GUN Range trip

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by no7fish, Apr 20, 2009.

1. no7fish

no7fish New Member

So, no pics but the GF and I hit the range yesterday. Good times for sure and the range in Raleigh is growing on me a bit. We shot entirely reloads and had no issues with them as such (i'll elaborate later) and I tested a few loads too.

9mm load works well, pretty accurate, esp in the P6 which I was pleased with. .40 works well also, dropped down a bit from some loads that were showing pressure signs in the primer and some case bulge.

.45 loads shot great! I've worked up a load I'm happy with using 230's and 6.3 gr of Unique. The books I have say Unique maxes out at 6.2-6.4 grs depending on the book. I've recently come by Ken Waters' "Pet Loads" book and his data goes all the way to 7.5 grs!! He said that's def max and WILL wear on the gun but can be used safely, and that up to 7.0 is fine for regular shooting. I took that, and the fact that I was showing no signs of nearing max on previous loads, and loaded some hotter batches in small increments. 7.0 grs is a freakin HANDFUL in the Kimber UC2!!

I think I'll stick with the 6.3 region for my .45 (esp as the short barrel probably doesn't gain much fps with more powder) but it's comforting to know I'm way under the limit and that I could go hotter if I get a bigger .45 with less flip to it in future. Also kind of neat developing loads outside the range of the manual, even though with guidance from a 3rd party manual of sorts.

Any of you guys used Unique in .45 loads?

So we had the UC2, the Sig P6, HK USPc .40, and (a new toy on loan from pops) the Sig P250 9mm. She has a P6 of her own which she likes fine but she has to get some experience before she figures out the things she likes and doesn't. She's approaching that point now. Can you guess which one she likes best?

*drumroll*

P250! And the reason is the DOA pull!!! She said the others with single action after the first shot are a bit too light for her and the first shot is a bit too unpredictable. She like sthe long, sweeping smooth pull on the 250 every time and her accuracy indicated that. So, looks like we'll be finding her a second toy in the future! Or a replacement toy and selling the P6 to another friend that wants it bad.

Now, the sad part of the day was the Kimber. I've started having some occassional feed issues from it and have stopped carrying it as a result. I have a lot of rounds through it and have carried it a lot so I'm not upset about it, just needs attention. It started as JHP issues a few weeks ago but I had a couple of FMJ (round nose even) issues yesterday. I believe a few things are to blame: the magazine has been loaded most of its life and probable needs a new spring or replacement, also the recoil spring has endured a variety of loads and is probably aging as well. Between those 2 things I expect it will start to load fine again but I also need to replace the ejector since the tip of that broke an unknown time ago (it still functions so i have no idea when it happened having just noticed it recently)

I'm debating over:
    - fixing the recoil spring and getting a few Wilson mags
    - fixing the springs, and doing some work to the gun too
    - fixing the springs, selling the pistol and using the proceeds to buy/build a nice commander size model just the way I like it for carrying.

I'm leaning towards options 3 because I've wanted to for a while and I don't need both weapons. I've never sold a gun before but I don't have a specific attachment to this particular one so long as its replaced by a better 1911.

I also got to fondle a HK P7 at the range and I think I'm kind of in love!! I was afraid the cocking deal would be strange but I really think I could get used to it, esp with the crisp as fawk trigger on it!

So, 2 things I need from WMD:
    1- suggestions on DAO options for the GF (pref 9mm)
    2- thoughts on the 1911 dilemma? (selling out for a Block doesn't count!)

cliffs: reloaded some stuff, shot some stuff, GF likes DAO, my Kimber jammed, want to buy more guns :bigthumb:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

sell the kimber while you can.

and pics of the gf needed before we give you any recommendations regarding a good DAO pistol.

3. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

nice blog

4. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

thanks Halffast

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

1. M&P
    2. glock
    3. P250

6. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Oh, is the M&P a DAO? I didn't realize that.

7. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

its technically DAO. internally striker fired, just like a glock

8. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

Leaving a magazine loaded does not hurt the spring, its the action of compression and decompression that ruins the life of it

9. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Ah, well I think she's looking for something with the longer pull like the P250 but I'll try to find a few options for her to test before we go down any particular path. I'm just glad she's getting to the point of preference.

So, when you say teechnocally DOA, how is that defined exactly? I mean the striker is "cocked" and the trigger releases it right? Doesn't that make it single action really? Or does the trigger pull it back to some extent? A "true" DAO weapon should drop the hammer every time you pull the trigger, even if it doesn't go off and recock, right? Do glock's do that? Please forgive my ignorance, I'm not much for striker weapons usually....

And I didn't realize it was the cycling, although I suppose that makes sense. If the constant compression had an effect then it would fail a lot sooner. I've loaded and unloaded this mag plenty so I'm not surprised in that respect either really.