SRS Re: The 'addict' word

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by d00d00, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d00d00

d00d00 In cold blood

It seems to me that society or certain cultures/subcultures seem a little quick to stick the addict label to people. To me 3 or 4 drinks a week does not qualify you as an addict. In fact 10 drinks doesn't either, nor does a line of speed every other night. There are certain ways to live your life and unless you are doing it with the intent of damaging your own life or the others around you then I think the addict label is a little unfair and perhaps inappropriate. Obviously there are exceptions but I think it all comes down to society not wanting to accept the fact that individuals choose to live their life a little differently from the rest of 'us', and I feel that in quite a few cases, the addict label and the measures taken to correct 'addicts' can be more damaging than the lives they were leading before intervention. Opinions?

2. bigbade

bigbade New Member

I agree somewhat an 'addict' is someone who cant stop using without help and is either doing harm to His/Her life or the life of others around them. IMO

3. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Who is an addict?

"Most of us do not have to think twice about this question. We know! Our whole life and thinking was centred in drugs in one form or another – the getting and using and finding ways and means to get more. We lived to use and used to live. Very simply, an addict is a man or woman whose life is controlled by drugs. We are people in the grip of a continuing and progressive illness whose ends are always the same: jails, institutions and death."
    -Narcotics Anonymous

It is true that these things will not QUALIFY you as an addict, what qualifies you as an addict is the obsession and compulsion to use. Obsession and compulsion will inevitably cause problems in your life, especially when your life is based around using.

However, this does not mean someone IS NOT an addict just because they only have 3 or 4 drinks a week, or they only do speed EVERY OTHER night. Take for example, a smaller person who gets intoxicated very easily. If, every Friday they drink 4 drinks in a row for the purpose of getting buzzed, and during the week all they think about is how great things are going to be on Friday when they are buzzed, they can be an addict too. If they act like fools when they are buzzed, and create wreckage in their lives, or drive, etc... I think it's obvious how someone who does speed every other night could be an addict ....
    I can only assume you are referring to societal laws against drugs, or alcohol. In my opinion, if you get in trouble with alcohol (drunk in public, drunk driving, fighting, etc) you probably do have the problem, and the government is doing you a favor by stepping in. There are laws against any use of narcotics though, but most drugs (besides pot) do have a higher addiction rate for those who try them. This means that the government is doing a favor to the addicts who are busted, they often get a chance to kick in jail, and are given the opportunity to go to a drug rehab program upon being released. For addiction the seed of denial is incredibly deep, a good number of addicts who walk through the doors of NA ended up there through the legal system, and their lives are often completely turned around. The government saves people's lives in this way. Jail and rehab is a far better alternative than death.

According to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science, 32 percent of people who try tobacco become dependent, as do 23 percent of those who try heroin, 17 percent who try cocaine, 15 percent who try alcohol and 9 percent who try marijuana.
    :eek3:

As far as doing speed every other day and NOT being an addict, well, it's possible, but in my opinion HIGHLY, HIGHLY unlikely. Methamphetamine is just brutal, and will consume your life quicker than you can blink. That devil bastard who lives in your head, will appear and tell you to do another line VERY quickly. :rant2:

"10 percent of people who try alcohol become addicted, compared to 98 percent of people who try meth ...," said Harrison, quoting Thomas Hall, coordinator of the Addiction Counseling Program at Kansas City Kansas Community College. :ugh:
    As far as this is concerned, in my opinion this may be true for some people that smoke pot, but usually the penalties aren't that stiff. Attending meetings is often the penalty, and that is educational, and often interesting. As far as other drugs are concerned, in my opinion, why would you use? And if you do use, use responsibly and covertly and you won't be labeled an addict. If you are dumb enough to get caught, chances are you probably are an addict. Total abstinence is better than perfect moderation. :bigthumb:

4. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

read rule #3 in the sticky at the top of this forum please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.