Re-installing Windows on New Motherboard

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jimbo_jones, Dec 23, 2008.

1. jimbo_jones

jimbo_jones New Member

I post in here occasionally but I don't think I've ever started a thread.

A friend wanted me to try and repair an eMachines (I know, I know, I shouldn't even get involved, but I'm too nice) he bought a while back and I tested several things and finally decided that the motherboard was the culprit. I happened to have a motherboard that worked with the processor, and got some new RAM coming, but my question is this:
    I want to use his legit copy of Windows to re-install, but I'm afraid I will have trouble with the drivers for the new motherboard. Does any one have any experience in this area that they can offer?
    Thanks in advance.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You should be able to go the motherboard manufacturers site and grab the chipset drivers, etc.. I'd hop on their site first and check before you do the work though ;)

3. awns729

awns729 New Member

You might have touble getting windows to activate. You migth have to call Msoft. There's probably some info on this if you google it. Good luck.

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Take his existing install of Windows, and change the IDE/SATA controller drivers to the generic MS ones. Boot the machine with the new mobo installed and then run the installer for the new chipset drivers. Voila, you're done.

5. jimbo_jones

jimbo_jones New Member

Thanks guys for your advice, I really appreciate it.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

BTW, if the Windows license you have was an OEM (ie came pre-installed), the license is no longer valid.

7. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

I had to do this myself, and all I needed to do was pop the sata raid drivers on a floppy and do a "repair" on my installation booting from the cd. It asked for my windows key of course by I had no issues with that. After the reboot it was just a matter of getting the rest of the drivers installed in the now safe-mode-ish running windows and all was xlnt