MIL Read the FAQs, have some personalized questions.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kilian, Aug 17, 2009.

1. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

Me:
    Top 5% of my highschool class, at Northeastern University Honors program now on a merit scholarship.
    Majoring in Criminal Justice.
    2 years left of undergraduate study (5 year program), will be 22 when I graduate.

Career wise I want to look at graduate school for international affairs or international security; however, I am also considering the military as an option due to the direct involvement in international affairs (obviously) as opposed to a diplomatic involvement which I have experienced and find unsatisfactory (spent a month at the United Nations in Switzerland studying/meeting with ambassadors).

1) What branch would be best for my interests and where would I fall as an officer/recruit if I did join?
    2) What is the situation with schooling if I do join a branch? Is graduate school then paid for by the military? (not looking to join and sit out my time for the free grad school, just would like to go either way if I join or not)
    3) Any other general advice people with experience can apply to my situation?

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

This can only be decided by you. Each branch has it's differences and drawbacks.
    Graduate school is paid for up to $4500 per year for most branches. Post 9/11 GI Bill will pay up to the maximum amount of tuition that a public school charges in the state of the University you are attending.
    Stay in school and get your masters, join up and use the military to pay for your PhD.