GUN Read my letter, find mistakes. v. gun laws to congress

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by striker754, Jul 27, 2006.

1. striker754

striker754 Chillin

I have some major problems with the Federal Government's stance on the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. I have seen bills and amendments brought up by you in the House and definitely agree with them, however I think the truly important issues are not being attacked and I would really like to see something done about them. The following is long, but I really feel strongly about it and would like you to hear my position.

The National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA) needs to be abolished. The NFA contains useless and unconstitutional laws. How do we allow the government to set people up and give a definitive reason of what exactly the people are going to do with these weapons without anything actually occurring? The NFA does exactly this. It defines some "scary and evil" weapons as restricted. With certain cases, such as, machine guns, destructive devices, and silencers, it even bars owning parts to assemble. Depending on what judge is ruling the federal court system on a given day, possessing parts that can be assembled into a short barreled weapon can also be illegal. The Supreme Court has stated that mere possession of parts to assemble a weapon into a short barreled version is legal until the weapon is assembled. The wording of the NFA backs this Supreme Court finding. However, lower courts have ruled opposite after the United States vs. Thompson/Center Arms ruling. What ever happened to checks and balances, or the Supreme Court being the highest court in the land?

Possessing parts with absolutely no intention of construction lands you ten years in federal prison along with a $250,000 fine. Intent to assemble is automatically assumed by the ATF no matter what. As you may know, demilitarized machine gun parts kits are unregulated items. Many of these legal parts kits use a simple, commonly available, steel tube for their receiver. A machinegun receiver is a controlled item, per the NFA, defined in 26 USC 5845 b. It is reasonable to believe that a law citizen could simply possess a tube of the required diameter out on his pipe rack or in his scrap steel pile. Templates for cutting the correct holes in the receivers are unregulated items easily available on the internet. Printing out a template from the internet for academic purpose is definitely not unreasonable. According to the NFA, the citizen has committed a federal felony and can possibly forfeit ten years of his life and $250,000 dollars of his hard earned money. How has it gone this far? Why do we continue to waste our tax money on prosecuting these victimless crimes? We throw people in federal prison for 10 years for victimless gun crime. Ten years for a victimless crime. I suppose we can throw out the Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution, while we are walking all over the Second Amendment. People who murder have been sentenced to less time. What is wrong with this? Should local governments start making DUI arrests of those who own a car and drink alcohol? A person who owns a car and consumes alcohol has all the necessary items needed to “construct” a DUI offense. Similar to the wording of the NFA, which states in the definition of a machine gun, “…any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.” Neither person has done any wrong, but using the fundamentally flawed position of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and the NFA wording, if they can, they will. A similar situation would be issuing speeding citations to anyone driving a car with the capability of exceeding the speed limit. No actual crime is committed; however, the government wrongfully assumes intent. Would you charge someone with arson if they possessed two common household items known as gasoline and matches? There are an infinite amount of cases similar to these listed above, yet the only one that is enforced, or even considered, is firearms.

With regards to the above issue, the ATF needs desperate change. I am aware there is a current bill designed to help stimulate this change. I do not anticipate the change will be enough. The ATF hunts out unsuspecting citizens and basically entraps them into committing federal firearms violations. What has the United States government come to if we are putting people in prison for ten years because their rifle has a barrel that is 15 inches long instead of 16 inches? ATF has issued letter that some legal semi automatic firearms must be designed so that the original short barrel cannot be fitted to the weapon. I have to ask, why? If this is the case, why are we not going after people who own a gun and a tool to cut steel? After all, anyone can convert a rifle into a short barrel version in a few seconds with a cutting tool. If ATF could go after these people on firearms charges, it seems like they would.

The NFA and ATF enforcement has caused at least three separate incidents that were, and still are national news stories. The incident at Ruby Ridge was very directly related to an ATF short barrel shotgun setup of a law abiding citizen. Many tax dollars wasted, many people dead, all the direct result of the ATF undercover operation to trick one citizen into committing a victimless gun crime. Next is the incident in Waco, Texas involving the Branch Dividians. A religious group minding their own business in their own building, yet the federal government decides to interfere in more victimless crime. Both cases lead up to the Oklahoma City Bombing. Tim McVeigh, angry at the federal government, chose the wrong ways to express his unrest, but he was definitely justified in having that unrest. These are major eyesores for this country over something guaranteed in the Constitution.

Supreme Court rulings in 1939 would have already overturned the NFA if the United States government did not tell blatant lies about the usefulness of NFA items in the Supreme Court. In United States vs. Miller, Miller is charged with possession of an unregistered short barreled shotgun. The Supreme Court opinion states:

“In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length' at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment or that its use could contribute to the common defense.”

The Supreme Court implies that if a weapon had a militia or military use, it would be illegal to regulate this item like the NFA does. The US military used short barreled Winchester 1897 shotguns in World War I. As time has progressed, the above quote has become even more inapplicable. Allied soldiers fighting in World War II used numerous short barreled weapons including but not limited to: Thompson M1A1, M3A1 Grease gun, and the British Sten. The military or militia use of NFA items certainly does not end at short barreled weapons. The military and militia use includes machine guns, silencers, any other weapons (AOW), and destructive devices. Our soldiers fighting overseas are currently using these weapons. Why has the NFA not been eliminated, when even the Highest Court in the land has implied it should be eliminated?

How come this nation does not have a national concealed carry license? Criminals do not want to commit crime if they fear there is danger to themselves. Criminals want an easy way out. Driver's licenses and other documents not even mentioned in the US Constitution are recognized nation wide, but there is not provision to exercise the very right to “bear arms” guaranteed in the Constitution. I think it can be reasonably stated that criminals will conceal their weapons either legally or illegally. You see this on the nightly best videos shows. A criminal pulls out a concealed weapon, for which he probably does not have a permit for. It is apparent that criminals do not care what the laws state, so what can be bad about a law abiding citizen having a concealed weapon as well?

On the same topic of nation wide concealed carry permits, why is there no national law stating that a person can defend themselves, their property, and their homes without fear of legal or criminal repercussions? A person should be able to defend their life, liberty and pursuit of happiness without being punished. Instead, we should punish the criminal who is the real wrongdoer.

Let’s push for stronger penalties for using firearms in crimes. Why does the United States fear letting people who obey the law have firearms? Anyone can make a machinegun easily. There is plenty of media available detailing the process. Anyone can make a short barreled weapon, as stated above by simply cutting off the barrel. The problem is the person committing the act, not the tool being used. If we enacted legislation whenever someone misused a tool, the majority of this country would be in prison. To further prove that firearms are not the problem, a recent story details about a person who went on a stabbing spree, and was stopped by a person who had a concealed firearm. Are we going to enact legislation banning knives because one person misused them? Should we restrict automobiles whenever someone drives drunk and kills a person?
    The North Hollywood shootout shows how incredibly useless gun control legislation actually is. Two laws were in place that should have prevented this event. The NFA required that the two offenders register their automatic weapons. The Firearm Owner’s Protection Act (Pub. Law 99-308) has banned new production of machine guns for civilians. In theory, these two criminals should not have been able to obtain these machine guns. This incident is just further proof that criminals do not follow the laws, nor do they care about the laws. Criminals will keep committing their crimes. Let’s arm our citizens to defend themselves against criminals, stop taking away freedom, and further stiffen the penalties for using firearms in crimes.

The person behind the tool is the problem, not the tool being used. Allow citizens who obey the law to do what they please in America (supposedly the land where you are free and can do almost anything) as long as they are not infringing on another’s rights. Severely punish those who do wrong with these rights granted to them. Randy Weaver did no harm to anyone in purchasing two shotguns with barrels shorter than 18 inches. Look what the useless gun control legislation and government turned it into.

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sounds good to me, let us know if you get any real responces from it.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

tealdeer.

Here's the advice I would give you. Your congresscritter probably isn't going to read your letter. His slave labor may read over it and pick a few points out to put in a tall of "people that support x". I would make your points as obvious and concise as possible. Bullet points if you will. if you turn it into a rambling rant about an agency out to get people you're going to come off as a wackadoo and your letter is going to the trash. Be brief, throw in some hard facts, and don't get too rambling or conversational.

Have some distinct point and don't sound like "poor me, oppressive government, 2nd amendment, revolution, right to arms."

Dear congressman,
    I'm writing you today to ask for the immediate repeal for the NFA and for stronger sentencing for crimes committed with firearms.

The NFA should be repealed because the 2076 FBI study on fun things that go bang shows that it doesn't work because. This is evidenced by recent events like:

We must have more strict punishment for criminals who commit acts of violence with a firearm. In 2045 74% of all killers used a firearm and 54% were out on probatin in 2065 according to the department of justice's report on scary people with mullets.

Sincerely,
    Tinny F. Hat

I also disagree with you on national concealed carry but thats beside the point ;)

4. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Hopefully they dont overlook all of the time you spent on it.

5. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Well what should I do to the letter then? All the letter makes points on why the NFA is dead wrong.

6. BigBadJohn

Just take each point/suggestion to him, and make it a small paragraph. And on the top of each paragraph have an indented heading that says basically what you want him to know out of the paragraph

Ex: Why it is a good idea to have national concealed carry:
    *bullet* Then type in whatever you have supporting it
    Then go on to the next point:
    *bullet* ETC.

EDIT: If he doesnt answer your letter with a reasonable response within a ouple weeks, then just send him one letter a day every day of the exacyt same thing. And number them, so that they can keep track of how many hundreds of them they get.

Also, include newsclippings of instances where a gun was used to help out

The trick is to get so annoying that they will do something just so you leave them alone

7. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

mature a little bit, get some college writing classes under your belt, and try again... oh, and it's surpressors, not silencers

but seriously i'm half way through and you sound like a fuckin nutjob... you bad mouth the U.S. Government, and then sort of side with a terrorist (OKC bombing). good points in general, but you DEFINATELY need to go about them in a different way, and different format. Also, back up your opinions with evidence. You wouldn't submit this kind of paper to even a high school teacher, would you? Take some time and give it the time the subject deserves.

8. striker754

striker754 Chillin

I usually write fairly well, but I had some trouble writing this piece especially with all the situations and things. I do admit that it is a bit wordy and akward in some spots, but how else do you prove your point without situations like this?

Anyways, siding with McVeigh's dispute with the federal government and not liking how he took his anger out is perfectly fine I think. I would think someone could reason that out.

Not really sure how to back situations like these with evidence. How do you back banning metal chop saws with evidence? The supreme court case is the main point really and the evidence for the whole thing.

My congresswoman is really really pro gun, so i dont think she really needs convincing that guns are good, im just trying to get her to start something with the NFA.

http://musgrave.house.gov/Issues/Issue/?IssueID=1496

9. striker754

striker754 Chillin

I dont want the registration, taxes, etc. The alternative for them is punishing people more harshly. I really doubt the govt makes a ton of money on NFA taxes.

I dunno. I might stop by her office tomorrow

10. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

it's suppressors.

11. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

I would be surprised if the letter even gets opened... were the "little people"

12. striker754

striker754 Chillin

dunno. f the letter. im going to her office, see if i can get a meeting.

13. striker754

striker754 Chillin

I think my view has switched to having a meeting with her and seeing what she is up for and if she will actually do something. Make a "compromise" by keeping the scary machine guns under the NFA and FOPA. Keep DDs under the NFA too. And work for freeing up short barrels, suppressors, and AOWs.

14. BigBadJohn

You cant really talk about taking away money from the government. They will just throw away your letter after reading into it. Come up with an idea that lets the govt keep its money and waste it on welfare, and corrupt politicians, while at the same time benefitting us. I would be happy with paying the fees and stuff as long as its a one time thing per gun, including fees for a federal license to carry, and they dont take away any more of my rights.

15. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

The grammar in the second paragraph could use some cleaning up. There are small mistakes throughout most of the letter but the glaring ones were in the second paragraph.

When you mention these news articles make sure and send them links or include printouts of the articles with the letters. Make sure and provide examples of the ATF's alleged entrapment of innocent civilians.

If you're going to mention WACO and Ruby Ridge make sure that you include detailed accounts of the events. It's been pushed to the back of people's minds and now most people just remember them as a bunch of whack jobs.

Saying things like "what's stopping ATF from prosecuting people for owning a shotgun and a saw that's capable of chopping the barrel down from prosecuting innocent civilians" doesn't help your case much. It's obvious that the ATF isn't prosecuting cases like this so it just discredits you.

Be careful what you wish for with the national concealed carry permit. Personally, I think that they should just abolish CCLs altogether.

Make sure and mention how no one was killed in the Hollywood shootout except for the criminals. Fifteen people were wounded. None of them seriously. Obviously machine guns aren't the instruments of mass death and destruction that the media makes them out to be.

You want to know the main reason that the NFA won't be abolished? Because the people who should be fighting the hardest towards making it go away own those types of weapons and would lose their ass if they suddenly became legal. It's become an elitist status symbol in the gun world. If all of a sudden anyone can buy them then they won't be worth thousands of dollars anymore. The ones who oppose them will continue to fight tooth and nail to oppose them. The guys like you or me are the ones that don't have the money to afford them. Obviously if we don't have the money to afford them then we don't have the money to fight to make them legal again, either. What's the lesson here boys and girls? Money talks. Especially in America. When you get some money you'll probably be able to get some things done.

16. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

This is what's wrong with America today. What a crock of shit.

17. daviid

daviid cell tower tech

i would change this

On the same topic of nation wide concealed carry permits, why is there no national law stating that a person can defend themselves, their property, and their homes without fear of civil or criminal repercussions? A person should be able to defend their life, liberty and pursuit of happiness without being punished. Instead, we should punish the criminal who is the real wrongdoer.

18. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

sounds like a good letter, but it would probably be more effective if it was sent to media outlets rather than congress. Also, I notice you talk about the NH Back Robbery. You should look up the applicable CA laws that were violated.

19. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

and wtf have you done today to try and fix the world :slap:

20. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I'm just saying if I were writing it I would approach it from a different angle, and take the time to write it correctly. I don't want to take the time to fix your errors, that's not my problem.

DSking
    :squint: correcting grammar and format!=spelling on an internet forum

21. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Agree with comments to make it shorter and use bullet points.

I doubt something that long would get read fully.

22. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Silencer is the common term.

The original inventor called it a Silencer.

From SAAMI's Glossary: SILENCER
    A device attached to the muzzle of a firearm to reduce the noise of discharge. Sometimes called a Suppressor. Heavily regulated under 1934 National Firearms Act.
    http://www.saami.org/Glossary/display.cfm?letter=S

From NRA's Firearm Glossary: SILENCER
    A virtually prohibited device for attachment to a gun's muzzle for reducing (not silencing) the report. Better terms would be "sound suppressor" or "sound moderator."
    http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FireArmsGlossary/Default.aspx

From the NFA and ATF Form 4:
    "(7) a muffler or silencer for any firearm whether or not such firearm is included within this definition"
    http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f53204.pdf

23. Furner

Furner New Member

24. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Viva La revalution:noes:

25. Furner

Furner New Member

its from our own declaration of independence....did you know that?