A&P Rangefinders anyone?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Changed, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Changed

Changed Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've been looking to get into street photography of late... The 350D isnt really optimal for street. Have been looking at the Bessa R. Obviously, everybody would own a Leica in a perfect world, but I'm strapped for cash. The body is ~$250 and a decent lens (Nokton 50 1.5) is ~$340. Not bad for some badass B&W film street shots :dunno:

Any comments or advice on buying a rangefinder would be appreciated. :wavey:

2. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

why would this be better suited for street photography?

3. Changed

Changed Guest

smaller than a SLR, alot quieter, less obtrusive in general than an SLR. Also its simple to operate, but takes much practice to master. Plus its film, which would be my first venture into film photography :o

4. quickmex

quickmex New Member

I have a Minolta Hi-Matic 7SII, bought it for 45 bucks :cool: at a local used camera store, in more than mint condition. It has shutter priority metering, a hotshoe, and decent glass (Rokkor 40mm F/1.7). It's also smaller than the Bessa R and has a leaf shutter (not sure if the R does), which is ultra quiet. I use it almost every day for the whole "street" beat.

5. Changed

Changed Guest

Nice :coold:

I've heard the Bessa R shutter is "louder" than the Leica's, but I guess it's all relative :dunno:

Somebody also reccomended the Yoshica, but its a cheap camera from Japan (or China), and dont know if its going to be nearly as reliable.

6. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

7. mojito

mojito New Member

no m7 + 50 f/1 no care

8. Changed

Changed Guest

got any spare change?

9. Changed

Changed Guest

I'll probably buy one just because they are like $3, but I'd like something alittle more reliable/better quality :o

10. mojito

mojito New Member

have you actually used one before?

parallex error ftl

11. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

If it's for "street photography", really, how quiet does it need to be? :ugh:

Why not go with a nice Canon Elan 7e? It's an awesome little SLR camera for the money!

12. mojito

mojito New Member

there is a reason for it, thats why leicas use to be so popular amongst PJ's. Much less obtrusive and people react very different between that and a 1 series with a whtie L on when pointed in their face.

13. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

True on the less obtrusive, my question was why would the sound of the shutter matter if it's used for the street?

14. Changed

Changed Guest

:werd:

15. Changed

Changed Guest

If you are trying to conceal the camera, and you are snapping off pics with something like (lets just say) a 350D. The lens noise would tip people off instantly that somebodies taking photos, and everybody is going to be either looking for you, or trying to get away. The goal is to snap photos of people in their natural element, not putting on a front for a camera.

16. MojoDojo

MojoDojo New Member

I recall an article online I read about a guy who would yell or shout at the people in his photo just before snapping off a shot. This way they would all be looking in his general direction. Now that is street photography with balls.

I guess my point is just take the photo, don't worry so much about the equipment. The rangefinder/holga/350d/30d/whatever is no less obvious = everyone knows your taking a picture when you put it up to your eye to compose the photo.

17. Changed

Changed Guest

But thats the point... With a rangefinder you can conceal it in your jacket, and pop it out when nobody is suspecting anything. Try doing that with a SLR w/ a 50mm prime. Another + for RF's is the lens. They are pushed further back into the actual camera, thus making them even easier to conceal. But I understand where you are coming from...

18. quickmex

quickmex New Member

To sort of add to that - Rangefinders are supposedly sharper than slr's, because the lens is much closer to the focal plane. And, with a bit of practice, most find it easier and faster to focus, whre a conventional AF system on something like an elan will not be good enough.

19. Changed

Changed Guest

:werd: Think I'll be getting a Bessa R3a and the 50mm Nokton for Christmas :x:

20. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

rangefinders are easier/quciker to focus compared to a split prism SLR. a modern autofocus system is quicker

21. quickmex

quickmex New Member

I know when you have a sophisticated camera/lens combo the AF will be great, but I was more comparing it to the previous example. Even in AI servo mode my rebel xt (which i think is close to a digi equivalent of an elan) will be left in the dust by my rangefinder. :bigthumb: