GUN Range Finders?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Lox, Aug 11, 2009.

1. The Lox

The Lox New Member

I am looking to pickup a laser rangefinder this month. I currently DO NOT howhunt, but may in the future. Right now the primary use will be for predator hunting.

I was looking to be in the less than $300 range. The main unit I have been looking at lately is the Bushnell Chuck Adams Special, or a Leupold 600.

What are you guys using that works well?

2. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

look into golf range finders, may be cheaper

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I got a nikon laser 800, got it on sale for $245. Has worked well for me for shooting 3 gun. Accurately ranges targets under 500 yards though it is rated out to 800. I question some of the reads I got past 600 though, but that is pretty typical in budget range finders. I typicaly only shoot my AR out to the low 400's.

From what I understand you need a better range finder for hunting. The budget range finders do well on my painted steel targets but maybe not so well on some 4 legged critter.

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I would try to find a used Leica for that kinda money. Might be able to roll a LRF 900 non-scan for there-abouts. Bumping up another benny or so puts you more solidly in the thick of things.

The Leicas are the shit.

5. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

My wife got me a Leupy RX-IV for Xmas. I think it's going to take some practice to be able to range something with it before said something bounces off into the bushes.
    So many different settings for bow and different rifles. It may be too confusing to be practical, but it's a cool toy to have when you need it.

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I don't usually range the animal proper when I'm hunting.....

I wear mine around my neck, and am always ranging areas where there "might" be something coming out (I'm more of a sneak & peak kinda guy). Within 500 yards, a couple yards here and there usually isn't an issue (given I hunt primarily with a 243). Knowing the general range of areas beforehand allows me to just dial and go.

The LRF + Turrets completely revolutionized how I shot long guns. It is dead simple, and opens up doors that were previously only unlocked by huge magnum cartridges.

7. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

That was the big complaint about the first generation of RXs, you couldn't just turn it on and range something, there were menus you had to go through depending on targets.