MMA Rant from this weekend

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Optamix, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Ok, so because I was bored me and a friend decided to go to "Ring Rulers" in Meridian, MS.

This was the worst show I've ever been to. And I'm not talking about the production of it(which was lacking for sure) but the quality of fights.

I always understand that at the beginning there will be a few fights that suck. The new guys, etc.. Everyone has to start somewhere. But the entire card was filled up with guys that had zero to very very little MMA experience.

Then I noticed another trend. I started looking at all the "teams" that were competing. In MS I know where the good schools are. These were guys training out of "teams" in their back yards.

Taken from one of their myspace. And I swear to god its "Team Never Back Down" :mamoru:

[​IMG]

There is a legit school with a Royce Gracie black belt and a kickboxing coach that just beat JC Pennington about 35 min away!

And in the co-main event the the trainer for "Team Dupree" fought his first fight ever and it was the funniest thing I've ever seen. ZERO ground training and his stand up looked worse than mine(you have to work really hard to have more pathetic stand up than mine). It really bothers me that this guy was "teaching" other fighters. I can't believe I paid 25 bucks to watch this crap. Plus they all had to wear 12 ounce open fingered gloves.

The only good fight was the 2 girls that fought. One of them was a Guy Mezger trained fighter out of Dalles.

Now for the next part of the story you have to understand a little bit about Meridian, MS. Its barely larger than a town and its very redneck. The after party was at "Club Furnace". This turned out to be the bar on the inside of the Best Western Hotel :rofl::rofl: It was such a dive. Me and my buddy got hammered and met this girl there. She told us that she was going to take us to Club Element(I love how these places put "club" in front of their names..its still a bar guys) after this place closed at 1. Suffice to say we get hammered and go with her. Shes a pretty cool girl I guess, I was too twisted to really know.

So Element was a BYOB Techno bar, hahah. So we were bummed that we didn't have anything else to drink. So this girl went to her car and brought back a fifth of vodka and handed it to us. Fuck it, bottoms up. Things get hazy from there but after shamlessly flirting with the Guy Mezger trained girl we somehow end up back where we were staying about 4am.

I'm still hung over.

2. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

3. teep

teep New Member

didn't you drive 4 hours for this crap

4. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Yes.

Hearing the girl we were with drunkely tell my friend how wet she was in the bar and then watching him get cockblocked by some fat guy was totally worth it though.

Plus, when else will I get to party at Club Furnace?

5. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

this is turning into the new back yard wrestling thing :hsugh:

6. teep

teep New Member

it was happening even before Never Back Down. I just never thought anyone would let these kids actually fight in a "show"

7. Optamix

Optamix New Member

4 fighters self admitted to me that they had no formal training.

I don't mind the first few fights being crap like this, but the entire card?!

The girls should have been the main event, they were by far the best trained out of any of them.

I wanted to get in the cage after the guy won the main event and tell him he sucked. Had I been as drunk as I got at Club Furnace this might have happened.

8. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

i would beg to differ about you having the worst standup. i'm afraid to get hit in sparring.

9. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

This doesnt happen here way too much redtape and bullshit to put on a show. Makes it so hard to get a fight, my 1st fight was because of a late injury and they were reluctant even though I had 4 ama boxing bouts and about 9months of BJJ.

10. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I'm really surprised the athletic commission let this go on. The MS commission is usually pretty hands on. The director trains in MMA and he is a big enthusiast.

11. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Yeah it suprises me too I always thought athletic commisions over there were similarly strict to the ones here.

12. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

from what you said, i should probably get a couple of fights there. just to build my resume. lol.

13. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

14. raxton

raxton .

you should change your av to her new and improved updated look :ugh2: