ranger got stuck in 4low

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Zimmy76, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Zimmy76

Zimmy76 I like my beer like I like my violence, domestic

I was at a friends farm the other day and a friend of mine took my 99 ranger out through the fields. When I went to leave I noticed it was stuck in 4low, and wouldn't come out. It was set on 2wd, but the 4low light was on, and I could tell it was in 4low.

I drove alittle bit, and put the truck in netural then would put the switch to 4 high then back to 2wd. Nothing was happening so I decided I'd drive a couple more miles, and my 4wd was just whinning(sp). So I pulled off to the road to try to fix it again. Eventually one of my friends drove it around and got it back to 2wd.(Thankfully he didn't break anything)

Anyway does anyone know what could have caused this, or what I should do to fix the problem.

thanks in advance, bob

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

did you put it in netral?

3. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

What type of 4WD mechanism do you have? Is it the actual shifter or is it the switch?

4. Zimmy76

I have the switch and from what I've been told can be switched while on the go.

But to answer your question I did put it in netral and would put it in 4high then back to 2wd, and nothing happened.

5. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

I also have the switch in my F150. This is how it is supposed to work. Switching to 4Hi can be done on the go; but at 50 mph or less and I would recommend letting off the gas. Switching to 4Lo MUST always be done at a complete stop with the gear selector in neutral. Switching out of 4Hi can be done at any speed, switching out of 4Lo should be the reverse of going in. These switches are also notorious for going bad.

6. Zimmy76

Thanks for the help

7. JW2

JW2 New Member

I also have a 4WD ranger, and I can confirm that this is the correct procedure for the Ranger as well.