RB26DETT swap, should I do it?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by nothing special, Apr 8, 2004.

1. I've been thinking about this swap for years and I'm thinking about dropping the cash and going through with the work. I know that RB26 parts aren't exactly available at the local parts store and I know I need new motor mounts, power steering pump, drive shaft, brakes and a suspension job. I know its money involved but the kind of performance I can get out of that motor just makes me grin. Besides it'd be kinda sleeper. :naughty:

I am looking for power in the range of 750-850rwhp so thats why I'm really contemplating the RB over the SR. I know I can make over 500rwhp on an SR but my real goal is 800hp plus. Few of my friends are saying go with the SR because its better weight distribution, and I can build the SR, etc. Talked to Mckinney Motorsports in SoCal and the guy was very knowledgeable about the swap and actually has an S13 with a 26 swap. He said the swap wouldn't be TOO bad on the weidght distribution with the MckinneyMotorsports mounts (54/46). So I'm thinkin' hey this is pretty feasible.

I know what I'm getting into but do you think this is something that'll just be a pain in the ass or worth my time and money? Also does anybody know how much hp the RB25 gearbox will handle before it grenades?

2. OH yea I'm wanting to swap this into my S14. Just so no confusion arises from this.

Thanks in advance :big grin:

3. Dark-Hawk

Dark-Hawk New Member

It's been done, but it costs alot of money. I wouldn't recomend doing it, I'd say just save your money and buy something nicer. But yeah fuck the SR20DET, if you're going to Turbo the Turbo the KA, it owns the SR20 IMHOP. Though yeah RB26 would be very nice. Good luck with what ever path you take though!

4. steve o

steve o OT Supporter

no
    why fuck up a car like that
    OH I HAVE A SKYLINE ENGINE ITS FAST BUT I CAN'T TURN

5. Dark-Hawk

Dark-Hawk New Member

steve o anyone who has it in their car is still able to drive fine with it in there.. Though yea with your target HP your car will not be able to be driven on the street.

6. 1337

1337 Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

if drag... then do itif you really want to, i guess
    but if you're gonna want to turn competetively... no

7. spoolinrb25det

spoolinrb25det Skyline Crew

what are you talking about.. HAVE YOU EVER DRIVEN A RB 240?? prolly not.. so that is hearsay... I ACTUALLY own a RB240... a 89 coupe with a rb25det... and the car turns just fine.. no differnce what so ever..
    i hate how everyone assumes that.. with out knowing anything about it.. or ever experianced it

8. Yeahdoug

Yeahdoug OT Supporter

Get a rb20DET. Thats what motor I would swap in if I had a 240

9. Who has seen an RB20 put down 700whp + ? The RB26DETT block has better metalurgy behind it than the RB20 block afaik.

I know the RB26DETT better than my own engine(s). Thats what I've read about for the past six years. Why not go with that when it'll swap into a 240 flawlessly with a few mods here and there?

The owner of McKinney Motorsports has an RB26DETT powered 240 and he told me his car turns just fine and can be set up for drifting if needed. You can get the car to neutral steer with the right suspension set up. You gota dish out the cash for coil overs with height adjustment, independent of dampening and you'll be a-ok.

My main concern was money because this is going to be a pretty damn expensive project. If I do decide to come up off my cash and do this I will be going with some advans, Tein EDFC, TCS and a Nismo lsd. Two of my friends here in Miami have single turbo supras so I'm sort of drawn that way..

10. TEC

TEC Guest

Not actually, the RB26 block can have major failures depending upon which block is used. This is why people who normally build up these blocks all run for the RB26 N1 blocks which are a much superior cast. Also, the stock rods and pistons are not very strong when compared to the Supra, MR2, and a few others. The rods have been known to give up around the 500-600hp range. The weight of the block and the turbos do front load the car but by relocating the battery and changing the suspension some, you can negate the affects of the extra weight.

Personally, I would turbo the KA and call it a day. The RB is a 2.7 and the KA is a 2.4, do you really want to go through all that extra work for .3 liters? A guy here in VA named Greaser ran 10's on a KA and that car still had a lot left in it.

11. Yeahdoug

Yeahdoug OT Supporter

a stock rb26dett will not take 700 whp stock

12. 5secstrtcar

5secstrtcar Spot you 10, give you the move and still hand you

IMPORTS SUCK ASS!

13. TEC

TEC Guest

Thanks, :rolleyes: please go back under the bridge troll.

14. Joshuaua

Joshuaua OT Supporter

I know of someone that swapped the RB26 into his S13 and that thing fucking hauls. All he has done is a FMIC, intake and exhaust and he ran a [email protected] on the factory S13 rims and tires. That car is a serious force to be reckoned with, even more so when he starts to seriously modify it.

15. Thats an 11 sec trap, he'd probably be able to brake into the high to mid 11s with better tires and suspension. I've heard these cars will run 11s out the box on a good set up. Thats pretty fuckin mean.

Heheh I was planning on an N1 Block with a block guard, JE Pistons/Crower Rods and a lil' head work. If I got a turbo upgrade it would either be GT30Rs or a T51R :)

16. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

1. Yes u should do it,
    2. No u probably won't

17. Joshuaua

Joshuaua OT Supporter

Here's a picture of his motor from a small car gathering not too long ago:

[​IMG]

18. Well I just ordered Project Mu Brakes, Tein Flex coilovers, EDFC, Tein toe links, upper/lower control arms for all the way around and I'm pricing nismo, cusco and kaaz LSD's. I'm going to buy McKinney motor mounts, drive shaft and power steering kit when I get around to it. Most likely next week.

Thinking about doing 18" Nismo LM's.. :bowdown:

I'm pretty much trying to have breaks, suspension and wheels before I do the swap. I hate ill mannered cars and I hate long braking distance and low pedals.

19. Dark-Hawk

Dark-Hawk New Member

Go with 17's .. 18's on a 240SX don't fit; they just look out of place.

20. I just threw out a random wheel. I'll take whatevers light weight, looks decent and fits over my brakes. And doesn't cost me an arm and a leg this things gona be ass expensive. I've been researching all day. I ordered a cusco RS, LSD and those project mu's were cancelled in favor of Brembos. :big grin: I'm doing Tein RA's and then I'll worry about the motor.

Doesn't non fujita have 19" ADRs on his S14? Not that I'd do that but I thought he did.

21. Stock

Stock New Member

I can get you the 26, we have 6 in stock...:big grin:

22. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

a couple of friends of mine are coming to the end of this swap into their S14a...
    the amount of money theyve spent is phenomenal. :eek3:
    its got (so far):
    R33 GT-R RB26DETT
    HKS GT2540R turbos
    Tomei cams
    Apexi Power-FC
    HKS Hipermax Pro coilovers
    Trust 6 piston front brakes, GT-R Brembo rears
    R34 GT-T box
    R33 GT-R V-Spec diff
    18" Volk SE-37's
    HKS Super Drager II 3.75" exhuast
    and they havent quite finished yet...

the thing is going to be nuts! :eek3:
    the owner is actually a chick too. :hs:

23. Local_Hero

Local_Hero Guest

Need pics! :bigthumb:

24. How much for the 26?

And how much do those Trust 6piston calipers cost?

25. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

i think the motor cost about $4k Aus... dont quote me on that though, ive got the feeling he mightve got it for cheaper.

the trust brakes were about $5k Aus. :hs: (calipers, discs, mounts, pads, lines etc)

will get pics in the next week or so if i can.