RCA to VGA ideas?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lusankya, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Lusankya

Lusankya Just try and eat me, bitch.

OK, I know most people talk about MP3 players and monitors and other electronic goodies here, but this section is closest to what I'm talking about.

For school, we've been looking into buying a video board for mixing our vid feeds at things like pep rallys, assemblies, etc. Anyway, our school is privately owned, public operated (school board doesn't own the building but rents it) and as such we have a budget thats about 1/2 that of a public owned building. It's really retarded because the building owners charge us for everything.

I'm the Tech. Rep. for our Students' Council, and I can't go another pep rally without at least a decent switchboard, so I'm gonna save us some money and build one for the school myself (charge parts to the school).

I've got most of the board designed, except I need to find out what wires do what in an RCA video cable, and how to translate video RCA into VGA.

Does RCA break the video up into RGB? if not, does anyone have any ideas on breaking the RCA input up into RGB for the VGA monitor?

And no, the school does not have the money to buy a video board or even a switchboard with the features we need. Damn HRSB.

2. psychonate

psychonate I make baby jesus cry

Ok making just a cable is impossible from what I understand; you need an actual device to change the H-Sync from the NTSC's 15.734kHz to VGA's which is 31.469kHz. You need what is called an NTSC to VGA converter; Pelican Performance makes one model pl-936 check Wal-Mart/BesBuy/other stores for that model or others they are out there.

Only downfall to these are they only have one input so you would need an additional switch box which you could make or buy.

Here is one for 48 on the web.
    NTSC to VGA

eh that’s about all I can tell you, hope it helps ya.

3. chackrafool

chackrafool New Member

RCA into VGA..
    Aight what do you want to do?? Out of a VCR into a Projector?
    I suggest looking into BNC cable, which can work for both audio and video. But that dosen't convert an RCA into VGA?

4. chackrafool

chackrafool New Member

K , i just reread your post...Does VGA monitor = LCD projector???

5. Lusankya

Bingo.

That's exactly what I need, except I would much rather build one than buy it. $50 is a nasty dent per translator.

Here's a bit more detail on our setup:

We have a total of 6 cameras, one CD player and a VCR pumping out signals via RCA. These signals are normally fed directly into our LCD projector and sound board, both of which have RCA inputs. However, in order to switch feeds we need to unplug one device and plug in another. This used to work fine until one of the n00b techies pulled too hard and tugged a stack of three projectors and a speaker clear off the stand, destroying them all. The school is unwilling to pay a dime for a board to prevent this from happening again. I can't let those guys loose on our stuff like that again, and I really don't want to be the only one allowed to touch the projectors. We would use the VGA monitors to see what is being sent to each sub-output, and then rout a sub-output to the main output, going out into the sound box and projector(s).

BTW, the n00b is off the tech team, but that doesn't seem to be pleasing admin as much as I'd hoped.

:ugh: If this happens again my position as tech. rep. will be going down the crapper...

6. chackrafool

chackrafool New Member

Ok,
    Get a VDA DA ( Video Distribution Amp) The outs on these are usually BNC so get a BNC to RCA Adapter. To switch between the cameras get a simple Video switcher and if you have to hook up laptops then get a scan converter. It would help a bunch to get a Preview monitor so you can see what you have in cue, but it's not neccessary.
    The school is unwilling to pay a Dime??? Sounds like you're out of luck , cuz the equipment would cost a pretty penny.

7. Lusankya

Yeah that's why I was hoping for a schematic or something that I could build myself. The school does have the equipment to make PCBs (printed circuit boards) so I could build boards myself and program the chips, but admin is refusing to replace two of the projectors, so our yearly budget has gone to hell. We're given $300CDN, and now we're about $2700 in the hole.

The chips, PCB material, etc. can slip right through admin as long as we buy <$40 in materials every 2 weeks. Some of those converters would be spotted right away and I'd be screwed for charging it to the school.

8. Lusankya

Also, the VDA DA thing is not what I'm looking for.

So far the best thing I've seen is what psychonate found, the NTSC to VGA unit (post 2).

If anyone knows a cheaper converter, or have a schemaic for a PCB, please share!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2004
  9. Lusankya

Like this, except the signal in this schematic is running in the wrong direction:

[​IMG]

(Sorry to be postwhoring, I'm off and on while I search)

10. psychonate

psychonate I make baby jesus cry