GUN Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RealFastV6, Feb 17, 2004.

1. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

I don't mean to come off sounding like a dick here, but I probably will anyways. All I can say is, I suggest that everyone in this forum evaluate their advice from a legal/common sense standpoint before you post. It concerns me to see for example recomendations on carry guns from people who aren't even old enough to get carry permits themselvs, and therefore clearly don't have any firsthand experience on the subject. This isn't directed at anybody specific, but please just be honest about your experiences, and don't just run around repeating everything you hear pretending it's firsthand information. When you're dealing with a subject such as firearms and self defense, there is an aweful lot of misinformation out there, and repeating such misinformation will weigh on decisions that could effect someone's life. Lets try not to make this place the firearms rumor mill, but instead a place to share our experiences. There are plenty of other places people can go if they're just here to beat their chest and brag about how much they think they know.

I'll get off the soapbox now, I promise. :rant2:

Flames > dev/null :nono:

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i locked the thread because i'm too lazy to merge it with the other threads in which this has already been said. i agree with it, and i've said it before, and will again, but i said nearly the exact same thing in another thread only a day or two ago.

but, thanks for the input, it's just redundant.

EDIT: unlocked, because i am curious about how you think that applies to me.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  3. RealFastV6

I notice you removed your birth year from your profile. Was it something I said? :naughty:

I take issue with the fact that you are literally SPEWING information on subjects you clearly have no firsthand experience with. There are over a dozen threads in which people are asking for advice with regards to carry pistols, and you take it upon yourself to give them your advice. You give that advice without citing a source for your information, which CLEARLY can't be yours given the fact that you're too young to even OBTAIN a carry permit in your own state.

You're misleading a lot of people here. The fact of the matter is you haven't carried concealed legally 1 day in your life, and people should be VERY aware of that when they listen to your "opinions". You're clearly not a stupid person, but you seriously need to understand the possible consiquences of the discussions you are taking part in. At the least, people should know where the information is truly coming from.

This is life or death for some folks. If you don't know firsthand, then you don't know.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled 9mm vs .45 debate.

4. Balthazar

Balthazar Guest

Sorry ratfoot but I am inclined to agree.

5. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

6. footratfunkface

no, i've never carried. but i've also never shot anyone. i am still knowledgeable in terminal ballistics. i don't have to qualify myself to you. there are people on this board who respect my opinion. then there are others who don't. i don't give a shit either way. i've always told people to verify shit they hear, especially when it comes to legal stuff. i'll go ahead and extend that to things that involve potential death.

i'm not 21, no. but somehow, upon october 17 of this year, i will become magically able to speak with authority on the issue? i've never carried concealed in public, but i've certainly carried concealed-wise at the range, and drawn and fired from open and from cover more than the average permit-holder. i removed my birth year for exactly that reason. i don't remember when i removed it, but that was exactly why. because you automatically discount the opinions of a person based on age. as if they cannot possibly have any knowledge on the subject. i've NEVER stated or implied that i am an expert on anything. i've never stated or implied that i am an experienced carry permit-holder. so, with that in mind, anyone can make up their own mind about whether or not they would like to believe what i say.

my information does not just come from arbitrary conversations or heresay. it usually comes from a small number of well-established, well-trusted sources. those would be Drs. Roberts and Fackler, tatjana von E. and brouhaha (from ar15.com and ammolab), and ammolab.com. the past FBI reports, when i can find them, also serve as sources. otherwise, i make it clear that it's what i've either HEARD through the grapevine, or seen with my own two eyes. i think that's about all you can ask of someone, isn't it? i've never misrepresented myself. i'd like to think that the reason i got the co-moderatorship in this forum is because i'm knowledgable, fair, and trustworthy.

anyways, i don't care if you disagree with me, but do it on a basis other than my age. my DOB is not reflective of my knowledge, just as your join dates and postcounts are not reflective of yours.

7. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

so how hard is it to carry a full sized 1911 into a mcdonalds and still enjoy your value meal? :mamoru:

8. footratfunkface

if you mean just walking in with one in your hand, hell, i'd imagine the person behind the counter will let you enjoy any meal you want.

concealed, i don't know. and i'd never pretend to. i can only tell you what i can't conceal based upon what i've actually had in a holster on my own body, or seen on my best friend's person, because he is the exact same height, and about 5 pounds heavier than i.

9. RealFastV6

I had about 2 pages typed out, but lets just end this. I've said my piece, and I think you understand what I'm getting at. :cool:

10. footratfunkface

ha. i noticed you sat on the thread for a while, and i couldn't figure out why. now i know: you were typing. i understand. i'll try to do a better job at letting you two know that i'm not a dufus, and that i'm not immature and inexperienced. you're both new to the forum(s), so take some time to get accquainted with me and the other members here, and i think things will go a lot smoother. you've missed out on some of the LONG posts i've made, the 8 page research paper i've done on terminal ballistics, and other assorted stuff that the other people here would probably view as credentials.

i don't mind anyone voicing differing opinions, so don't take this to mean that i want you to agree with me. you can contradict anyone at anytime. i guess what i'm trying to say is: give me more of a chance than you just did, because i haven't passed judgement on either of you in the TINY amount of time that you've been here.

11. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

12. RealFastV6

Let me simplify this.

When you shoot somebody in self defense, and you're sitting on "the stand", and the prosecutor asks "Why is it that you used 180g hollow points to kill my client?"

Your response shouldn't be "Because some 20 year old kid on the internet said they were really good."

The End.

13. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

If you shoot someone they are going to use everything they can against you. Hot rounds and reloaded rounds = bad

14. footratfunkface

if you shoot anyone with ANYTHING, you'd better know why you shot them, first and foremost, and that answer had better be:

he had the means, the opportunity, and the motivation to kill me or someone else at that very moment.

if you cannot say that, you shouldn't have shot the guy.

if asked why you used a particular round, your answer should be:

because i have been informed by various people, and confirmed through my own research of scientifically conducted tests that this round is the best defense round for my pistol, and that it will more effectively stop an attacker than the other rounds available.

if you can't say that, then you have either not done your research, or you're just not using the best rounds available. i don't claim to know EVERY round, but i can tell you that i have done the research, and among readily available rounds, i've already told people the best ones based on scientific testing, not on heresay or what the ad for the round says. you should never base your selections solely on what i say, or what anyone else says. you're setting yourself up for learning the hard way that i was wrong, or someone else was wrong. like i've already said: do your own homework. i'm just trying to suggest which textbooks to use for the class.

15. footratfunkface

even if you load them yourself, reloads are far less reliable than factory loads. don't use them for defense.

16. Platinum_Thunder

God damn...all you guys and your ballistic jelly tests :ugh:

17. RealFastV6

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111oneoneone
    PRICELY THE REASON I'M A SOURCE NAZI WHEN IT COMES TO BALLISTICS AND BULLET CHOICE!!!!!!!111111111
    THANK YOU!

18. RealFastV6

In Ghostbusters 6 if NYC gets attacked by a 200ft Jello Monster, I'll know exactly what rounds to use.

19. Platinum_Thunder

:rofl: :hs:

20. Platinum_Thunder

So what happens if your +p+ 45 (that has been scientifically tested of course) STILL doesn't stop the guy, but a stray round went through 3 walls and killed a little girl?

21. Furner

Furner New Member

those who smartly visit this forum understand these following things:
    1. Your mileage may vary
    2. Consult local rules, laws, and regulations
    3. Take everything you read with a grain of salt.

because of the number of whacked-out gun laws in the US, there is no way for anyone here to give 100% accurate, lawyer-proof advie. It is simply a tool for people to seek and give input on topics. Anyone who cites advice given here while in court is an idiot. Anything you read here that you may want to practice/put to use, you MUST do your own research that if necessary, will stand up in court.

YMMV

22. RealFastV6

A disclaimer is still no substitute for giving complete and accurate information.

23. Furner

Furner New Member

So you are saying that you want to go onto an internet forum and be able to believe everything you read????? Go tell that to the main forum :rofl:

24. RealFastV6

An Internet Forum about Firearms? Yes. :rant2:

25. footratfunkface

hey, i'm going to get back to the original topic of this thread:

i'm now claiming this thread as a "critique my moderating" thread. if you have any questions, comments, complaints, etc., feel free to post them. i contacted SICKMONKEY the other day, asking him to critique me, and i haven't been able to talk to him since, but i'm also wanting your input, because it is not MY forum, it's yours. i feel like i may have jumped in a little too fast and hard, making it seem like i'm an asshole. i didn't mean to do that, if that's in fact how it seemed. so, i'm going to try to take a more hands-off approach for a while, and see if things work alright. like i told SICKMONKEY, i haven't seen him doing any moderating. i think that might be a good thing for me to try a little more.

i still don't like duplicity of threads, but i'm going to let it ride. keep yourselves under control, though. let me know if i've been doing okay, or if my actions of late have been a little overboard.