Rate my computer...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gutrat, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

Hmm, well im getting pretty excited and pissed off lately. Finally, some good games are on the way; Doom3 and HL2. However, I know my computer sucks ass and im afraid I won't be able to run these at all.

Specs:

Asus A7N8X
    AMD Athlon (1.91 GHz)
    Western Digital 80gig 8meg cache
    Sound Blaster LIVE! X-Gamer 5.1
    GeforceFX 5200 128meg
    1 x 512meg ram, Kingston

So basically, my computer is no where near the requirements for upcoming games. Is my MOBO good enough? Should I pop in a new chip, another stick of RAM and a new videocard? Or do you think the only way is to completely dump the system? Athlon 64? Radeon 9800xt? 1gig Ram?

Anyways, thanks alot.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

better video card and some more ram and you should be able to rock that system for quite a while yet.

3. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

You really think that? Is it because of my MOBO? Is it still pretty good? I know it was great for its time...but, now things are advancing so quickly.

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

That's pretty similar to what I've got. Nothing wrong with it, I would double the ram (or triple if you want to go all out) and upgrade the video card for gaming, but other than that it's still good. It's not worth upgrading it other than that, if you want to shell out some money and get a new processor, get a new mobo too and go 64-bit.

5. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

Thanks Penguin, I think i'll just upgrade the RAM and get a new video card...any recommendations? :)

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Radeon x800, 9800pro or 9800xt, whichever one fits your budget. For ram, kingston, corsair, crucial.
    Depending on the revision of your board will determine if you can upgrade the cpu, IIRC it has to be revision 2.0 or newer to support the 400MHZ FSB barton cpu's, but the one you have now will not slow you down.

7. 1997 CL 3.0

1997 CL 3.0 OG since 00

You're fine as is to run Doom 3 on low settings, Hard OCP has a good article on different configurations running Doom3. Your AMD system can take advantage of tight memory timings so getting some low latency ram will do you good if you are overclocking.

8. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

say what?

9. miek

miek Guest

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0

This article might make you feel a little better. You could survive until the current video cards fall in price a little. With Athlon64s recently dropping in price, it wouldn't hurt to pick one of those up. Of course you'll have to get a new motherboard and probably faster RAM. I recently upgraded everything from a system sort of similar to your's because there won't be anything in a decent price range that will run the Doom III engine games maxed out for another couple years. I'm sure Quake IV and whatever else is in production will be a bit more demanding than Doom III.

10. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

Thanks miek