GUN Random weapons searches - Great how much longer till they happen here?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Dec 14, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sounds like in England they just randomly wand people for weapons now.
    Crackdown takes 179 knives off west Scotland streets
    JOHN INNES

ALMOST 180 knives have been taken off the streets of the Strathclyde Police area after a campaign against violence.

About 20,000 people were stopped and searched by police in the region between 6 November and 3 December. Across Scotland, 500 knives and other weapons - including coshes, machetes, swords and meat cleavers - were seized.

Officers used more than 1,000 metal detectors distributed under the Safer Scotland initiative, recovering 299 knives and 244 other weapons.

Strathclyde led the way in knife seizures with 179, followed by Lothian and Borders Police with 38, and Grampian with 25. Other forces' seizures were: British Transport Police, three; Central, 19; Dumfries and Galloway, one; Fife, six; Northern Constabulary, ten; and Tayside, 18.

Cathy Jamieson, the justice minister said: "Too many young men think it's acceptable to take to the streets with a knife in their pocket. I have a very clear message to them - carry a knife and you are now more likely than ever to be caught."

Chief Inspector Alex McGuire from the Safer Scotland co-ordination unit said: "These figures clearly demonstrate that there are still individuals out there who continue to think it's acceptable to carry a weapon on the streets of Scotland.

2. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

probably as soon as blades and gun are illegal.

Illegal to carry a knife . . . man oh man I don't think I have been without a pocket knife since I was 11 or so.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://news.scotsman.com/glasgow.cfm?id=1849312006
    link for the article
    comment from british sheeple

4. Phantomlord

Phantomlord New Member

Meat cleavers? But what if you're the butcher headed up the street for some smokes and a paper?

5. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

At least some of the people commenting on the board seem to have their head on straight. If that isn't a police state then I don't know what is. I don't see that happening here any time soon, it requires the suspension of more than just one constitutional amendment.

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Knives have no place in a modern society. They are only used to hurt other people. Thank god that England has realized this and are making their country a safer place :hsugh:

7. Gimik

Gimik New Member

god damn that's scary.

8. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

you gotta wonder how many of those tiny swiss-army key chain knives were included in that tally

9. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

So will they need to be licensed to use a butter knife now?

10. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I know it seems very ridiculous but I used to live there and in the Strathy region stabbings are a real problem. Guns have never been the weapon of choice in Britain, especially Scotland, but knives have been the mode of attack for thugs going on centuries now. I lived in a town outside Glasgow and after any Old Firm game (Rangers V Celtic) you would hear of at least one stabbing at one of the 3 pubs within 300 yds of my apt.

Granted it's silly to take everyone's right to carry a tool but at the same time, that is a situation where I can see it for the common good. It's not like there are many people that will carry a knife for defence and know how to use it, not like a handgun. I'll probably get flamed for all of this but I have been there and it is more sensible than it sounds in the article. Besides, I'm sure they weren't stopping people on the daytime streets, it was most likely spot checks of pedestrians on the night streets near clubs, etc. You have to realize there you are frisked going into ANY club, and I do mean every single person, and you can't wear hats in either, people used to sew razor blades into the stitching so they could grab the back of it and sling it as a weapon!

There is of course the argument of how it has gotten this bad to wher ethis is a valid solution but it's simply a different society. People thought I was a complete lunatic for having guns at home. I showed them my carry permit and they thought I needed it just to have a hunting rifle at home!

11. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

only in the hands of chuck norris