READ THIS, THE ARCHIVES, & NUTRITION EDU BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition Archives' started by fatmoocow, Dec 21, 2003.

1. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

***If you post a question that is easily answered in the Archives, in this thread, or with a quick search it will be locked and you will join my shit-list. Don't do that.***

-MGMNT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official noob links Please read this before posting.

Alright, in preparation for the influx of noobs, I have revived and edited the noob faq to be more informative and clear. Please keep this as a sticky rather than archiving.

Noobs

First off, there are only 3 possible goals related to fitness. They include:

increasing muscle
    decreasing fat
    increasing performance (running faster/longer, lifting more weight, ect)

It is impossible to shrink fat in just one part of your body Ie you can't "tone" your arms or stomach. You can only lose fat everwhere or nowhere. You can however, gain muscle in just one spot. Losing fat can be done relatively fast, however gaining muscle takes a long ass time, and ladies, you are never going to get "big and bulky," especially without steriods, so go out and lift.

If you want to achieve any of these three goals, you need to exercise and eat right. Both are required if you want to make real progress.

Diet

Read this first Diets

This will give you a rough idea of what foods are “good” vs. “bad.” Though these are not really absolutes. Ideally you want to be eating “clean" meaning things that are good for you and your body can use to make muscle (chicken breast with no skin instead of pizza, cutting out refined sugars/gross carb stuff, etc ). Also it is very important to drink plenty of water throughout the day, forget the sodas.

Next figure your maintence calories:

Go to body fat calculator and figure up you body fat percentage (ignore the rest for now).

[RMR (Resting metabolic rate) X Activity Factor] + Thermic Effect of Food= Maintenance Calorie Intake
    {[10 x (LBM in lbs) + 500] X Activity Factor} + (TEF)

Where RMR = 10 x (LBM in lbs) + 500

And Activity Factors =
    1.2-1.3 for Very Light (bed rest)
    1.5-1.6 for Light (office work/watching TV)
    1.6-1.7 for Moderate (some activity during day)
    1.9-2.1 for Heavy (labor type work)

TEF (thermic effect of food)= 10-15% X RMR

so 150 lbs of lean body mass for a moderately active person = [10 x 150 + 500] X 1.6 + .10(10 x 150 + 500) = 3400 calories

If you are cutting you should intake about .85 X your maintence calories or 2890 in the example above.

Your protien intake should be around 1.5 grams per lb of lean body mass. For the above example this would be 225g per day.

You protien and calories for the day should be split into 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day. Each meal should have some protein.

To key to getting your diet fixed, is preparation. If you have lots of good food sitting around and no shitty food, you’ll be less likely to eat shitty food.

Routines

First off, doing heavy free weight compound movements ( Squats Deadlifts and more deadlifts) will do more for you than almost anything else, regardless of your goals. This includes you women! Try to avoid the machines (cables not included) they restrict your movement and do not allow you to work your stabilizers. Weak stabilizers = more injuries. Free weights are your friend. Just doing curls and bench isn't going to do it either.

Genneral info for beginners

There are a variety of suitable routines here Routines

You want a basic split routine of 3-5 days using different body parts each day. Trying to do a full body routine generally leads to overtraining.

animated gifs of proper form You can go here and look up each exercise to see what they are how how to do them.
    Quick reference for more animated gifs

Abs: working your abs isn’t going to make your gut go away. You can only shrink fat all over your body, not in just one place. Here is some ab info though ab work more ab work

Bulking (gaining muscle)

Are you skinny? Go here: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?threadid=699488

Cutting (losing fat)

Are you fat?

To lose fat (hence get the fat off your abs so you can see them) you must bring in less calories than you are using in a day. If you are cutting you should intake about .85 X your maintenance calories or 2890 in the example above.

Generally it is advised that you Cut no more than 500 calories below your maintenance level. If you try to starve yourself you will make it harder to lose weight.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/training/winning_2.htm

HIIT

If you are in shape, most people here would recommend you do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) where you work out at high intensities for short intervals (who would have imagined?) This technique burns a much more fat then slow cardio.

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

Interval training may increase cardiovascular endurence more than medium intensity slowmo cardio study

Keto (atkins, southbeach, etc)

If you are extremely obese or you are in a hurry to loose weight keto may be for you. In keto you cut our carbs and as a result burn a higher percentage of fat for energy. Most of us will generally advise you to try a targeted ketogenic diet or one where you periodically load up on carbs, as opposed to pure atkin’s style. Many people also have a lot of success with just cutting out simple carbs (sugar) and keeping overall carbs to a reasonable level, without going into ketosis (100-150g of carbs/day).

Some of the mistakes people make on keto include not getting enough fat, not getting enough calories, and eating to much protein. It is not necissary to do keto to lose weight. If you start eating clean and bring the overall carbs down to a reasonable level, you will do fine, it will just take longer. Also be carefull on keto and limit high intensity work.

http://www.c-k-d.com/
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forum...p?s=&forumid=61
    www.low-carb.org/faq

If you are skinny/fat bulk first then cut. It will be easier.

Working out at home

It's best to just suck it up and go to the gym, but if you can't: body weight exercises more body weight exercise

Again stay away from machines if possible (bowflex).

You can also put together an excellent gym at home for very little money. All you really need is a good adjustable bench (decline and incline) and some dumbells which can all be had for < $200. When you get more money you can add on a standard 300lb barbell set for < $150 and a rack/cage for ~$250. Play it again sports usually has pretty good deals and they will negotiate. Garage sales are a great place to find equipment especially in August at college towns. An excellent cage can be made from 2x4's and some pipe for < $75, link to come when mine is finished.

Nutrition Facts, tracking your diet

Go to fitday and keep track of what you eat (note, the fitday numbers are often way off, so it’s best to put in the nutrition info yourself). This info will be helpful if you aren't getting the results you want and need advice. At nutrition data you can get nutrition data.

Suppliments

And finally there is no magic pill or magic powder. It will take a long ass time to make real progress, however if you going to be around for a long ass time you might as well be in good shape.

A word of caution: do your research before taking a supplement. There are a lot of things out there that could be potentially dangerous and there is no indication on the label as to the side effects. You can walk into GNC and come out with anabolic steroids stronger than anything available in the 70’s and not even know it. M1t comes to mind.

If you have any questions about specific supplements search or read the archives

If you do want suppliments go here

www.1fast400.com <-- Put Offtopic.com in the comments and you might get some free stuff, they usually have the best prices, and by far the best customer service

www.blackstarlabs.com
    www.dpsnutrition.net
    www.beyond-a-century.com
    www.netrition.com/

GNC is overpriced. The stuff you get at the supermarket will probably taste like ass and be over priced as well.

If you search around you will get a feel for what brands most people use, so you don't buy something that tastes like ass and doesn't work.

Given that, chocolate Optimum whey is the favorite around here for the money (10lbs at a time).

If your lactose intolerant try lactaide or dairy ease 2% instead of milk. Stay away from soy and soy milk soy is bad m’kay

Creatine

What is creatine? Creatine is a performance enhancer, and will only help you if you are working out. It's best to take pre or post workout with carbs (dextrose ie gatorade). Some creatine already has the carbs.

A bit of advice to all you New Year’s resolution people. Don’t go out tomorrow and try to run 10 miles, do a full body workout, and eat 10 cans of tuna. Take a step at a time and try to do just a little more than you did the day before. Start by going to the gym a couple times a week, add 30g’s of protein to your diet, and cut out the cokes. When you’ve got that under control, ramp it up a notch. You’ll be less likely to give it up.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2006
  2. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

one anal clarification - HIIT doesn't burn a greater percentage of fat than low-intensity, it burns a greater amount of total fat.

3. fatmoocow

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2004
  4. fatmoocow

5. Enigma

Enigma Guest

6. indianghetto69er

indianghetto69er New Member

i'm barely gaining weight :/

7. M4A1

M4A1 :)

I'm a noob and would like to say that I found this thread useful.

8. TRoddick

TRoddick Make It Happen

Excellent info, this is exactly the kind of thread I was looking for :cool:

9. waylander

waylander New Member

GuOD gave me this link in another thread and it really helped me out. It illustrates the different excercises for each muscle group and shows you how to do them

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

10. bait

bait New Member

can anyone comment on the diet page's relevancy to running as opposed to body building?

11. Mecca

Mecca I'm a Baller i got Balls.

this is confusing me

12. PleaseEatSomeShit

PleaseEatSomeShit 1-900-RAT-FUCK

13. armond

armond New Member

14. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

15. KetchupKing

KetchupKing New Member

16. size18boarder

size18boarder rhetorical OT Supporter

17. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Can we add www.avantlabs.com to the supplement section. A bunch of their shit (mostly their new stuff) can only be ordered directly from them.

18. Supreme Allah

Supreme Allah The terrorists won.

19. bokhan

bokhan i love you

what's a good site for nutritional info?

20. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

www.fitday.com

21. CrazyFukr

CrazyFukr Guest

i weigh 220 lbs, so i should have 440 grams of protein every day?

22. pt

pt New Member

That would be a good goal to aim for yes.

23. s_ride

s_ride Guest

im reasonably educated in fitness, or thought i was, and still learned some things in this thread, thanks.

24. finalflash

finalflash New Member

i am not a newbie at the gym but i found it interesting to read that sticky..
    some usefull stuff there

25. thomez

thomez Guest

I read the dieting information and figured out how many calories and grams of protein I should be eating per day, but I didn't see anything about how many carbs I should be eating or limiting myself to per day. Is there a formula to figure this out or... :dunno:

The only numbers I saw were for kitosis which were 100-150/day ... what about normal?