Rate my planned living room setup!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RonJeremey, Jan 6, 2007.

1. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

So I'll be buying a house within a month, and i'm planning this setup in the living room:

JVC True 1080p HD-ILA Projection TV
    Adcom GFR-700HD
    Athena Technologies AS series speaker system w/ Sub

And then eventually replace the sub with:
    JL Audio Fathom F112
    If I decide I just need more bass.

I went with those speakers because a friend is driving them with an adcom 7805, so I've heard what they are capable of... (and watched them blow up at 0 volume while jamming the Eagle's live 5.1 DVD :mamoru::mamoru::mamoru:) But if you have better suggestions Let's hear them.

Yes, I could go with a 7805/7 and the GFR-800HD, but I just don't think I'm gonna need that kind of power... Can always go over to my friend's if I just need to go deaf lol.

2. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

WTFNOHELP :wtc:

3. emorphien

emorphien New Member

How much is that Fathom? I can thing of a dozen other brands of subwoofers I'd look at first for home use.

I haven't heard the Athenas much but a lot of people rant and rave about them (although generally given time the fervor dies down). I'm not sure I'd go with the Athena sub, there are a lot of other subs on the market that are likely to give you more for your $$ (look at SVS and HSU for internet direct models, others swear by Velodyne and Martin Logans. There are quite a few good choices).

Now for the more serious problem I see:

How much are your speakers going to run you and how much is your receiver? You are FAR better off putting more of your budget in to your speakers than your receiver. How big is your room? I doubt you need that much receiver and if you stepped it down a good bit you can significantly improve your sound quality by going to some better speakers.

4. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

The fathom was a joke, I would never spend 3K on a sub...

As far as the athena sub... I'm definatley not set on it, the main reason it's in there is I found a retailer who sells the who set up as a package for the same price I have found just the speakers for...

The speakers are about 1K, the reciever is about 2K, but keep in mind it's also a video processor and it upconverts EVERYTHING (composite, Svideo, component) to 1080p HDMI...

Suggestions on other speakers? And on subs? JBL? :hs:Klipsch?

5. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Can't your TV do the upconverting? I admit I'm not keeping up on receivers these days, but I would imagine there are others that might process or upconvert at a lower price. You do somewhat restrict yourself if you are asking your receiver to also perform those video functions and not just sound, because in terms of sound reproduction you'd be better off with an $800 receiver and speakers from a variety of companies IE Axiom (who supposedly makes some good subs), Focal, Paradigm, AV123 and so on. How big is your room and do you want floorstanders at all or are "bookshelf" speakers on stands ok?

6. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Floor Standers yes, I don't know of any TV that will upconvert a composite/svideo signal... I'm not worried about the power or sound reproduction of the amp. The speakers I've heard in person, under extensive testing, which is why I've choosen them.

As for the room... I don't know yet, still looking at houses :hsd:

Are there any good b&m's that have any of these speakers so Icould go "test drive" them?

7. emorphien

emorphien New Member

AV123 and Axiom are internet direct, Focal and Paradigm can be found at local audio shops. If you have any local shops there are plenty of other brands to look at such as PSB or B&W but if you stick to your lopsided budget allotment they will be outside your pricerange, particularly if you're looking at getting floorstanders.