Rate My Build / Suggestions Also Welcome

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skyline22GTR, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Skyline22GTR

Skyline22GTR OT Supporter

Intel Q6600 G0 Stepping - already purchased $199.99
    w/ Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound $5.99
    w/ Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler - Retail $39.99

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16835154001

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $79.99
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811119137
    Should I go with a Lian-Li. I just like the look of the Cooler Master

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard $139.99
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811119137
    I hear its good for overclocking, but I am open to suggestions.

EVGA 512-P3-N841-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card $259.99
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814130325
    Could just get a plain ole' 8800GT since I just have 19"

PC Power & Cooling S610EPS EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply $119.99
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817703005
    CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply?
    Modular or Not?

OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR800C44GK $95.99
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820227267

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Thought about going G.Skill also!

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive $169.99
    Is the speed really worth it for an OS Harddrive?

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B x2 $55.98
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16827151153

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM $109.99
    Is Ultimate worth another $80?

Some of the prices listed above are after mail in rebate. This has no bearing on the cost for me as I will get that money back eventually.

I would like to overclock it somewhat 3.0-3.2 Ghz for now. I know very little about overclocking and will look into it down the road. Eventually I think I would like to get that baby up to 3.6 Ghz like everyone else.

Re-using: Old PCI Sound Card
    Don't Need Storage HD as I have a 500 GB already.
    19" Dell Monitor I believe is 12**x1050 resolution
    Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard set

If there are any items you would replace with other components please feel free to suggest them. Have I missed any components, this is my 1st personal build even though I am confident in the process. And as always thanks for the help guys.

Total $1277.98 After Rebates

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

3. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I would say it looks pretty good. The tuniq is huge. Be careful when tightening down the thumb screws. i broke one of the heads off and had to use Loc-Tite in a pinch. But it's still holding over a year later.

Cases are personal preference IMO. As long as you aren’t getting some cheap, no name case with sharp edges then you should be fineJust make sure it has all of the options in it you want. Others will say you have to go lian li. Personally I am happy with my Antec P182.

I am not a RAM expert and know zero about OCZ Reaper and barely more about GSkill. Others will chime in, I'm sure. I generally use Crucial Ram due to the Micron D9 chips.

From someone who owns a raptor 150x, I would say save soem $ and just get a good seagate (32MB cache?) drive that has probably triple the sorage for a comparable price. You won't notice the difference.

Samsung drives are good despite some comments I've read by a certain poster here. I've had two and they both still work. Lite_on is good but significantly louder than my old samsung.

Vista - There's a chart that compares what each version offers. I just went with Ultimate because it has everything offered. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it :dunno:

4. Skyline22GTR

I think I agree with your view on windows. Might as well buy it an not need it than have a longing for one of the features in the future.

5. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

looks good!

6. Skyline22GTR

I dont know about you. Everytime I see your AV it makes me think you are mocking me. :noes:

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

optical drive will fail. get liteon.

8. Skyline22GTR

what about the power supply. This I think is my main concern. I don't know anything about the power except what companies people recommend.

9. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I bought the Samsung too. There is one thing I have noticed with it and that is that some newer movies, it doesn't like the encryption when ripping. My older Plextor has no problems with it though.

Good power supply and will provide plenty of juice

10. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Use Arctic Cooling MX-2 instead of AS5. MX-2 is non-conductive, non-corrosive, non-curring, easier to apply, better thermal results.

Expect a lot of cables crossing from top to bottom on that build.
    That case has the I/O panel (1394/Audio/USB/eSATA) at the top. All of the headers you need to plug those are at the bottom area of the Abit board. btw, the IP35 Pro's eSATA is only in the rear I/O panel.
    The power supply's 8-pin CPU Power connector will also travel accross the board to reach the top area of the Abit board.

Great vid card.

Power supply is one of the best.

RAM is fine. But as negative zero said, Micron D9 > *

Raptors are still one of the fastest drives out there. But their price makes it not worth it.

To settle the Optical drive debate,... since you are buying 2 optical drives,... get 1 Samsung, get 1 Lite-On.

You won't be disappointed.
    3.0-3.2 is the average. You'll hit it without breaking a sweat.
    3.4-3.6 might involve a lot of tweaking.

19" monitor? Upgrade that shit.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

samsung harddrives are good

samsung optical drives are not.

12. negative zero

negative zero New Member

:rolleyes:

I guess the two that I own are no longer good and I should replace them.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Oh I forgot that you own TWO OPTICAL DRIVES!!!1!11111!!!one Someone STOP THE PRESSES!!! ! OH MY FUCKING GOD YOU HAVE TWO??? TWO????? Like 2?? NOT ONE BUT TWO???? WOW!!!!! WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE JUST LIKE YOU. NOT KINDA. NOT SORTA. BUT *EXACTLY* LIKE YOU. TWO DRIVES? THAT'S FUCKING INSANE. BRO. DUDE. BRO. YOU JUST BLEW MY MIND.

So having owned TWO drives you obviously know whats-whats in the computer world, amirite?

SHUT THE FUCK UP.

14. negative zero

negative zero New Member

First of all I apologize to the thread starter for this so just skim on by.

Jolly, you are the most annoying douchscicle that OT has ever had on the C & P subforum and possibly, the entire site. The only reason I haven’t IL’ed your fat ass is that I happen to enjoy reading most of your train wreck posts that, more often than not, end up proving you really don’t know WTF you are talking about.

How many Samsung drives have you owned? Let me guess, hundreds? SO you are absolutely certain that every single Samsung drive ever made is shit? Is there any way you will ever be able to just give your opinion and then just STFU. Do you always have to argue if someone doesn’t completely agree with your lian li/lite-on/Seagate/etc. recommendations?

My point is Samsung make decent stuff and I happen to own a couple of drives that somehow, miraculously, happen to still be working. Look over at newegg reviews and see for yourself though. The Samsung drives rate very good, but of course some people have issues. Same with Lite-On, same with NEC, same with everyfuckingbody else.
    Get over yourself and realize that you don’t have a magic ball that you can look into the future and say, with certainty, that all Samsung drives will fail. And if you do have a magic ball, get the winning lottery #’s and hit the gym, tubby?

Cliffs : Fuck you.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yes, thank you for your appology. Bad advice is never something you should give.

yea, being right all the time does suck. thank you for your concern.

That doesn't even make sense. What does make sense, however, is that I am right, and you read my posts to learn. And since 99.999% of my posts end up proving other people wrong, you're just jealous.

Me personally? None. I haven't owned a Ford Pinto, either. But I'm pretty confident it's a piece of shit. As for samsung drives, I ordered a few cases of em and had about 60% failure rate within 90 days. I didn't order any more. I ended up eating the cost of every returned drive and swapped them out for Sony drives. Made my customers happy -- and lost me money.

just shy of 150.

60% failure rate and me having to lose money just to save-face with my customers... yea, that's a REASONABLE excuse to say samsung drives are shit.

Tell you what, when my opinion is shown with my experience behind it (lots), and your opinion is shown with your experience behind it (basically nothing) then I can say it and then shame on you for not listening. But on these forums there is the false sense that two peoples opinions are equal -- and that's not true.

If that helps someone make the right decision and not buy a piece of shit product, then it's worth it.

wrong.

Again. you have TWO drives that still work. That doesn't make them the best. You just had two that still work. Pretty sure I could find two Ford Pintos in working condition. Still a piece of shit car.

50% of those reviews are writen by people that don't actually own the product. 90% of the reviews from people that do own the product are writen within 72 hours of receiving the product. And the vast majority of the reviews are by amature do-it-yourselfers. The bottom line: The reviews on that site are worthless. If you choose products based on them, you're a fucking moran.

You're right. But I don't use a magic 8 ball. I use the scientific method to actually test this shit. Something better than the newegg reviews you use :mamoru:

Oh great, so I point out how much of a fool you are, and provide evidence to back it up, and now you make fun of my figure? Yea, you're really making yourself look great. :mamoru:

Yea, I know it's hard for you to argue for a shitty product. Just give up and admit that Samsung drives are not good.

16. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

man, if they ever implemented the member rep system, you're fuckin pwned :rofl:

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the member rep system is just a way for pussies and faggots to try to P.C. the place up when they're too cowardly to just commit suicide -- which is clearly the best solution.

18. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I have the exact burner in this dude's build and it works perfectly for me :dunno: