Read this in case of main forum Android sackriding/iPhone hate...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jonny Chimpo, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Problems with Google FailPhone 1.0:

All that and the UI is an ugly, disjointed pile of wet fecal matter....what a deal! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

source article: http://gizmodo.com/5053747/android-and-t+mobile-g1s-five-most-obnoxious-flaws

2. dmora

dmora Guest

i lub mah iphone. :hug:

3. Jonny Chimpo

werd, brah.

I like mine just as much now as I did the day I bought it (the day after the original 1.0 release) and I have zero desire to change phones. I've never been able to say that about any other phone.

4. inamorata

inamorata New Member

its grrrrrreat

5. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

:bowdown:

i phone killa

6. _Trev_

_Trev_ Ya gotta pay the troll toll... OT Supporter

The G1 is a pretty big disappointment. I'll get one to try it but will most likely stick with my N95

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Don't forget that the G1 is only the first Android phone. Yet, it is a bit disappointing to start, but it is coming from a completely different angle than the iPhone. I wouldn't even say that the two phones are targeting the same people. The iPhone is very Apple. It does exactly what Apple made it to do with some simple apps made by approved developers. Like all Apple products, it is completely controlled by Apple. It is also very slick, very well integrated and very limited in capabilities where Apple wants to limit it (no MMS, no copy/paste, no turn-by-turn GPS directions, no background processes).

The G1, on the other hand, is very open so you can make it do almost whatever you want. It is the openess that seems like it'll make it very popular with geeks who are willing to deal with some goofiness and with some limited features up front in order to have a project. Not for me, personally, but it can have a pretty good future when someone else releases a less goofy looking phone.

8. Jonny Chimpo

:hsugh:

Android (as an OS) really needed about another year in the incubator. This product seems more like a 0.5beta release than a 1.0 release. From what I've seen of the UI in videos (and now in details of the features) everything about this device seems half baked and unfinished.

Defending it as an "open source" product that is free and accessible is just putting the proverbial lipstick on the pig. It may very well grow into a robust and interesting product with great features, but that doesn't get past the fact that this release will clearly appeal more to geeks and developers and far, FAR less to normal users.

9. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

:werd: compared to iphone 1.0.x or 1.1.1 android should be like 0.3.

10. _Trev_

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Nokia N95-4 8gb: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.10781/730; U; en))

The best thing that can happen to android is getting it onto other existing phones with superior hardware. The software has immense potential. More than the iPhone with apple's app store, considering there are no restrictions.

I doubt it will take much away from symbian's dominant market share. Probably more from winmo and converting non smartphone users.

And btw, there is already a video player in the app database.

11. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

no headphone jack = instafail :bowrofl:

12. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

Almost as bad as a recessed jack :eek3:

13. inamorata

inamorata New Member

ALMOST! :o

14. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/23/t-mobile-g1-video-hands-on/

in the first video they show the G1 side by side with the iPhone browsing engadget.com. the iPhone is much smoother. i am pretty disappointed with this first release of the phone. i'd accept a somewhat fucked up OS, but the shitty hardware just makes no sense. no headphone jack. the slide keyboard just seems cheap in the video. overall it just feels like it could have been a high end phone from 5 years ago, but you just need more these days. it is like HTC put as little money into the hardware figuring the OS would carry it.

15. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Google got $10 million on venture capital to promote development of applications for the G-Phone. Apple has $100 million.

16. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

its gonna suck balls

17. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

the first one will most likely suck, but future versions will definitely get better. they certainly cut corners to get this one to market.

just remember though that this isn't necessarily in the market to go head to head with the iPhone at least directly. there is still a huge market of people who don't want iPhones for any number of reasons including lack of a full qwerty keyboard, MMS and video recording.

so, as compared directly to the iPhone, i think the iPhone is a much nicer and more refined package, but the G1 (or any Android phone) has a lot more potential. give it a few months and i'm sure the Android apps will top the iPhone apps in almost every instance.

18. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

What makes you say that?

19. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

20. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Hardware looks like shit but Android could be promising.

Competition is always a good thing.

21. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

well, you gotta figure that many apps for the iPhone will be ported to Android as well. then, Android is going to be more open, so more people will be involved writing apps for it including many people who are all into the open source stuff. there will most likely be a ton more software released for Android, most of which will be garbage, but quite a lot will be as good as or better than the iPhone apps. Apple just enforces so much control over what developers are allowed to do on their platform, plus if the developers have more access to the OS they can do some good stuff (and some very bad stuff).

it is all a tradeoff.

22. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Since the input source won't be the same for all Android phones it's gonna make having a common interface for your application fairly hard.

23. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

not to mention some of the coolest apps take advantage of the iPhone's multi-touch and accellerometer, and after watching the videos the G1 isn't quite up to par with the iPhone in that respect.

I don't know. I'm certainly interested in Android but mostly for future updates. So far I'm relatively unimpressed with it, given my iPhone's functionality. I'm disappointed that Google would have been a part of this rushed device - it seems to lack a lot of polish.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  24. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

don't be confused. i'm not saying the G1 will be a great phone. i'm thinking that Android as a phone OS has a promising future, though based more on potential than anything i've seen so far. there are supposedly Android phones in the pipeline with multitouch and stuff like that.

25. _Trev_