RANT: ever get tired of giving people advice?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BlazinBlazer Guy, Dec 17, 2003.

1. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about. You're the first person everyone turns to for advice when its time to upgrade that computer or buy something technical. So, you give out your well-educated and informed advice, but what do they do? Nothing but argue with you, or tell you how wrong you are.

Example, my grandpa just came to me saying that his fiancee (79 years old and getting re-maried? :ugh: ) wants to buy her granddaughter a laptop to take away to college. He asks me for a recommendation and wants to know how cheaply he can get away with. I say go with a dell, they have ones as cheap as like $700 that have everything she'll need; but I would upgrade :mb: because it will make the system that much better, as well as be sure to go with the longest/best warranty available.

He responds by saying "well I don't know why we'd need a warranty, I'm sure you can just get generic replacement parts for half that stuff if it ever broke for cheaper than buying the warranty :mb:" its like, do you not REALIZE that I'm a professional at this stuff? :rant2: and then further, he goes on to say "well maybe we can get something just as good at a swap meet and then just call you up if it breaks."

hell no, I'm not fixing shit on a useless, :greddy:-ass swap-meet laptop unless you're gonna pay me :madfawk:

ok, rant over. :rant2:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2003
  2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

The first hint of argument I clam up.

"I thought you wanted advice, not an argument. My mistake."

3. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

:werd: Always, overcharge on second-hand or no-name-pre-built computers.

4. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

:ugh: I hate giving advice or fixing people's problems, I can't fucking stand it. Unless I'm getting paid :hs:

5. fyp619

fyp619 New Member

or if you give them advice, they call you for 24x7 tech support after.

6. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I hear ya, I fucking hate when someone tells me i'm wrong when I know i'm right, i'm gonna start throwing the line that prelude posted...hellz ya

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Heh, I'm condescending enough that people don't usually ask my advice ;)

If they do I don't usually mind giving it, not like I have anything better to do in chem class or on the bus or whatever. Only people who ask me to do things for them are the people I work with/for, so I get paid for that ;)

8. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

9. D3aC0n

D3aC0n Vesa ToskaLOL OT Supporter

I'm the "tech support guy" at my dorm.... it never ends.

10. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

People never argue with me on my advice. :big grin:

11. I'm a cynical sarcastic bastard. first time someone asks me for advice then acts against it and later needs my help in fixing their situation, I make damn sure they know not to go down that path again. if they want my advice, they don't act against it and expect me to clean up their mess later.

12. BlazinBlazer Guy

I like that.... I'm gonna use that :bowdown: :bigthumb:

13. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

werd

14. SmAssher

SmAssher Umm....Mooo?

:werd: People that don't know anything agrue with me all the time. I also hate teaching people how to do stuff, like my dad..he shouldn't be allowed to use a computer..I had to teach him how to copy and paste about 2 weeks ago :hs:

15. fyp619

fyp619 New Member

people need to be able to pass a test before getting admin rights for their computer. everytime i install a OS for someone, i'm making myself administrator and them a guest haha.

16. BlazinBlazer Guy

:rofl: I feel your pain, I had to teach my 76 year old grandfather how to do all of that back in 1999.... the man listens to NPR and hears things about technology so he thinks he's some computer genius. Has to argue the hell out of EVERYTHING. Including how to copy/paste "but it shouldn't work that way, you should be able to do :mb: instead"

too bad thats the way it's worked since windows ever was thought about! :rant2:

17. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Usually, I really don't mind giving advice and recommendations to people. I don't even mind a lot when someone asks me to fix their computer. However it gets old when you think I'm your personal tech repair bitch and continually call me over for 3 hour repair sessions on your shitty computers. That was the case with my friend's dad and he ended up giving me alot of money for my trouble, but it was very annoying up until that point...

I hate it when old people try to use computers :mad: :mad: :mad:

18. BlazinBlazer Guy

oh definitely.... boy do I have stories.... like my aunt calling me up because she had gotten a virus on her computer; and it was bad enough that I had to wipe it all and reinstall EVERYTHING on there, right down to the AIM/etc. apps that have to be downloaded. Unfortunately when I found out about it was when I was already an hour away from home with no tools. Took 7 damn hours with their bloody Pentium 120Mhz with 64MB RAM... on Windows 98 second edition :rant2: -- and 56K dialup to download the addon shit

19. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

gag me with a chainsaw