Randomly Restarting Computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stuff, May 6, 2004.

1. Stuff

Stuff Guest

my computer has been restarting on me lately for no reason. it usually happens when nothing is running except winamp. it has happened to me once while playing Tac Ops.

the specs are:
    3200 Barton AMD XP
    DFI Nforce2 Mobo
    1gb kingston pc 3200
    gforce4 5200 128mb
    80gb WD

i just recently put another 512mb of dual channel ram in. the cpu runs at about 45C when idle and about 51-55C when gaming.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

2. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub The greatest trick the devil ever pulled

Sasser worm? Probably.

Get the critical update from MS and virus scan your ass.

3. DiScoTeknix

DiScoTeknix Guest

If your system gives a 60 second count down before it restarts then it's sasser... enjoy. If it randomly and suddenly reboots with no warning check your event viewer or whatever it's called under admin tools and see waht the last error was.

Also, try right clicking on my computer on the desktop | Advanced tab | Uncheck "Automatically Restart" if it hasn't been unchecked already.

4. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

I currently just added a 2nd 512 chip to mine, and when I would start listening to winamp, it woudl restart. I knew I had no viruses or trojans so I swapped my stick to a diff slot (like slot 3) and it fixed the prob. So I would suggest doing that.

5. tempus

tempus Going quietly insane. OT Supporter

shutdown -a is your friend.

6. Stuff

Stuff Guest

????????????????

7. DiScoTeknix

DiScoTeknix Guest

if you get that "60 seconds until shutdown" thing or whatever shutdown is in progress go start | run | shutdown -a ....or place a shortcut somewhere for "shutdown -a" it aborts the shutdown.

8. Stuff

Stuff Guest

no countdown, just restarts :-(

9. Sizul

Sizul Lord of the Lurkers

the latency of your memory sticks may differ and that can cause this. Make sure they are the same latency. A faulty power supply can also cause this. If the latencies are ok run memtest for 24 hours and see what that finds.

Good Luck.

www.abxzone.com is your friend but it's been down for 2 days cause of updates. Go there you will find a LOT of info on anything.

Sizul

10. KBs

KBs OT Supporter

What kind of power supply are you using. Same thing happened to me when I had a cheap ass PSU.

11. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

Random restarts under load usually point to PSU and/or temp problems. You temps look fine, waht PSU are you using and what are the voltages on the 3.3, 5, and 12 rails, and what is the CPU core voltage?

Oh, and what is your case temp at idle and load?