Rant/vent: The family wants to get a "hang on the wall" TV

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MattThom01, Jun 26, 2006.

1. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

OK, this is somewhat of a serious post, and somewhat of a rant. We recently rearranged/ got some new furniture. We basically switched the position of the couch and TV, so now the TV is at the back of the living room, and the TV is up front. Problem is, the TV is only a 27 incher, and the entertainment stand only holds up to a 32 incher. The TV looks way small from where the couch is now, and my fmaily thinks that a 32 incher would still be too small. So, they want to upgrade to a 40-50 inch Plasma or other flatscreen that they can hang on the wall.

We have a Yamaha HTIB setup out there (with an upgrade from the original receiver to a newer Yamaha receiver), which they will be fine with for sound.

Here's what gets me. When I move out, and my bro starts school again, it will just be my mom and dad there. My mom hardly ever watches TV., my dad works all through the week, and only watches TV on the weekends. We have standard def satellite right now, and I havent really mention of the need to upgrade to High Def when and if we get the bigger TV.

My brother seems to think that they wont care, and that it will look good enough from the back of the room. I'm pretty much just thinking that they have no idea what they will be getting into, and that this is way overkill for what they want/use/need.

Anyways, does anyone have a good recommendation for a 40 inch to 50 inch flatscreen for within a $3000 budget?

But blah, I just feel like banging my head against the wall...cause getting a 3000 HD TV for a family that wont really use it....just seems like overkill. Please talk me down!

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well, you can get a nice EDTV 42" plasma for around $1200.

Or spring for a 42" HDTV plasma for around $1800.

In terms or models, I'd get shot for mentioning anything. Honestly, I don't know what's "awsome" and whats not. But I've been to the local stores and Cosco, and I know that they all have some sweet looking HDTV 42" Plasmas for under $1800. Go buy what looks good, is what I say.

3. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Yeah, that's probably what they will end up doing...I'm just a bit of a home theater enthusiast myself, so it seems like it would be somewhat wasteful for them to get an HD TV when they wouldn't really use it.

But thanks for the mention of looking for an EDTvV...that's a good idea! Then they can get their big display on the wall, and I won't feel like they are wasting it by not using HD.

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Have them get HD for one month from your local cable provider or satellite company. Even my mother (only watches big brother, and the news) could tell the difference once they upgraded. My dad, who normally doesn't care how it looks as long as it's big was amazed by the quality and wont go back. Then that 2k tv wont seem so ridiculous.