GUN Range report..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Thunderbear, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Range report.. Now with an assload of --PICS--

Went to the range the other day to put some rounds downrange in the shotty. I took the girlfriend along and got her hooked. I rented a baby eagle for her and put about 5-7 rounds through it to get her started. She was nervous at first, but she's a damn good natural shot. The only complaint I had was with the firearm itself. Load the magazine, insert magazine, rack slide, safety off, pull trigger, BANG, pull trigger again, CLICK. This happened about 7 or 8 times when we were firing. Granted, the guy shooting the .270 next to us had her nervous, since she jumped every time it fired, but an FTF, much less several, is scary. As near as I can tell, when it did it to me, I was releasing the trigger very slowly, as in slow fire KD course. That's just how I shoot target. With her I don't know what would cause it, but in either case, the next trigger pull just dropped the hammer 3/4's of the way, almost like decocking it. Finally, surrounded by spent Fiocchi 9mm, I grabbed the beast.

By the time I was through the 7 in the tube, you could put your head inside the hole left in the target. :big grin: Slow reload, this time with a few slugs for good measure, and then the target was useless for everything but confetti.

Lessons learned:
    Tighten your Tacstar shit. My light mount had slid all the way up almost off the barrel from recoil.

When shooting lefty, as I am, make sure the last three shells in the sidesaddle are pointing down, brass up, as in the picture. If they are not, they are going to contact your knuckle with painful results.

[​IMG]

Make sure the shotty stock is full in the pocket in your shoulder. I had one flier on my target and it was because the stock had slipped out and subsequently left a bruise.

Baby Eagles are nice guns, they like to put holes in the paper where I point them, but those FTFs are a little disconcerting. I'll chalk it up to it being a POS rental, and still recommend them though.

Targets: filenames :mamoru:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

it was a rental? what are you bitching about then. The firing pin was probably surrounded by dirt or something.

3. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

I just recently bought a Baby Eagle in 9mm, and got to go shoot it today. It shot great, and is probably the most accurate thing i've got in my bag now. I didnt have any problems with it, but then again i only had time to shoot 25 rounds through it :o

4. Thunderbear

Didn't feel like an internal problem.. the hammer went down three quarters of the way, and then just decocked itself. Weird.

Still, it surprised me how accurate it was @ 15,20,25 yards.

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I haven't shot the baby eagle yet but good friend of mine swears by it with his life. He's with Blackwater in Iraq and it's his primary sidearm.

6. Thunderbear

The Beast after a few Uncle Mike's mods:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tacstar is .. umm... not as good as Uncle Mikes.

Drilled and tapped the pistol grip with a sling swivel stud, and again in the folding part of the stock.

Used a Jeep door strap to bulk up the minimag until I find a 1" diam tac light. :o

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  7. Zidane

Zidane OT Supporter

u got some good shots their lol the 2nd one got pwned

8. Thunderbear

I almost went back to Iraq with a civilian company.. how does he like it?

Edit: the company, not Iraq, I know exactly how he feels about that shithole :rofl:

9. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

He likes it. Got me on as well. That's why I am heading over next month. Good money but dangerous as hell.

10. Thunderbear

Good luck.. keep your head down, and make friends with the craziest jarheads you can. :big grin: