Rate my beginner program / is being so sore you can't lift every other day normal?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by undirected, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undirected

undirected Guest

I'll take care of the question in the title first: is it normal for my muscles to be too sore to lift every other day? The last few times I've lifted I've needed to wait 2 days before I felt like I could go back and give 100% effort without straining/hurting myself. Is that normal? Am I maybe not stretching well enough? Note that only my upper body seems to be an issue with this, my lower body generally feels a little sore but fine to lift again within a day.

On to my beginner's routine - I'm clueless, so take it easy on me. This is a full-body routine because I generally don't get the chance to get to the gym more than 3-4 times per week. If a full-body routine is a bad idea for me (or in general) and I should try to work a 5-6 day a week (alternating between muscle groups) routine into my schedule, let me know.

3 sets/12 reps for each of these:

-Bench Press (not with a free bench, though, it's one of the racked set-ups at the gym - I can definitely tell that I'm not working my muscles as well as when I used to bench with free weights - any suggestions?)

-Close grip bench (same machine as above) - sometimes do assisted tricep dips

-Shoulder Press (same machine as above)

-Barbell Squat (same machine as above)

-Triceps Extensions (dumbbells)

-Curls (dumbbells)

-Dumbbell shrugs

-Row (cable)

-Parallel Grip Pull-up (assisted)

-Leg Press

-Calf Press (same machine as leg press)

-Leg extension (machine)

-Leg curl (machine - I think this is the term but I'm not sure)

-Crunches (machine usually, 3 sets of 25 each)

How complete does this look? Am I missing some major groups here?

When it comes to stretching, do I need to stretch every single muscle group I plan to lift with individually or are there all-encompassing stretch techniques I can use? I will admit that I have not been stretching properly before working out, I generally just "stretch" with less weight than I plan to use. This is stupid, I know, and I need to know what I should do instead of this.

I've been using www.exrx.net for help with doing the exercises correctly and it's helped a lot.

Thanks in advance for any help

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

looks terrible. read the stickies.

3. undirected

undirected Guest

I've read the stickies

Why not give me some pointers rather than just saying "looks terrible" without any reason as to why?

4. Soldier101

Soldier101 Member

I would stop using all of the machines and start working on building a strength base using free weights

also, damn the assisted pullups / dips.....do 50 sets of 1 unassisted if you can only do one at a time, do it a couple of times a week and within a week or two you will notice your reps will increase.

5. undirected

undirected Guest

I'm only using the machines because I don't have access to any free weights other than dumbbells at the gym I use :dunno: Should I just do things like the bench press/shoulder press/etc. using dumbbells instead?

As for the pull-ups...sad as it is, I don't even know that I could do a full one unassisted right now. I'm insanely out of shape.

6. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

how long does that workout take, anyway? Seems like a lot of volume for a beginner...

if you are in the gym 3-4 days a week, an upper body, lower body split may be better...

plus maine is right, read the stickies...again if needed.

7. undirected

undirected Guest

Takes about an hour to do it all :dunno: I do 15-20 minutes of moderate intensity cardio beforehand (3-5 minute warmup at a fast walk, 10-15 minutes running at about 7mph, cooldown doing same thing as warmup)

When you say an upper body/lower body split do you mean, say, Monday - upper, Tuesday - lower, Wednesday - upper, Thursday - lower, or should I space it out more?

I guess I'll go through and read the stickies again...

8. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

maybe like that, but rest wednesday, then upper-thursday lower-friday

9. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Full body routines are dandy, but not with all that volume.

10. life

life pure sex

looks like you hit every muscle group and made up a few on the way.

11. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

Any suggestions for a good full body routine?

12. life

life pure sex

13. undirected

undirected Guest

Only reason I do that is because I was taught that in order to do "real" crunches you needed to have your feet elevated, and I usually use a chair - but the machine has weight added so I figured it was better

I dunno

14. undirected

undirected Guest

Are dumbbell presses as effective as bench presses?

15. undirected

undirected Guest

I just feel like a big pussy because I'm so weak right now that I have a hard time curling 30lb dumbbells :rofl: I know I shouldn't give a fuck, everybody started there, etc. etc. - but when dudes are throwing up 300lb benches next to me I feel like I'm lacking a bit

16. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Active Member

lots of people have had success with pur's routine. That is only four days a week. try giving that a shot.

17. undirected

undirected Guest

is that in the link posted above? Can I find it by just searching google for "pur routine"?

18. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Active Member

19. mandrew

mandrew New Member

I did a simple full body for the last 3 months and I really liked it, although there could have been more leg work. I won't specify sets/reps because I know what I like for each exercise but it might not be right for you. If you're just starting the general consensus around here seems to be 3x10-15 for everything.

Workout 1:

Military Press
    Pullups
    Full Squats
    Pushups
    BB or DB Curls

Workout 2:

Bench Press
    Cable Rows
    Reverse Lunges or Split Squats
    Pushups
    Lateral Raises

Workout 3:

Pullups
    Pushups
    Deadlift
    Dips
    Face Pulls

20. undirected

undirected Guest

21. undirected

undirected Guest

Is that a pretty complete workout?

22. undirected

undirected Guest

yeah, that's what I've been using (and am on right now, actually), great site

23. georgexi

georgexi o.O OT Supporter

i'm not a "workout expert" so i won't comment on your routine other than it seems like a ton of volume for 1 hour. i've tried full-body routines in the past and they were usually 1 set w/ heavy weight and lower reps (6-8).

and it's normal for a beginner to be sore first few times working out. if you're still sore 2+ months in though.. maybe you're over-working

24. undirected

undirected Guest

I'm probably just trying to overdo it here. I have a tendency to go all or nothing in every area of life, either one extreme or the other - I gotta find a good balance.

I've only been seriously attempting to lift again for the past 3 weeks or so, and only actually done that routine I posted twice now, the rest has been just wasting my time with machines because I was too much of a pussy to get on the floor and use the frees/cables. I've been doing cardio for the past month about 3-4 times a week and combined with a pretty healthy diet I've gone from 204 to 195 and already gained some muscle tone in my legs, so I think I have a pretty good start. Now it's time for me to start taking it a bit more seriously and fix my diet to remove some excess carbs and drastically increase my protein. I'm probably only getting about 50 grams of protein a day, and from what I understand I want about .8 grams/lb of body weight, right?

25. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

fuck isolation exercises as a n00b

all you need to do are squats/deadlifts/bench/overhead press/bent over rows

try to do a press, a pull, and a squat every other day

Monday - Squat, bench press, deadlifts
    Wednesday - Squat, overhead press, bent over rows
    Friday - Squat, bench, deads

etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.