Re-school me

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by wyrmblight, Oct 1, 2008.

1. wyrmblight

wyrmblight Tá m'árthach foluaineach lán d'eascanna OT Supporter

Ok, for the past 6 years I've had a silver car, and only once in a while detailed a friends dark colored car. Now I have a brand new 2008 Santa Fe that is deep water blue, or as most people tell me, black. It looks like it was on the front of the trailer as it has some bugs stuck to the back of the car, although not sure if it will require a clay bar or not. I'm afraid I've lost the knowledge on how to make the dark colored car really shine and get that mirrored look.

Here is what I have:
    Zaino Clay bar
    Zanio Show car Polish
    s100 Paste wax
    Poorboys Professional polish
    Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax (white liquid not brown)
    Opti-Seal
    Optimum Car Wax
    Optimum Poli-Seal
    Mequiars Mirrow Glaze 16 professional paste wax.

Now what I am missing, and which ones are best to use for a mirror look?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If the paint is swirl free, Poorboy's PP and Carnauba Moose will look absolutely killer on that color. Add a second coat of Carnauba Moose a week (and a wash) later, then the next wash, either go with Opti-Seal or OCW, then maintain monthly with either OCW or OS.

You also might want to look into Optimum No Rinse to wash your SUV, once you get the hang of it (takes a couple washes usually), you will be amazed how quickly you can wash it. Plus, the polymers that remove the dirt also add gloss and slickness with each wash.

3. Derek173

Derek173 Analyst and Therapist

You can put opti-seal over a Caranuba Wax?

I thought it had to be put on before applying Wax? Arent sealants (klausse, Poli-seal, opti-seal etc) supposed to be applied first because they wont stick to wax?

4. Scottwax

You can put Opti-Seal over cured carnaubas (best to also wash first). Definitely adds some wetness without losing the carnauba depth.

5. Derek173

Derek173 Analyst and Therapist

You are the man, that is good to know.

Does that apply to non polishing sealants like Klause High Gloss Sealant and UPGP that wont strip the wax or is this something special Opti seal can do?

I never knew you could put a sealant over a wax! I just got the opti-seal and thought I couldnt use it because I waxed th car a few weeks earlier. Could I put UPGP on over a wax also?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  6. wyrmblight

Thanks. If I can find my camera I will post some pictures.

I didn't see any swirl marks, just a few places where it looks like some bugs sat on the paint for a bit.

7. Scottwax

Derek-I believe you can also use UPGP over cured carnauba. The unique chemistry allows them (OS, UPGP, Zaino Clear Seal) to be used over pretty much any wax or sealant. Klasse SG, Zaino Z2/Z5, NXT2, etc will not properly bond to waxes.

8. wyrmblight

Well it looks better then when I got it. There is still some marks on the roof I couldn't get off. The camera wouldn't pick them up, will try to get a picture when its sunny out. The camera is not the best.

I have a friend who wants me to do his black BMW. He likes the ClearKote and ordered vanilla moose wax hand glaze, yellow moose cream wax and carnauba moose wax. How will that turn out, or will the poorboys be better.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  9. Scottwax

The Santa Fe looks pretty damn good to me! :)

I'd go with Clearkote on black. It has been my go to wax on black for quite some time now. My $80 jar of Souveran sits mostly unused.