MIL Ranger School?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by x000000x, Jun 14, 2007.

1. x000000x

x000000x OT Supporter

So how is Ranger school these days??

I got my physical the other week and it looks like im going this fall..

Any info or help would be thankful..

Matthew

2. x000000x

x000000x OT Supporter

thanks ;)

3. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Hmm buddy said he ate enough slept enough to get through. Just don't quit and you should have a pretty good shot.

4. Shingmaster

Shingmaster omgOTbangaz4life

Training

Ranger School training centers on a basic scenario: the flourishing drug operations of the enemy forces, “the Cortinian Army,” must be eradicated. To do so, the Rangers will have to take the fight to the enemy's territory, the rough terrain surrounding Fort Benning, the mountains of northern Georgia, and the swamps and coast of Florida. Ranger students are given a clear mission, but they determine how best to execute it.
    Field instruction is the majority of the coursework; students carry gear weighing as much as 45 kg (100 lbs), spending each day planning and executing attacks against widely dispersed targets, followed by a rapid march to a new patrol base to again begin the planning cycle. Training during the course averages 19.4 hours per day, thus, students sleep only an average of 4.6, and eat two, or fewer, meals per day. This heavily fatigues them throughout the course. Common folk wisdom, reported by students, is that they begin the Ranger course at their peak life-time physical fitness, but find themselves worn down to their lowest life-time physical fitness upon completing the physically and psychologically punishing soldiering course.

[edit] Benning Phase

Fort Benning is the home of the Ranger Training Brigade and its 4th Ranger Training Battalion, which hosts the “crawl” phase of Ranger School, where students learn the fundamentals of squad-level mission planning. This phase is critical to success, as it lays the groundwork for the “walk” and “run” phases. At Benning, training is separated into two parts, the Ranger Assessment Phase (RAP) and Camp Darby.
    The Ranger Assessment Phase includes:[1]
    • Ranger Physical Fitness Test requiring
    • 49 push-ups
    • 59 sit-ups
    • Individual 5-mile release run in 40 minutes or less
    • Concluding with 6 chin-ups.
    • Combat Water Survival Assessment at Victory Pond
    • Land navigation test
    • Modern Army Combatives Program (MACP) training
    • Individual 12 mile foot march
    • The “Darby Mile” run event, a 1.63 mile terrain run with the Malvesti obstacle course negotiated afterwards.
    • Demolitions training and airborne refresher training
    At Camp Darby, students are taught patrolling techniques and execution of squad combat operations. They must also complete the Darby Queen obstacle course.

[edit] Mountain phase

At the 5th Ranger Training Battalion, the students learn mountaineering skills, and spend much of the phase traversing steep terrain. Due to the elevation, cold weather becomes an additional obstacle that Ranger students must overcome.

[edit] Florida phase

At the 6th Ranger Training Battalion, they must demonstrate tactical and technical proficiency in swampy terrain leading a platoon patrol. This phase includes small boat operations and an extensive do-or-die field-training exercise.
    Ranger School students will participate in three airborne and ten air-assault operations. A student's leadership ability is evaluated at various levels in various situations. Part of the evaluation is a peer evaluation; failing a peer evaluation can result in disqualification.

[edit] Recycling

If a student performs successfully, but suffers an injury that keeps him from finishing, he may be re-cycled at the discretion of either the battalion or the brigade commander; he’ll be given an opportunity to heal and finish the course with the next class. Students can also be re-cycled for failing a leadership evaluation on patrol; however, if a student fails patrols in a given phase twice, he will usually be offered a "day one re-start" and have to begin Ranger school from RAP week onwards. Day one restarts can also be given (the other option being removed from training, never to return) in the case of soldiers who fail patrol leadership positions and peer evaluations. In rare cases, those assessed of integrity violations (lying, cheating, stealing) will also be given the ability to take a day one restart, however these soldiers are usually permanently removed from course.
    Historically, the graduation rate has remained constant at 50%; only around 20% of soldiers make it through all three phases without having to repeat a phase.

wikipedia ftw :hsd:

5. Accido

Accido New Member

Individual 5-mile release run in 40 minutes or less

Wow. I'm just barely getting 1.2 miles in 14 minutes. Tough sons of bitches.

6. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

He isn't in yet.

7. x000000x

x000000x OT Supporter

good deal

8. Accido

Accido New Member

navy basic training requires a 1.5 mile run in 14 minutes. I'm almost there. :bigthumb:

9. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

how old are you you? i went to boot when i was 18, i had to do it in less than 11. now i have 13 or so.

10. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

it's 12:15 for the 1.5 mile run for the lowest male age group...17-19.

11. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

if you cant squeeze out the 1.5 in 12:30 or less you are out of shape

12. murdok311

murdok311 New Member

should be under 10

13. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

July 8th...class up in Ranger. :noes:

14. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

His profile says he is 25 years old.

15. Accido

Accido New Member

Nah. I'm just not a runner. I ride a bike all the time though :dunno:

16. Accido

Accido New Member

yup. They showed me a chart, which said in order to pass basic I only needed to run 1.5 in 14 minutes. I've never really jogged or did any running before but after two weeks I'm almost there. :bigthumb:

17. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Army standard for graduating from basic (age 25) is two-mile run in 17:30. After basic, you go to AIT and in order to graduate from AIT you would have to complete a two-mile run in 16:36. This would be performed after completing the first two phases of the APFT (40 pushups in two minutes and 50 situps in two minutes).

At your current pace, your two-mile run time is about 23:20. :o

You sound like you're probably already doing this, but the best way to improve your run time is to run. Do it religiously, whether you want to or not, whether the weather is good or not. Good luck.

18. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

eeek..and i thought i was out of shape because my 1.5 time is around 10:15 :noes:

19. Accido

Accido New Member

Yeah. I'm more or less jogging right now and I'm working up to actually 'running'. I think in order to get 1.5 miles in 14 minutes I'm gonna have to run at about 6.5 miles per hour. I haven't worked it out yet but in order to do 5 miles in 40 minutes I'd have to run around the same speed but for a lot longer. :-\ Yeah I guess I'm out of shape if this is average.

20. murdok311

murdok311 New Member

run intervals, thats the best way i have found to get faster, whether you run/walk or run/jog both will work, but when you do the run, run at the pace you want to be at or faster