Rate these MOBO brands pls.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by danskmacabre, Jul 21, 2005.

1. danskmacabre

danskmacabre Guest

ASUS - Most ppl seem to think these are the best, but they're very expensive.

EPOX - Not one of the most known about brands, but I currently use the 8RDA mobo on my current system and it is great if you overclock, very customisable, AND it's a LOT cheaper than ASUS.

MSI -- I see a lot of these about, seem pretty cheap, and quite often come highly recommended, never owned one tho.

The reason I ask is, probably in a few months I'm gonna replace my Processor, mobo, vid card etc and I'm tentatively checking out the options.
    Gonna go AMD 64, PCI-E, and preferably the Nforce 4 (or greater if there will be when I get a mbobo).

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

asus and msi tie. They are also within $10 of each other on basically every model.

epox is crap, don't use them.

if you want amd, then go msi or asus.

if you want intel, you need to get an intel mobo.. can't beat em.

3. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

Asus...here is a testament. I have a P4P800 I bought a couple years ago. Two weeks ago lightning struck my apartment building. The intensity was insane, it managed to turn on my digital camera that was sitting on a table unplugged, but with batteries. At first my CPU would turn on, but would not send signal to the monitor. Two days later it booted up and worked fine! The ethernet portion of the motherboard was fried (shock came up the Cat5 cable as there is no ethernet surge protector) but everything else on the mobo works fine. I really can't believe it, but it's made me stick with Asus just ordered a 939 board :o

4. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

I have used Epox in a number of computers and had a great experience with them. They overclock well, are feature loaded and are inexpensive. Asus was OK, I used them in a batch of PCs I built and they worked OK, but I wasn't as impressed with the features as I have been with Epox boards.

5. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

I'd rather have rock solid stability and reliability then some fancy features I would never use.

6. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

The Epox boards I have used were all stable and reliable. I've used 5 different models of Epox boards in the past 6 years, all have worked perfectly. I won't use anything that's not stable.

7. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

good for you

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

5... A whole FIVE?!!?! WOW!!!

/end sarcasm

9. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

Fuck off, my opinion was asked and here it was stated. Isn't it about time you get banned again? I don't build computers for a living, network engineering suits me fine. I'll leave computer building to the monkeys like yourself. :rolleyes:

Anything useful to add? Fuck off.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're the one that told me to fuck off... that's banworthy :coolugh:

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

again, another user that agrees with me, and you tell him to fuck off. Time for a break for you.

12. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

:noes: :ugh:

13. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

ASUS whore :wavey:

I only had one problem with one board, the printer port didn't work. Didn't find out until a couple of years later though.

14. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

I swear by Asus and Intel motherboards. Intel over Asus for a system that will never be overclocked. They "just work."

MSI seems to have not so good quality control. I had an MSI Socket A board that was a total pile of crap. But then again it did have a VIA chipset. Some of the ones I have put together at work have had problems, most were okay. I don't care to gamble when it comes to my own systems.

Never touched an Epox board. The reviewers like them, but they seem to always like boards even if they come from a shoddy make like ECS. As long as it runs for a day and doesn't crash for the hour they spend testing it...

I don't know what features one could possibly want for with an Asus board. All the ones I have seen have every possible option available to you for overclocking and configuration.

My personal opinion is that the motherboard is the one most important part of the system and is not worth skimping on. Think about it - it's the one part that everything else plugs into. I'd rather drop down one grade on the processor to get a good motherboard, because you aren't going to really notice a speed difference of one tier but you sure as hell will notice if your system has weird issues or crashes from time to time. I also count RAM and power supply as things not to compromise on for price vs. quality.

15. Killgunner

Killgunner OT Supporter

I just ordered my SLI-Deluxe ASUS Mobo and I LOOOVE It.

16. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

ASUS for the win. Seriously, other then their fuckup with the A7V266 & A7V333, their boards are ROCK SOLID. I am very impressed and have only owned them.

When I worked for a PC repair place (back in highschool), all they ordered was cheap-ass epox shit. We would RMA one out of 2 boards, within 3 months, and it would climb upto 2 out of 3 by 1 year. They are the biggest piles of garbage ever. Im surprised they even are allowed to keep making shitty products. Their is a reason they are not ISO 9000.

17. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

ASUS for the win.

Seriously, ive bought virtually nothing but ASUS boards for my personal systems, and the two times i stepped outside the box, i got my ass handed to me, and had to buy an ASUS to replace it.
    Plus every customer system ive ever built has been ASUS powered, and not a single one has ever failed becuase of a hardware problem. Not one.

As for the A7V*, VIA...need i say more?

As for MSI, they make good boards as long as you stick with the bigger name chipsets with good OEM layouts. FOr example, the Intel chipset boards, or the nVIdia chipset boards. If you start to stray into SiS or VIA you WILL have problems with an MSI. They arent anywhere near as good as Abit or ASUS in terms of developing for themselves. But they are very good at making a solid stable layout better.

I say if your going for an nForce 4 chipset board, you really cant go wrong with the MSI or ASUS boards. Both heavily follow the reference design set out by nVidia, and the chipset is preaty even keel amongst all manufactures. Go with the ASUS for rock solid stability, excelent compatability, and tried and true support even after the chipset is no longer supported by its manufacture (for example i can go to ASUS's website and get a manual for an old P2B, where as i have to find a manual archive site to get a manual for an ABIT BX6 which are for all purposes, the same motherboard).

So, in final, spend the extra money, get an ASUS and know you will never have to fuck with it again.

18. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Asus is the best in my book. The performance might not be a hell of a lot better than the other brands, though it's certainly at least on par, but I've never had an Asus motherboard -- or any component connected to one -- die for any reason. Ever. They even have some funky setup that lets you boot up and reflash the BIOS AFTER it's gotten fucked up. Can't beat that.

19. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

my experience has been mostly AMD systems (from socket A to 939). I don't have enough experience with intel boards to justify an opinion

Asus - rock solid stable and feature packed boards. has enough overclocking features and overclocking potential for most users. I used their boards in 80% of the cumputers I've built. if only they made a 939 nforce3 board that was similar to the A8N :wtc: 9.5/10

Epox - good boards for overclocking and very stable boards. not very feature packed and some of the board layouts could have been better 6.5/10

gigabyte - another rock solid and feature packed board company. geared more towards stability than overclocking records. dual bios is a godsend if you ever fuck up on a flash or setting. no need to reset or redo 8.5/10

DFI - overclockers dream board. no other board can compare to the OC potential of these boards. I'm a mild OCer and was overwhelmed by the OC features. in terms of layout, just as good as ASUS. pretty damn stable too. 8.5/10

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  20. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

No Abit on the list? :big grin: My dinosaur BG-7 is still running strong.