SRS Rant: I cant stand cheapskates!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JakobwithaK, Jun 1, 2007.

1. JakobwithaK

JakobwithaK Titty fuck for the win!

I just want to see if you guys think im being reasonable about this?

Ok, first off I hate, absolutely cant stand cheap people. I find that the people that ive known in my life who are total cheapskates, I limit myself from them as far as friendship goes. Nothing against them, but I just cant stand this behaviour. It is degrading to the human form.

Trust me, Ive known a lot of cheap people in my life, and one of my loser cousins has always been the biggest cheapskate that ive ever known. My cousin is so damn cheap, if he buys you something on loan or whatever, he expects to the exact penny paid back to him even if its 2 cents over the dollar.

But I think this friend I work with might take the cake. Nothing against him, he is a really nice guy, we get along well and so on. But hes not someone I would hang out with outside of work simply because his attitude annoys me and pisses me off at times...and hes just embarassing to be around.

For instance, this guy is so cheap he will never buy himself a proper lunch, unless it was free like if someone offered to pay for him and he would accept it no questions asked. So instead he just buys a cookie, or apple or whatever for lunch. Give me a break, this guy is a big dude and he thinks we are all stupid to believe an apple would fill him up for a 9 hr day? He keeps telling everyone, that hes just trying to save up for a house. Umm, ok understandable but there is a huge difference from saving money and being cheap about it....like going hungry purposely just so you dont have to spend money.:ugh:

You talk about anything, and all he says is "oh thats too much, it should be free.....or it should be $5, or $10" Who does this guy think he is? Nothing in life is free, and if you want something you pay it. He wears the same pants every single day and maybe 3 or 4 shirts - half of them looking like fruit of the loom sweatshirts from WalMart. And yet we are working downtown in one of the largest towers? :ugh2: Go and buy yourself some half decent clothes jesus. But he always says he has no time to......."uhh no youre just too fuckin cheap"

Even when he buys things, he always asks for the biggest one. This one time he was buying a cookie for lunch, he didnt mention anything about wanting the biggest one...so the lady just hands him over one. As he pulls it out of the bag, he inspects it and starts whining because he got ripped off with a small piece. :ugh: Hes like "Oh, pppfft of course she had to give me the smallest one" Give me a break, what are you....in kindergarten? THis was so embarassing, I didnt even want to be seen with this cheapskate in public.

So my question is, do you think Im being inconsiderate or fair about how I limit my interaction with people who tend to be cheap.....and frankly dont want to be friends with them.

2. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

3. JakobwithaK

JakobwithaK Titty fuck for the win!

I wouldnt say that.

that explains me as well.

4. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Most of my friends think I'm a cheapass. I don't like to spend more than $5 on a meal. I think $20 per person is an expensive restaurant. I hate going out downtown because it's like $20 to get in anywhere and then $5-15 PER DRINK. I think $40 is expensive for a dress shirt. I think $80 is expensive for shoes.

5. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

In my personal opinion, I don't find why this bothers you so much. To not like someone because they don't want to spend their money is a little silly. But if it makes you that uncomfortable, then don't associate with them.

6. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Being cheap is one thing but being the broke dude is another. I hate it when I go some where and there is that broke dude who can't chip towards the beer or the food at a bar. The richer people always get stuck picking up the fucking slack. If I go anywhere, I wont buy anything because I know I will end up paying for food and everyone be like, let me have a fry until I have none left.

7. illmaceyougood

illmaceyougood New Member

I don't understand why it's such a big deal either.

8. modspace

modspace New Member

Well I consider myself a cheapskate, but not as bad as complaining about getting a small cookie.

I don't see the big deal, I just don't like to spend money unless it's something I really want. I only have like two pairs of jeans I wear, but I'm happy with it.

What bothers me is people always complaining about being poor and broke yet they make no effort into saving money or anything.

9. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

I think those people are going a little overboard but you really have no room to talk since you have the opposite problem. You are always making threads about how you blow money on overpriced things just to impress others. Maybe you should take a lesson from these people on how to be a little better with your money.

10. Midgetized

:rofl: :werd: I don't get how people waste so much money on food. My ex and I went to a restaurant on our anniversary and the bill came out to $100. Afterwards we were like wow that was the stupidest waste of money ever :ugh:

11. Midgetized

Aww boo hoo. Is it even your money? I bet it's all mommy and daddy's money that you're spending anyway so who cares? Try getting a job and working for your own money and then come back and complain.

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Damn, there needs to be more chicks like you around :x:

13. Midgetized

I know ;)

14. Takitome

Takitome New Member

I have a sense of value. If i'm buying something overly expensive, and I know it's not worth that I'll buy it somewhere else where it's cheaper instead. Depends on the amount, and how much effort I have to make to get it. If it's too much hastle I won't give a shit. I'd rather pay more and keep things simple then stress about things.

Being carefull about money is one thing. But being that sensitive about it is a sign of weak character as it doesn't come from not having money. It's a selfish ego thing. It's a kind of greed. You want more then you pay for, yet if the situation wore turned, you would not give it away for less then it's real worth. You'd actually want more then it's worth.

15. DvBoard

DvBoard New Member

There's a difference between being cheap and wasting money.

For instance: the guy at your work could fix and lunch from home, thus he would save money and insure he has a good meal. He has an idea, but hasn't thought through to optimize the return from what he puts in. To me being full and happy is worth more than money.

16. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The question is ,why would you let it bother you? You just keep looking at your own life in that perspective instead of judging others what they should do with their money.

Life is so expensive that people try to reduce costs everywhere they can, its therefore not so suprisingly that there's a bunch of people who do not like to waste a single penny. I'll just give you to hear the advice of cheapskates ,namely ' don't be cheap if you don't have to'

That's something you might be able to tell those other people that you know who are overly stingy.

17. crunchy_black

crunchy_black OT Supporter

I have a friend like that.

He comes to your house always on a empty stomach.
    His birthday gifts are always something he got for free.

But.. it is funny when ur drunk and start rolling money down the road and watch him chase after it :rofl:

18. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You got to be joking me, would he honestly go after it?

19. crunchy_black

crunchy_black OT Supporter

Yes.. he did. I die lie to him at the time and say it was $2 but really it was 10 or 20 cents, sucker!

20. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I worked for a long time while in college and bought some of the best stock you can buy, Publix. I am also working Summer B but will quit in the Fall since I will be taking five, maybe six classes. Oh and my scholarship pays living expenses so, it is your money too.

I am sorry I don't let my self get used by being the dude who buys the beer and no one chips for it. So, I just buy singles to avoid that little problem.

21. ///M Pilot

///M Pilot New Member

Sometimes its nice to go out and blow $200+ on dinner.

Ruth's Chris or equivalent "nice dining" + wine = $$$

Can't take it with ya when ya go, might as well enjoy the ride while you got it

22. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

That's not cheap. You owe him that money whether that's 2 cents or $2k. If he loaned you the money in the first place that's generosity & you owe him the respect to pay him back.

Regarding your friend, ok I can understand the frustration of hearing him complain about money all the time. But if he's not asking you to front him money, and if he's not freeloading off of you... he's certainly entitled to live how he wants to live so he can meet his goals for saving money. If he truly IS saving money for a house, retirement, or whatever, I think he's rather smart in this day an age where it's so easy to spend on unnecessary things.

If instead he's going out with you guys, and cheaping out by not footing his share of the drink tabs, restaurant bills, etc. then I would have an issue with that. I would call that type of person "cheap" and reduce my contact with him/her.

If he's more the first instance, I would think it would make a world of difference in your future life to observe how he's saving money and employ some of that attitude in your own life instead of feeling irritated by it.

It's ok to wear old clothes from last season. It's ok to occasionally eat a home lunch and save yourself $10 for the day. I have only wished I learned this advice back when I was 18 I'd have a huge savings right now.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  23. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Yeah, that is what I consider cheap also. That is what I am talking about and I think Toasty know what I mean about how the group always has that guy that hardly chips anything at all and lets everyone pick up the slack.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2007
  24. Nanook

Nanook New Member

I don't think it matters what the answer is, because I doubt your feelings toward cheap people will change. You come across as angry and petty in your post, for whatever reason.

I think you should mind your own business, he is an adult who can spend his money however he chooses. :dunno:

The only time his spending habits will impact you is over lunch/beers, and you can get around that by not inviting him out, but that doesn't mean you need to totally resent him for it.

25. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I agree with jakowithab

I don't like cheap people because they tend to have certain personalities. For example, hanging out with my cheap friend is impossible. Every question of his is about money.

Me: lets go down to the city
    Him: who's gonna drive? i don't want to, gas is expensive.

Me: lets get something to eat
    Him: I don't want anything, you can just get food.
    (then he bothers me to give him some of my food while i'm eating, fuckin annoying)

Me: Lets go see a movie
    Him: no, that's too expensive.

Basically, cheap people suck because they are hard to have fun with.

So no, I don't think your being inconsiderate.