Rate my just purchased home theater setup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CitznFish, Oct 5, 2007.

1. CitznFish

CitznFish Don't live life by a single sentence OT Supporter

you can try to bash it all you want, but I think it will be fan-fucking-tastic!

I'm no audiophile or HT expert, but after 3 weeks of solid research I ended up with the following:

TV Credenza - 72" and has center channel drawer
    [​IMG]

in this color:
    [​IMG]

for this TV:
    [​IMG]
    SamSung 5271f LCD TV (mounted on the wall)
    120hz, motionblur technology, 25,00:1 contrast. (looks amazing in person when viewed side by side with a Sony XBR4/5 or Sharp Aquos. All TV's were calibrated to my optimum viewing specs)

using this receiver:
    [​IMG]
    Onkyo TX-SR705 7.1 (but I'll only do 5.1)

with these speakers:
    [​IMG]
    AV123 Onix Reference 1 Monitor Loudspeaker (left, right and center)

[​IMG]
    AV123 Rocket Dipold (pair)

AV123 x-plosive Subwoofer in Rosewood (no picture, goes into production 11/15/2007)

HD-DVD Player
    [​IMG]

DirecTV HD TV/dvr

PS3 (just an excuse so I have a Blu-Ray DVD player)

2. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

Pretty solid choices.

:bigthumb:

3. CitznFish

Thank you. My first attempt at setting up a better than average HT system...

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I like it a lot. What size is that TV? Any reason you chose not to go with floorstanding speakers for the front?

5. cacique78

cacique78 Member

Very nice setup. You're gonna really like that onkyo. For the price of that lcd you could have gotten a plasma that would shit all over it. But it is one of the best choices you can make for an lcd.

But again very nice!

:bigthumb:

6. CitznFish

Thanks! TV is 52 inches.

I currently have tower speakers and they just clutter up room imo. I didn't want the credenza to be sandwiched between 2 tower speakers. If I decide the smaller speakers aren't cutting it I'll send them back for tower speakers. av123 has an excellent 60 day audition program.

7. CitznFish

My issue with plasmas is the glare. I have a large window so I went with LCD to diminish the glare issue.

I almost went with an integra but for the price difference I couldn't pull the trigger. Hand picked components aren't worth an extra 400 bucks...

8. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

You need to hear some hand picked well setup components then.

Good choice if you have to go lcd for glare. I ended up putting up black out blinds and they work great.

9. cacique78

cacique78 Member

Yeah definitely one of the better looking lcds.

10. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

The wood grain on those speakers is fucking gorgeous.

:eek3:

11. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

good choices. you will be happy.

For the price, I would have done just a couple of changes:

1. Subwoofer: As nice as the X-plosive may be, you will get 2-3x the performance at about the same price going with an Epik Subwoofer, like the Castle or Knight.

2. The mains, I would whole heartedly gone with either the Swan D2.1se or the Dana 930 monitors....they are MUCH better than the Onix ref1. Have a read here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=11454358&postcount=124

3. The TV for sure!! If you went LCD because of Glare, why not get the new Panny PZ77U (1080p, same anti-glare as teh PX77U) which will give you a MUCH better overall PQ? Better blacks, better ANSI measured CR's, better IRE levels, natural skin tones, etc.?

all and all though, solid choices!:bigthumb:

but, if you still time to change, I would wholeheartedly tell you to give Epik Subs the nod! I'm a bass freak, so for me, good accurate clean bass is one of the priorities.

12. CitznFish

I have been all over avsforum.com researching. The Av123 Onix Reference 1 monitors get great reviews. For the current sale price the quality can't be beat. I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference between them and I have heard the reference 1's in person. At this point I'd rather spend $500 for a pair of mains that sound exceptional and look fantastic than $950 for a pair of Swans that sound a touch better. Again, I never heard the swans in person but my ears aren't those of an audiophile. :)

The x-plosive sub woofer isn't out yet. It won't be available until
    mid november. :( So mine is pre-ordered. I went ahead and bought it based on 1v123's reputation alone.

If I don't like the sub, dipolds, or monitors in my own home, av123 allows a 60 day home audition and I can just send them back. If that happens I would probably go with the Swans if they are on sale and try those. But I do expect to be blown away when I get my av123's...

I could flip flop forever on TV's, but I did see the sammy in person and the 120hz refresh rate makes a huge difference! Compared to the other TV's I saw in person this was the clear choice. Compared tot eh other plasma TV's I saw the sammy LCD had a more realistic picture IMO. It's all subjective though, and liek I said i could flip flop for weeks on the TV so I just bit teh bullet and went with what looked the best to my eyes. :)

13. CitznFish

14. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

The monitors is a personal choice really....and I think you are doing the right thing by going with that price..it is a phenomenal piece for $500 and Forgot about Mark Schifter's current sale. good job :h5:

on the sub though, I gotta tell you man, you are MUCH better off with one of Epik's subs at fractions of the price. Seaton and I talk all the time, and he has some suberb subs coming. The BMF and the Submerssive are excellent choices. However, for the price of a pair of MFW15's, you can get the Epik Tower, which has similar output as the conquest from 20hz and up, while still giving you respectable output into the low teens. The conquest is arguably the baddest subwoofer out there right now. See tom Noussaine's measurements and review:
    http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/blog/?p=17

[​IMG]

the Tower is the 15" version of this sub, and at $1099, cannot be beat by anything under $1500. It is insane! Anyways, you can do what you want, but subwoofers are my domain, I design and make my own. I would tell you go DIY if you can, but I assume you dont want to or have the time/skills to go DIY, so the next best option would be to get one of Epik's offerings.

Av123 makes Awesome speakers, and very decent subs........but for the best, you need to look at Epik.

the TV, we could argue all day, and I just encourage you to make a search. You will be happy with the 71' Sammy, but it is no Pioneer Kuro unfortunately:
    [​IMG]
    (sammy 5084 top, panny 700u bottom right, Pio KURO 5080 bottom left).

15. CitznFish

Does Epik make any subs out of rosewood? I saw this on their homepage, but not on their purchase link. I have no idea what model this is. If I don't like the av123 sub I'll gladly send it back and try an epik.

[​IMG]

My sub will be exposed and I would want it to match the wood of the AV123's.

I certainly couldn't do the DIY route since I have no experience in buiolding speakers or sub enclosures. :hs:

The samsung 5271f looked pretty good with the blacks I saw on it. (blu-ray dvd PotC), didn't have artifacting or blur issues. I wish I could have seen a pioneer Kuro next to it, but what can you do? The Samsung had a real immersive 3D look to the picture and I really dug it compared to the Sharp Aquos or Sony 52XBR4 or 5.

yesterday I noticed that the afternoon sun shines across the space where the TV will hang so glare is a huge consideration for me and is why I went LCD even though there was that one plasma you mentioned seems to not have glare issues, I'd rather go with the sure thing.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  16. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

yeah, that is the Epik Tower in rosewood.....you can contact Chad and ask about the availability. :)

17. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Looks great, I love av123 so definitely no complaints there but I would have gone with something else for the TV, actually Oct. 9 Costco (well the distribution center) should be getting the Panny 58" 75u and now that my 40" XBR2 is finally gone that is what I will likely be getting :o

18. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Next time, ask for critiques before you buy.

19. CitznFish

:ugh:

what does it matter? I researched everything I am happy with my choices. If I based my purchases off of people critiquing my selections before I buy then I would be battling with people over subjective opinions and I would never make the actual purchase.

I'm just trying to get others opinions on the packages I went with. I did plenty of research so your point is moot.

20. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I think his point was that he's not sure what an opinion is worth if the equipment is already bought, although he said that in a pretty dick way.

21. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

I've been thinking about getting a Valor, but I want to see what else Chad comes up with. I just need some good bass again. I miss my DD-15. :wtc:

22. deusexaethera

If you researched everything and you're happy with your choices, then why do you care what anyone else thinks of your purchase?

One of two things will happen in this scenario: 1. you get your e-dick stroked by people who wish they could buy what you bought, or 2. your decisions get shat upon by people who think you should have bought something better than you did.

This accomplishes what, again?

23. CitznFish

satisfies my curiosity.

pretty simple eh Dr Spock? You over analyzed the scenario.

24. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

you really need to get out more often.

25. deusexaethera

Eh...I dunno. I was cranky this morning. Sorry guys.

- - -

EDIT: I gotta respond to this, though:

Not really. If I were ten it would have been over-analysis, but that took zero effort to come up with, right or wrong though it may have been. I'll concede that I'm too good at it for my own good, though.