Rate this 7.1 setup, please!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by asdfbunk, Nov 10, 2008.

1. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

Looking to completely revamp my room, and going a little overboard in the process! (basically proofing for when I move out in a year or so)

2x Klipsch RF82 Towers
    Klipsch RC52 Center
    Klipsch RW10D 10" Subwoofer
    4x RS42 Surround speakers

Before anyone says they're overpriced (they may or may not be) keep in mind I'm getting all this for 944.99 CAD before taxes, all brand new from the store.

Also, recommend a 7.1 receiver? I'm not too keen on what to get, thanks :wavey:

2. cacique78

cacique78 Member

That's a really nice setup. More for movies than music though. Receiver wise you can pretty much get away with anything 7.1 since the Klipsch are very efficient.

Any receiver pumping more than 65 watts per channel should get the job done.

For the price I would recommend a Yamaha RXV663 or 863 if you want/need HDMI (which I think you would for uncompressed 7.1 from certain blurays)

3. Original

Original OT Supporter

what would it take to have a system that performs well with music?

just asking.. since i have a kick ass setup in my basement that rocks with movies but always wondered why music never sounded that good

4. cacique78

cacique78 Member

This is all subjective since what I might think sounds good might not sound good to you. In my opinion the klipsch are way too bright.

It's not necessarily a bad thing for movies but when you listen to music it's very obvious.

A good rule of thumb is if it sounds good in music it will kick ass in movies. It's not necessarily the other way around.

Best way to judge (at least in my experience) take a piece of music that you know well and listen to it through the speakers. That way you know exactly what to listen for. Tweak it to your liking and then pop in a movie that you are familiar and give it a whirl.

You should be very happy with the results.

Just remember that this is very subjective since not everyone picks up on everything. And I don't have a fined tuned ear or anything like that. Just speaking from experience.

5. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

But they're so cheap! I bought this setup, minus two of the surrounds cause I couldn't pony up the cash for a decent 7.1 receiver.

Looks like I'll have to return everything though, cause some employees were cleaning out store stock to resell on craigslist/kijiji. They're going to re-do the EPP properly and have us fill in forms :mamoru: