Reading E-Books and PDF's without a computer? Anything out there?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cassetti, Jun 6, 2006.

1. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Well i have a large collection of books on my computer. various pdf's.

I have TONS of stuff i want to read, but i don't have time to lug the books around.

I also like reading web pages but i hate lugging around my laptop and draining power (its a dell 700m - and while light - the battery is a LEMON - it lasts only like 15 minutes - i kid you not)

So i remember there were a few e-book reader gadgets out back in 2000, and sony is comming out with their e-ink sony reader - that will cost $350 - but it won't even have color!

I don't mine the glare of a screen.

Most people would say - get a palm PDA or simliar PDA and read books.

Ever try reading a PDF on a palm Tungsten T2?

I have - the screen is WAYYY too small.

I want something at least twice as big.

Is there any hope for me? I want to find something that is at least twice the size of a PDA screen - so i can easily read the pdf the way it was layed out, and in color.

Granted i would also like to be able to highlight areas to read or look at later. But still - i'd think by now there is somethign out there to satisfy me.

Thanks for any help you can give to a gadget freek looking to use his collection of bookz

2. HardTech

HardTech hungry

wait for the new UMPC devices

Microsoft Origami

3. Dominion

Dominion I believe you have my stapler.

If all your pdfs are books and not technical manuals or the like why not grab a cheap PDA (palm or windows mobile) and convert your PDFs to another format? that's what I do with mine, I convert my PDF's to an editable 'text style' format thats readible by mobipocket and go on about my business. The formating is sometimes a little off but I don't have to carry around 400 books, they're all stored on my axim.

The only exception to this is things like technical manuals or PDF's with alot of pictures or specialty formating.

Other than that, like the guy above said, wait for the next round of devices t ocome out. Not sure how much they will cost thought =/

4. cassetti

cassetti New Member

because many of them are tech manuals and images are just as important as the text.

Plus a pda screen is still way too small.

The MS origami looks too small for my needs

i found out about this gadget called the hitatchi cybook - expensive - but right size for what i'm looking for.

I guess now i'm going to consider getting a simple small older tablet pc - and possibly converting it to linux for better performance and compatiblity (i hate windows 95 and 98 which is so common on those older and cheaper tablet pcs)