random restart leads to computer headache, little help?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FatLuke, Aug 30, 2004.

1. FatLuke

FatLuke not really fat

Hey guys, I just built myself a new computer, Athlon 64 w/ a MSI board, 80 gig serial Western Digital drive. I was messing around with the "cool'n'quiet" application that came with the motherboard, put it on the auto overclocking setting, then my computer had a random restart. It had happened before, and it was no big deal, but this time windows stopped mid-boot. I can't start in safe-mode either. I tried windows xp setup, to try formatting the disk, but it gives me an error before that step saying something along the lines of Windows has stopped in order to prevent damage. Did my hard drive just completely fail, or should i try formatting the drive with another boot disk? Thank guys in advance for any help

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

It sounds like it overheated from overclocking it. How much did you try to overclock it by? I hope you have a good heat sink for that too...

I worked on a machine before that had that problem and it was because of overheating. Windows can somehow detect that and choose not to boot to prevent any further damage. I had to go through Intel's warranty to get a replacement processor.

I'd see if you can it to a shop to have it looked at.

3. Person

Person Guest

yep sounds like overheating to me.

4. Jerboy

Jerboy Guest

Your overclocked settings might have been saved to the CMOS. Your mobo may have a key combo that lets you start up in such event. If it doesn't, crack open the case and clear it with the jumper.

5. FatLuke

FatLuke not really fat

i was looking at the temps, and the CPU temp was around 46 C. That isn't hot enough, is it? The program also has a supposed saftey feature to prevent overheating. Also, I cleared the CMOS. I tried a different hard drive, and the windows set up worked, but I don't want to erase the data on that partition to install windows. thanks for help, if i can't get my orignal drive working, i guess i will have to take it in.

6. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

46C is fine.

7. FatLuke

FatLuke not really fat

i fixed it guys, don't worry about me anymore!