Rate my HTPC build

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jazz, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

I was originally gonna just build a cheap HTPC, but I decided to get rid of my regular desktop and make this more a replacement for that as well. With this comp and my laptop I can't imagine using my old desktop for much and it will free up a ton of space getting rid of that desk and chair.

Budget was $1500... prices in links may be higher than I've posted as limited quantity sale price items have slowly started selling out.

ASUS P5K-VM mATX LGA775 G33 DDR2 1PCI-E16 2PCI 1PCI-E4 SATA2 Video Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard
    $118.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.66GHZ 1333FSB 4MB Retail
    $174.99

Scythe Mini Ninja Heatpipe Fanless Heatsink AM2 LGA775 S478 S754 S939 80MM 2300RPM 32.2CFM 24.2DBA
    $29.99

Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 DDR2 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit
    $88.88

Diamond Viper Radeon HD 3850 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDMI HDTV Out Video Card
    $159.99

Hauppauge Win TV PVR 150 TV Tuner for Window Media Center Edition 2005 Only OEM
    (I've confirmed the MCE 2k5 only part is bs... people have it working fine under Vista)
    $49.99

LG GGC-H20L BLU-RAY HD-DVD Reader BD-ROM 6X HD DVD-ROM 3X DVD+-RW 16X8X6 DL 4X Black SATA Software
    $239.99

Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache 8.9MS NCQ Hard Drive OEM 3YR MFR Warranty
    $95.99

Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB 1000GB 7200RPM SATA2 32MB Terabyte Hard Drive OEM *3YR MFR Wrty* 0A35155
    $259.99

Antec NSK2400 New Solution mATX Desktop Case 2X5.25 2X3.5INT 380W ATX12V V2.0 Silver Black
    $92.99

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 32BIT DVD OEM
    (yes, I actually paid for a copy of windows :hs: )
    $99.99

YOUR TOTAL $1,411.78

And then there's a $25 MIR in there for the ram bringing it down to about $1390

Actually managed to come in under budget... leaves me like $100 to find a good wireless (maybe bluetooth?) keyboard mouse combo :o

Picked up everything this afternoon, but had to go out tonight so it's still all sitting boxed up on my dining room table. Should have it all put together tomorrow :cool:

2. etech

etech New Member

I'd get DDR2-800 memory, preferably some that will run at 1.8 volts. Even if you overclock the 6750 you don't need 1066 speed ram.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

nice case. thats going to be a kickass setup. i would have skimped on the hard drives and gotten a couple of drives under 1tb (because of the major price jump it costs to get 1tb) then set them up in raid 5

you need to get a nice wireless keyboard and mouse/remote for that

4. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 32BIT DVD OEM = no

5. Jazz

Well here it is.

Yes I realize cable management sucks, but I don't have anything to tie things down with right now... will grab some stuff from work tomorrow and get that figured out. Also the TB drive is upstairs in my desktop getting stuff transfered over. Everything fits fine, but these matx cases and mb's are definitely not made for big fingers. All my drives are SATA which seems fine, but there would be a serious lack of space if I tried to use those IDE connectors they shoved down at the bottom of the MB.

Without the CPU fan installed and just relying on those 2x120mm case fans beside the heatsink the processor is not much more than room temp so that's good. The only thing in the case really much warmer than that is the GPU which seems to be running at about 43C :dunno:
    [​IMG]

What it looks like from the front. Silver bezel and black optical drive weren't the ideal choices, but it doesn't look too bad, and I wasn't spending another $100 on a black Fusion 430 case.
    [​IMG]

Installed and most things work well. The included copy of PowerDVD only supports 2 channel DTS output, but does surround in Dolby Digital over the mobos SPDIF link - kinda strange, but not a big deal.

The only real issue is the monitor output. It'll do 720p over HDMI, but that connection on my TV is being used by my PS3. I tried doing 720p over RGB, but I'm not having much luck. Just a black screen on anything higher than 1024x768 listed (I say listed because it doesn't look like anything's distorted. It looks like the right resolution with the borders at the edge of the TV and a box on the screen showing up square and not stretched - maybe Catalyst is forcing 720p, but the display center is just not reporting it correctly :dunno: )

6. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I don't think you can run 720p over RGB. You will need either component, hdmi, or dvi connections. (Correct me if im wrong)

7. Jazz

The RGB input on my TV has a label beside it that says 480p, 720p, 1080i

I don't see why RGB wouldn't be able to support 720p... computers run much higher resolutions over RGB :dunno:

8. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

does your display accept vga or dvi?

9. Jazz

Both, I think I have it figured out now.

After a bunch of sync and refresh rate BS I finally got a 720p signal to show up on both the RGB and DVI input of the TV. The screen wouldn't show the full output though. A little bit of all 4 sides were cut off. Had to force the resolution to 1200x672 for everything to fit and run without distortion :confused:

Most things work fine with both connections, but I cannot get Blu-Ray or HD-DVD playback over DVI; only over RGB. According to PowerDVD's diagnostic it passes HDCP handshake and it's the video drivers that are the issue... which is strange because it's the same drivers that spit out the video fine over RGB.

In the end though everything shows up undistorted, computer output shows up on screen without being cutoff anywhere and I can play all types of files over RGB which is what I wanted to do anyways as the DVI input is being used for other things.

10. Jazz

Oh and with hardware acceleration of the video card on, downloaded 1080p h264 movies playing perfectly without any hicups with processor core 1 @ about 30% and the other core idleing :bigthumb:

11. Rmc[AZ]

Rmc[AZ] Get the fuck off my fucking ice

Processor is overkill for just movie playback, RAM is overkill if you aren't overclocking. Also, I like Seagate drives. Otherwise a pretty good build.

12. Lempdoe

Lempdoe gettin while the gettin's good

I'm looking to build a PC for my new place where I can hook it up to my 61" 1080P Samsung and use that as a monitor. I plan to use the PC for the following:

-browsing/chatting
    -torrents
    -HD content playback (either through BD drive or h264 files)
    -possibly a PVR
    -would this be able to be a file server for other PCs in the house?

I do not plan to play games nor do serious document/spreadsheet stuff on this machine, as I have a 360 and another laptop.

Jazz's setup above seems like a good fit for my needs. Comments/suggestions? I'd probably go for 2 750gig drives though.

13. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

I have that same mobo with an E6400. Overclocking ability isn't fantastic, but not too bad. I like that case, matches the receiver I have now. nice setup.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it does work. You can run 1080P over VGA.