Random system freezes and unbuffered RAM

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by linuxpyro, Jan 4, 2005.

1. linuxpyro

linuxpyro New Member

At the beginning of last year I finished my Linux workstation. The box has dual AMD MP 2800 procs in it. When I first got RedHat on it, it ran nicely, but it would freeze quite often, namely when I tried to do something like play music. I was using a Gigabyte 7DPXDW mobo, but I accidentally fried the BIOS trying to upgrade it. I then got a Tyan Tiger MPX board, which runs beautifully, but I had the same problems. I went into the BIOS and switched the multiprocessor setting to 1.1 from 1.4. This helped a lot; I can now work with multimedia with little problem. However, I still get crashes. They seem to happen randomly (not as often, but I would like to eliminate them). I have had this happen with numorous distros (including SuSE, RedHat, Fedora, and Gentoo), so I don't think this is the problem. I tried running Windoze XP on this box, and didn't seem to have any problems, though it didn't run as well as Linux does.

One day I was running [email protected] while I wasn't using my box, and noticed that it had gotten a segmentation fault and exited. I Googled around a bit, and found that this can be caused by a RAM issue. In addition to this, I read somewhere that for the dual proc boards, it is best to use ECC RAM, which I don't use (I use 512 MB Kingston unbuffered right now). I ran Memtest86 on this comp a while back without any errors, but I will try again. In the mean time, has anyone had any experiences with the buffered vs unbuffered RAM in the dually boxes? I'm planning on getting some buffered RAM in the future anyway, as my Tyan board can take up to 4 gigs buffered.

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I was considering building an almost exact system for my gf (Tyan dual mobo, 2*MP 2600's, registered PC2700 1GB.)

After reading around i found that registered RAM is really what you want, but running unbufffered *should* not give you problems. More often than not your Processors aren't compatible for w/e technical reason and they cause problems.

To be on the safe side i would just purchase a small amount of registered RAM and run it for a week to see if it cures the problem. b4 doing that though i'd try testing each stick you have seperately, just to see if only 1 might be bad. If u still get freezing try a completely diff unbuffered stick if possible. Your Tyan just might not like you RAM's chips, or maybe the banks you have it sitting in are not right. There's a whole world of different configs you could try.

You're sure the PSU is not defective or the wires you have aren't shorted? I found my gf's current rig froze ~5 times daily randomly (sometimes at idle, other times in-game, othertimes when surfing). Updating the drivers to the latest available from nvidia (NF2 unified drivers) fixed the problem, but that might not be any help for your system...

3. linuxpyro

linuxpyro New Member

I did consider the PSU, but I have a 500 watt Codegen. It seems to hold out; though it is the minimum AMD recommended. What OS are you running?

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Right now Windows XP Professional on SP2, just reformatted :)