GUN Range vs Home Defense Ammo (9mm Luger)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by antiabercrombie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. antiabercrombie

antiabercrombie fuk u lemonardo OT Supporter

I see a lot of ammo reviews saying that something is great range ammo. I also see some specialty, higher quality ammo, marketed for home defense.

Does it really matter? If I go through several boxes of "range ammo" in a particular brand, and I have no problems with it...is it unwise to trust my life with it when it comes to home defense?

Higher priced "home defense" ammo looks like a marketing gimmick to me, but I don't have enough experience to know if I'm correct.

2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

hollow points, jacketed hollow points, etc serve the purpose of doing the most damage without overpenetration.

they expand, they should get good, decent penetration even through clothing and mostly they shouldn't come out the other end.

obviously shit happens but do you really want to shoot someone with fmj when the possibility of it flying through them and hitting someone else is much higher than the alternative?

3. antiabercrombie

I've only shot FMJs so far.

Is that the main difference in the home defense ammo, they're hollow points?

4. antiabercrombie

What's wrong?

5. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

Ideally, one should practice solely with his/her defense round of choice, but that could get expensive.
    I usually keep my magazines full of whatever HD round I plan on using, and then when I go to the range, I shoot that first, then switch off to my "range" ammo. It helps me get/keep a feel for my ammo of choice, but i still manage to save money by using range ammo...

6. sprite

sprite Active Member

They also tend to loaded a little hotter for more velocity, and generally speaking undergo more strict quality control at the factory.

Some good defensive loads are Corbon DPX, Winchester Ranger, Speer GoldDot, Federal HST... and a handful of others.

ETA: There are some gimmicky loads that aren't worth cost... like most of the "Extreme Shock" brand and whatever the hell they call that one that is supposed to penetrate hard barriers but virtually explode upon contact with flesh.

7. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

in most modern handguns, hollow point ammunition will feed as reliably as FMJ. that being said, i never shoot that many HP rounds at the range, maybe just a mag full out of the mag i'll be carrying just to test functionality. there may be a small difference in point of impact but i doubt it would be enough to notice if using in a self defense situation.

i think when people refer to a type of ammo as being great range ammo they're talking about the price and reliability.

the modern self defense ammo isn't a marketing gimmick, although they are much more expensive i don't mind the cost because i don't really buy that much and if i were to have to use it i wouldn't worry about how much money i'm putting in the bad guy's direction.

8. antiabercrombie

That was my dilemma...firing home defense ammo would get very expensive. I didn't want to use cheaper ammo at the range for practice and then use different ammo that I'm not as familiar with for defense.

I think I'll try what you suggested, and shoot 1 mag of the expensive stuff first.

Any recommendations on good home defense ammo? EDIT: thanks sprite. :wavey:

9. It's a magazine, not a clip. :)

As for good defensive ammo, sprite has listed a bunch in his post.

10. antiabercrombie

I did a ninja edit when I noticed my mistake. :wiggle:

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

.40 S&W:
    Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
    Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
    Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
    Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)
    Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
    Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
    Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
    Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)
    Winchester 180 gr bonded JHP (Q4355)

.45 ACP:
    Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
    Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
    Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

Notes:
    -- Obviously, clone loads using the same bullet at the same velocity work equally well (ie. Black Hills ammo using Gold Dot bullets, Corbon loads using Barnes XPB bullets, etc…)

-- Bullet designs like the Silver Tip, Hydra-Shok, and Black Talon were state of the art 10 or 15 years ago. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to the older designs. The bullets in the Federal Classic and Hydrashok line are outperformed by other ATK products such as the Federal Tactical and HST, as well as the Speer Gold Dot; likewise Winchester Ranger Talons are far superior to the old Black Talons or civilian SXT's.

12. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

I always shoot WWB (Winchester White Box) at the range and probably cycle my HD/SD ammo once a month or two. You should at least know the feel of it.

When choosing a HD/SD ammo, just keep reading. Most of the other forums I am on (XDtalk in particular) the guys normally have a preference.

I keep Speer Gold Dot in my XD SC 9mm and also in my S&W 442 .38.
    They have a short barrel specific round that is supposed to expand better out of the shorter barrels and a lot of the XD guys stand behind them.

Keep an eye out for the new Hornady TAP stuff too. Its supposed to be good but as always, I will let others take the plunge in purchasing and testing before I buy it.

Of course the ultimate test is kinda tough to find a test subject for as no matter if the round expands correctly or not, the end result wont ever be good.

I forget the name of the site, but those guys that shoot all sorts of different stuff with different ammo is good site for unbiased opinions as well. Its like Boxoftruth.com or truthbox.com. Something like that. I'm sure someone will chime in with it.

13. antiabercrombie

Can civilians by the Winchester Ranger ammo?

Their site says it's law enforcement only. :sad2:

14. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

they only sell it to leo, iirc, but you can find it online

15. Hibidi-Shibidi

Kick ass post.

I have also heard of the Hydrashoks having trouble expanding out of shorter barreled guns.

16. Rev Happy

Rev Happy Active Member

Range ammo is typically FMJ (Full Metal Jacketed) and HD loads are JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point). FMJ's do not expand like JHP defensive loads, they will penetrate, exit, and bleed a live target out. The JHP should expand in materials resulting in not killing the target.

At the range I always shoot FMJ's and when I find a good JHP defensive load I'll shoot half of them at the range and load the rest in a mag at home.

17. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

ra9t ftmfw

i carry gold dots :o

19. antiabercrombie

Thanks, Soybomb. And everyone else for the info. :wavey:

20. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

:ugh::ugh:

21. Hibidi-Shibidi

[email protected] not killing target.

22. johnson

johnson New Member

Are you on KCSR?

23. Hibidi-Shibidi

Lol. Maybe.

24. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Winchester used to call the previous generations of this ammunition "black talon." It was demonized as some terrible baby killing ammunition to the public (who doesn't know any better, they're not shooters) by the media. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon

Winchester took the smart PR and probably legal move and tried to change the image of their defensive ammo. You can buy it although like a lot of gun stuff it is sold out at a lot of places. I think they're supposed to be making some more runs of it soon last I heard. I like http://www.mahsupplies.net

25. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I use WWB at the range, and Speer Gold Dot as a defensive ammo. The main difference is FMJ vs. JHP... FMJ will pentrate a lot more which makes it more dangerous for innocent people who might be in the proximity of the scumb bag you are shooting at...