GUN *rant* gunshop held my gun for 4 days

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by johnson, Jan 16, 2008.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

I bought a gun last Wednesday through an online dealer and he shipped the following day. He used USPS Priority which is only 2-3 days away. I stop by the place on Saturday just as they were closing and asked if my gun came in to which they said no. They are closed Sunday and Monday so I call them again yesterday just as I get off of work. They say no again and I start having doubts. Anyway today I check USPS Delivery Confirmation and it got delivered on Saturday at 10:30AM. :wtf: I just called the place and they said they have it. Im kinda fucking angry right now that 1)They didnt call me as soon as they knew they had it (even if they found out this morning) and 2)He didnt apologize or anything after I talked to him just now.

2. CString

CString New Member

the type of gun will decide how angry i am for you.

3. johnson

johnson New Member

In December I bought a Sig P229R and I had to go out there for them to check the safe to see if they had it. :o

This time it's a M&P 9c.

4. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

dont tell us what kind of gun or anything :hsugh:

5. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

shit, beat me

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Fwiw I've never had someone doing a transfer for me call to tell me that my gun was in. Crappy? Yes, but I'm used to taking it as my job to get a tracking number for the package by now.

7. johnson

johnson New Member

I guess I should just accept it then. I try to buy everything from them if I can but sometimes it doesnt work out and I think I get a different attitude from them.

1) Came out there early December looking for a new P229R and was ready to buy. He says he wont get them in until another month. I go buy one online.

2) Two weeks ago I was ready to buy a M&P 9c for $495. The only one they had was one that had a manufacture date of 12/06 and was a display model. I find one with night sights online and buy that one.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

Ask them to discount the transfer fee and bring in the delivery confirmation.

9. Resin

Resin OT Supporter

don't go through then again?

10. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

umm handguns have to be shipped overnight not by priority mail.

11. johnson

johnson New Member

Umm, no they dont. FFL to FFL.

12. thomor25

United Parcel Service firearms policy:

Customers must observe the following procedures to ship firearms, including handguns, via UPS:
    UPS accepts firearm shipments from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Counters. UPS daily pickup accounts can also ship firearms, not including handguns, through UPS Internet Shipping, On Call Air Pickup®, and One-Time Pickup. Firearms are not accepted for shipment via UPS Letter Centers, UPS SonicAir BestFlightSM service, or international service. Firearms will not be accepted when presented for shipment at a UPS Authorized Shipping Outlet or a UPS Commercial Counter.​

UPS accepts handgun shipments from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Counters. Handguns are not accepted for shipment via UPS Letter Centers, UPS SonicAir BestFlight service, UPS Internet Shipping, UPS On Call Air Pickup, UPS One-Time Pickup, or international service. Handguns will not be accepted when presented for shipment at a UPS Authorized Shipping Outlet or a UPS Commercial Counter.​

Firearm shippers shipping through a UPS Customer Counter must have a letter on record with UPS stating their status as an authorized firearm shipper.​

The shipper must affix a UPS label, requesting an adult signature upon delivery, to each package containing a firearm.​

Packages containing handguns must be shipped via UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver®¹ service.

Packages containing handguns must be segregated from other packages being tendered to UPS. Handgun shippers must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Counter clerk of any package containing a handgun.​

UPS prohibits the inclusion of ammunition in packages containing firearms, including handguns.​

In locations where a UPS Next Day Air service is not offered, packages containing handguns must be shipped via the most premium domestic air service available.​
    See also Page 5 (Item 425) of the UPS Tariff, "Firearms and Ammunition," which, new for 2003, states:
    Firearms will be transported only between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers and licensed collectors… to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed dealer for the sole purpose of repair or customizing, and the repaired firearm or a replacement firearm of the same kind or type on return from the licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed dealer to that person.²

13. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

. same with FedEx.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

UPS is not the US Post Office. FFL's can ship handguns by USPS. Shop more, interweb police less.

15. johnson

johnson New Member

I can write in big letters too.

USPS PRIORITY MAIL

16. thomor25

no shit wow, knew that fedex and ups was always overnight but not usps. learn somethign new everyday.

Feels weird tho federal building with a gun. if I knew that I would have sent that ar pistol usps and not had to pay 70 bucks overnight shipping it.

17. johnson

johnson New Member

If you arent an FFL holder you can only ship with UPS or FedEx Next Day Air/Overnight.

FFL holders have to sign this form with every firearm shipment if going through the post office.
    http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1508.pdf

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

:big grin: OT.....its tough love.

19. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

If you are sending it to a manufacturer for a warrantee work, which I will be doing soon, then you have to use UPS or FedEx. I think shipping USPS only applies to sending from AND to any combination of the following: military, FFL, LE, USPS employees specifically authorized by the chief postal inspector and Watchman engaged in guarding federal, state, district, or territory property.

edit: sorry for the triple correction.

20. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

sucks that they didn't call you, but then I have had shops not call me either. What was really pissing me off is that they took like 20 minutes looking around the safe to find my AR lowers, but they were the only AR lowers EVER to go through that shop. You would think that they could recognize them :ugh:

As for walking into USPS with a gun to ship, I don't see the problem, I walked into one with an AK kit and receiver in a box and didn't feel weird :dunno:

21. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

So where'd you order the M&P from?

22. johnson

johnson New Member

23. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

lulz :rofl:

24. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I bet if you ordered it through him he would have called you. ;)

Coming from a retail background I can see where he would not be the most helpful. You could buy it though him yet go somewhere else then have him do the transfer, how would you feel.

Unfortunately, around here all the shops wont even do a transfer on a new item, whether they have it or not. If they can order it they expect you to order through them or they wont help you out. The few that will, charge about $75 so it really eats into any internet savings that you could possibly get.

But as much as I like a nice deal, I can understand it.

I'd suggest just finding a different dealer. If there arent any, live with it.

25. johnson

johnson New Member

That seems to be the only problem with this dealer. Everything else is fine. Customer service is great when im in the store. They pretty much know everyone's first name if you been in the store a few times. Anyway, I got the gun and im done ranting.

Found out that they can get RRA, LMT, and Magpul so I dont have to do any online ordering anymore for my AR15 build.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008