Rate my new Dell! How does this look to you guys?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rsarno, Feb 26, 2009.

?

What do you think?

1. I think this is a great laptop! You will be very happy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. This laptop is OK, but nothing special really. You could have done better

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  3. This laptop is crap! I would have gotten something else altogether

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Other (post below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rsarno

rsarno New Member

I dont know much about recent hardware and whats good, whats not etc. So let me know.

I ordered it custom built, here are the specs.

A little history of how i use it also .. im on the computer nearly 15hrs daily. I work for a technology company that builds iphone apps and websites, so my job really involved looking at other peoples websites the entire day. I do the following all day long: websites, outlook, iTunes, AIM, yahoo messenger. I think thats about it, but i literally do every one of those the entire day long. I am in and out of them constanty. For browsing, id say i usually keep 2 windows open, and each has 3 or 4 tabs.

When i get home from work i do a lot of the same, but i also play some WoW lol.

So anyhow, here are my specs:

I went with the Studio XPS 16 build, but i was a bit upset it puts off more heat than latitude or inspiron. But i did like the 16 inch High-Def screen.

I upgraded to the new DDR3 memory chips, its supposedly 30% faster than the DDR2 chips? So im psyched about that.

I also upgraded to the better of the "P" class processor. I didn't want to upgrade to the faster "T" series because even though the performance is better, it drains the battery faster.

I stuck with the 6cell battery because they didnt have an option to upgrade! Only to buy a separate 9cell battery, i idnt need to have 2 batteries. Also it was a $90 to get the second battery! craziness lol.

Then i downgraded to the smaller 320gig harddrive because it was 7200rpm, because the 500gig was only 5400rpm

There was a $250 screen upgrade to a better screen, but i dont watch movies on my laptop so i didnt bother.

After all was said and done i got it for like $1,300 with free shipping.

Here are the custom specs:

Quantity Item Description

1 Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 (3MB cache/2.53GHz/1066Mhz FSB)
    1 Obsidian Black with Leather Accent
    1 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms)
    1 Edge-to-Edge HD Widescreen 16.0 inch WLED LCD (1366x768) W/2.0 MP
    1 ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 3670 - 512MB
    1 320GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
    1 Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-bit
    1 8X DVD+/- RW(DVD/CD read/write) Slot Load Drive
    1 High Definition Audio 2.0
    1 Intel® 5300 WLAN Wireless-N (3x3) Mini Card
    1 6-cell Battery
    1 Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module (2.1+EDR)
    1 Edge-to-Edge HD Widescreen 16” WLED LCD (1366x768)in Black w/2MP Webcam
    1 Intel® Centrino™ 2
    1 Windows Vista™ Premium

EDIT, i hope this is the right forum, etc ... i am new around these parts sory if its wrong. :big grin:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. Chris

Chris New Member

I would have gone for a higher res screen

3. rsarno

rsarno New Member

really? i have a CRAP screen right now, and ive never had any complaints. The one that comes default on that new laptop is way better than what i have now.

I didnt think i needed the REALLY good one, especially not for $250

is there something lacking on the one that it comes with? it is HD

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

:werd: That is a low-resolution for a screen that size. Other then that, should be fine... battery life shouldn't be too hot though.

5. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

Yeah I would have gone with a higher res screen. For HD that's really low... strange. And yeah battery life isn't going to be great, 7,200 RPM hd drains battery life faster than the 5200. I have a 5200 rpm 320 in one of my notebooks and it runs just fine. No complaints.

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I've had notebooks with both 5400rpm drives and 7200rpm drives and there's never been an issue with battery life. The performance increase is well worth the minimal hit in battery life.

I'm confused though, you upgraded the ram for more performance then went with the P series CPU? Also, I agree with everyone else, higher res screen would have been a great upgrade.

7. rsarno

rsarno New Member

upgrading to the "t" processor was a lot more money also, so i weighed my options.

As for the screen, would you have upgraded if all you really do is business suff? $250 is a big chunk for an upgrade i might never take advantage of. thats how i thought anyhow

8. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

1366x768 is miniscule. It's not about games or movies, it's about being productive... being able to view enough of your spreadsheet or web page or document or whatever at one time.

My laptop is over 5 years old and it's 15" @ 1480x1050.

9. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I definitely think it would be worth it for a higher resolution (aka, screen real estate).

10. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

If they didn't have an option that was close in price, then that's ok, stick with what you got.

I do still thing a higher res screen would have been worth it, you can get so much more on the screen. I went from a dell latitude that was 1920x1200 to a macbook pro that's 1440x900 and I really miss the extra resolution. When I replace the mbp this summer, I'm getting another latitude with the 1920x1200 screen.