A&P Rate my early portraits

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by JaimeZX, Aug 27, 2006.

1. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Messing around with our new 20D / kit lens. My mom in her backyard. (I just picked a few of the best of ~100 shots.) I left the color space to default sRGB; does anyone here use Adobe and if so, why?

First one seems okay; I made a n00b mistake of not checking my settings. The night before I took some pictures in lower light and then shot a bunch of my mom outside at ISO1600 (all in Aperature Priority.) In any event, I think this one is pretty decent.

ISO-1600, F/5.6, 1/6400s.
    [​IMG]

This one I like; fixed the ISO; in all these shots my wife has a silver windshield sunshade she's using to fill in the shadows. Nonetheless, do you find the shadow of my mom's nose distracting, or am I worrying about it too much? I guess since the shutter speed was down to 1/250 I could've used some fill flash... :o

ISO-100, F/5.6, 1/250s
    [​IMG]

I took a few of these; I really like the composition with the bench and all, but I guess they're all overexposed. It was tough to tell on the LCD outside in the sun... I thought that I had metered on her face, but maybe the camera decided the shadows should be metered properly. :dunno: Unfortunately all the pics including the bench are like this. How do y'all get around that?

ISO-100, F/4.5, 1/250s
    [​IMG]

For this last one we moved to a different part of the yard. Initially I had her back farther, but there's a tree (out of frame) that was casting all kinds of bizarre shadows on her face. My wife is still using the reflector (as in all pics) to fill in the shadows as best she could.

ISO-400, F/22, 1/50s
    [​IMG]

Overall I'm very happy with this series of photos, but I know we can improve a lot and I look forward to any comments / suggestions y'all may have. Thanks very much in advance!

2. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

If you're outside on a bright sunny and shooting still subjects use ISO 100.

Also use an aperture of 2.8 or faster if you can. (but it doesn't appear you own a 2.8 lens)

Generally for portraits on your 1.6x body you'll want a lens somewhere between 50mm and 130mm on the upper end.

Don't worry about some shadows (especially from the sun) shadows help to bring out contrast in the face. Completely flat lighting can be a little boring.

The one that you think is overexposed is. This is a case where you should use fill flash. Shutter speed does not determine if you need fill. flash or not.

In order to use fill flash correctly I just like to do everything manually. Let the camera meter once in Av with your aperture set to where you want, then switch to M. If there is sky in your background I usually speed up the shutter speed by about a stop, or bump the ISO down a stop (if I'm not already at 100). I use a 580ex flash with a diffuser and set the exposure compensation on the flash +2/3rds of a stop usually.

Of course this varies a lot, and everybody is different in how they set up their shots using fill flash. Do not expect to get it right the 1st time. Cameras don't always meter correctly, and you never know when a cloud is going to come overhead or whatever.

3. f/2.8 when it's bright and sunny like that?? :hsugh:

4. JaimeZX

Thanks! My responses below...
    When I get a little more money I'll be looking to pick up a Canon 50mm f/1.8 prime. Should be better for portraiture. I saw a page where it was extensively compared with the f/1.4 and I didn't see enough difference to justify the extra expense. :o

So you didn't see any you found distracting in these then?

I merely mentioned the 1/250 because that's the fastest the 20D will sync the flash without weird effects. Unfortunately using fill flash didn't occur to me at that time.

:cool: I think the 580ex is next on the list after the f/1.8. :o

Yah; I've used fill flash with a lot of success on my 707 but I haven't used the 20D enough to be that familiar with it...

Neutral density filters would be my friend then. Happily the 707 and the 20D kit lens take the same size filters. :coold:

5. JaimeZX

What?

6. ittech

ittech "If You're Not Part of the Solution, There's Good OT Supporter

looks pretty good for the hard light conditions... :)

7. ittech

also you could go with a 430ex instead of the 580 if you don't need the extra power or the ability to control IR slaves.... since the 430 finally has a decent manual mode missing in the 420...

8. JaimeZX

Actually I do want the ability to pump slaves, but thanks for the suggestion. :)

9. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

the second pic is the best ... no need to say anything else everyone esle covered changing your ISO and fill flash.

Watch your composisition ... the second pic you have her light coloured hair against the over exposed sky.

10. how many reflectors were you using?

11. JaimeZX

Just one about 20"x40"

12. ittech

RAW? surely you mean prophotoRGB...

not many labs are calibrated for anything other than sRGB and sometimes aRGB though