MIL Re-up v.decisions decisions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ggr12, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ggr12

ggr12 . OT Supporter

so im more than likely going to reenlist this summer and have a few options. My ets is 2010 but once i leave my current assignment ill only have ~10 months and am not looking to get screwed by stop/loss and miss a chance at a bonus. Any route i take will be a 4yr reenlistment. Im looking to get some opinions as far as what would be a decent next assignment. My current #1 is to go for another oconus assignment in germany(or anywhere in europe there's a slot). Which is a 36 month tour so I would have the option to ets from there upon completion(possibly:squint:) if i decide to. #2 is to go conus station of choice to a 704 MI unit. But in doing a CONUS tour i'm thinking that i could get put on assignment after 24 months and have to PCS from there with <12 months remaining until ets. Ive read all i can find for each option but am looking for some input from those who have experience. btw 35T and a SPC.

2. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

Germany is a TWO year tour, unless you are married. You can try to make it a 3 year, which a lot of people easily do with paperwork.

The exchange rate is TERRIBLE over here in Europe right now and I suggest you steer clear until thing settle down, if they ever do. I have been here since 2005 and have watched the price of the dollar evaporate, it sucks.

There is a lot to do over here if you are willing to get raped spending Euro.

Snoop around, talk with your branch manager and tell them your deal. See if they can work something for you. I heard from a bird that people with a lot of dwell time are not getting the sham assignments anymore...

3. ggr12

ggr12 . OT Supporter

:rly:

yeah i have noticed the dollar taking a shit. The main reason i'd want to be in Europe is to travel. Not so much if it's going to cost 1.5x as much. Ill be in contact w/ branch through my chain at first to see what the deal is. Not too sure how they'll like lowly ole E4 callin 'em up.

4. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

you do NOT need your chain to talk to branch...you can do it on your own, or have your Battalion or Brigade retention NCOs talk to them.