rate computer im building

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by obifunkenobi, Oct 23, 2005.

1. obifunkenobi

obifunkenobi New Member

2. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Check out www.jinco.com and see the computer cases they have. I get all my cases from there, they basically have the best of the cheap chinese boxes -- which is to say, the ones that aren't flimsy and hard to fit stuff into properly.

Spring for a Sony DVD burner instead of the BenQ. The thing about name-brand electronics is that they're quieter and less likely to burn out for no good reason.

I'd get two hard drives instead of one big one. Maybe a 60gb and a 120gb. The reason is so that Windows and programs can be installed on one drive and documents, pictures/videos, and other miscellaneous crap can be installed on the other drive. This keeps the irreplaceable stuff safe if Windows dies and the disk has to be wiped. If you put the pagefile on the second drive, then you can also get faster program-loading speed because Windows won't have to juggle reading in the new program and dumping idle programs to the disk.

I prefer ATI video cards, but that's neither here nor there.

That's all I've got.

4. tony

tony Guest

Ditch the CRT and go with an LCD

And a 775 mobo with a 530J proc, instead of the 478 one.

5. obifunkenobi

obifunkenobi New Member

6. obifunkenobi

obifunkenobi New Member

changing to 775 mobo/530j proc will help alot?

7. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

you could also go with an AMD64 proc and an nForce4 mobo and overclock that ho faster than the p4 you are thinking about.

I got an older AMD 3100+ proc and an nForce3 250 chipset board and overclocked it from the 1.8gHz to a 2.25gHz and it is rock solid reliable (so far) If I had a better mobo I could OC it as high as 2.8ghz, but I don't

it's just a thought.

I have that same videocard, it's pretty ok I guess, you can use Riva Tuner to overclock it a little bit for a bump in performance...

8. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

on a 1 to 10 scale for $800ish I give it a 3. I can build a AMD rig for less money that will run cooler and use less power and will smoke that prescott. running prescott core is like having a space heater in your case. one of Intel's biggest mistakes imo.

9. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

very well said

I was going to go with an Intel setup as well, but you can get a FAR better AMD setup for a fraction the cost