MIL Range week sucks

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TRN, May 15, 2008.

1. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Waking up at 3:30 every morning to go sit at the armory and then the range until the sun comes up so we can shoot FTMFL!

We qualed yesterday but the field fire is now counted for score and they are going to try and rush us through pre-qual and qual tomorrow morning before the shitty thunderstorms attack the east coast.

:hsugh:

2. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

I never understood why the range ran the way it is.

3. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Cuz that's how Chesty wanted it.

4. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Going to the Range Tomorrow. I just shaved my head, now washing my clothes, bout to dry em and go out to buy some head phones for my iPod Nano. Some Claritin for my allergies, and probably some tasty snacks.

I'm not taking my entire 782 gear. I'm taking a big pilot parachute bag to put my clothing in, my marine backpack, lbv for magazine cartridges, belt for medical kit and canteens, probably the dark green part of the sleeping bag and stuff it in the black bag it comes with, a poncho thingy, and perhaps another miniature parachute bag for extra stuff.

We have to show up at 5AM and go through the same situation.

Hurry up and wait.

5. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Damn, all that shit? Whatever happened to just taking your rifle Mon-Thurs. and deuce gear, kevlar, flak, and gas mask on Friday?

6. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

holy jesus wtf kind of range do you goto :eek4:

drinks, a towel for sweat (okinawa is fucking hot), gortex (it rains), LBV w/ mags a sling and some sunblock is all i ever bring.

wtf do you need your sleeping bag and ifak for? :rofl::rofl::rofl::hs:

7. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

The field fire is now added to your KD score too and apparently Stone Bay (Lejeune) is the only range in the Corps that doesn't have the set up for it yet even though 1/3 the Marine Corps comes here to qual. :hsugh:

Instead they do some stupid conversion on your score since it's from the 50yd.

8. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

MCAS Miramar's electronic high speed, low drag, range FTMFW!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: You stay put instead of lugging all your shit up and down the range. You don't have to pull targets, it's all lasers and what not. Rain or shine, you're under a roof, in the shade and dry. Police call for brass is a quick 5 min job. The range is right next to the base, so you don't have to get up at zero dark thirty in the morning. and your day at the range is actually shorter. Depending on which relay you're on, that determines what time you show up at the range. The range trailer also has a small soda mess to get your snack on.:bigthumb:

9. Mint Berry Crunch

Mint Berry Crunch Active Member

I loved my unit in Germany. We shot in civilian clothes. Come in around 0700 and be home by noon.

10. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

:eek4:

Are you being serious?

11. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Yeah, I believe it was the Corps first of its kind. It was finished back in '03 I think. It sucked getting up at 0330 for the drive up to Pendleton. Shit when I was a bus driver for the wing in Futenma, I had to get up even earlier. I had to go pick up Marines at their barracks since most didn't have transportation to get to the armory, then drive em up north to , was it Hanson or Schwab? I forget. The good thing was that as soon as we got to the range, we the bus drivers knocked the fuck out in the bus, AC on full blast.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  12. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

just got back from the range yesterday. woke up at 3, got to the company at 4, left by 4:30, shot, qualed, and was home by 4pm

13. dura

dura Guest

I love Army ranges. Paper qual = 40 bullshit shots, actual qual = still equals 40 bullshit shots.

what the fuck :rofl:

14. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Apparently I had Marines from MTU trying to BZO on my target yesterday and I was running up shot groups completely away from what they were aiming at. At one point they were told to not even hit the target and I still ran them up all in the black.
    :mamoru: OOops

I was on one last year where I got there at the usual 0430 and was there until 2130 :wtc:

15. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I love going to the ranges because that's the only place you'll see Marine "Gunners". I wonder how many real gunners there are in the USMC.

16. Bakgat

Bakgat New Member

Just what infantry need,learning how to shoot under cover.:naughty:

err.I was in the infantry in the SADF and shooting ranges always made us cringe.

17. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Umm..it's a range for Marines in the 3rd MAW. Grunts still use their old skool ranges up in Pendleton.

I forgot to mention, there's this "PDA" that tells you were you placed your shot, to make adjustments accordingly. They make you turn it away from you during rapid fire so you don't "walk" your shots onto the bullseye. :mamoru: Also, there's no helping out your buddy next to you by shooting on his target. Each target has a muzzle sensor in front of the shooter, tells the target if the shot came from its actual shooter. Obviously there's also no "pencil-ing" of the target, since no one goes back there, to hook up a shooter that needs a point to qualify. :mamoru:

18. usmc96gt

usmc96gt New Member

lol why dont they just have you walk up half way. seems extremly unfair that way, when it counts for a cutting score. i know out here in hawaii we shoot if on a field with targets set into bases.

19. thekinggovernor

I don't believe this

20. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

21. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I gess the conversion is supposed to even it out. :dunno:

22. thekinggovernor

23. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Almost everybody brought their sleeping bag. The barracks that are provided and run down, shitty, and dirty. Most people brought their entire 782 gear.

So, this rifle range, I go from an Expert to a Marksman. :sad2:

24. thekinggovernor

did you fire table 2?

25. EYOB

EYOB Guest

:rofl: No. We almost didn't get to finish the first part (Table 1A?).

There was a mix up with the timing for the Civilian Buses and I heard that we had to get off the firing range quickly or risk being charged an extra $10,000 to let us finish before leaving via the buses. I don't know how that happened.

Any how, I was psyched about it because they made both 3 and 4 relay get on the firing line at the same time at the 300 yard line sitting and fire off all our rounds. 9 of us decided we were going to shoot at one target. Give the guys in the pits some hell. :mamoru:

Then a few minutes later they told 4th relay to back off the firing line and decided to continue on with the normal program (instead of wasting off all the rounds we had left over to get back on the buses). :hs: