Random rebooting on new browsing machine? Linspire 4.5 and XP Pro.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by karma, Nov 12, 2004.

1. karma

karma you reap what you sow

I bought a computer for web browsing and old games to save wear and tear on my main computer. I got this computer on eBay. Here are the specs:

Pentium III 1.0 Ghz
    896mb PC133 Ram
    Asus CUV4X-E Motherboard
    Nvidia Ti4600 Vid Card

Here is my question. I have swappable hard drive enclosures and I switch between two hard drives: one with Windows XP Pro SP1 and one with Linspire 4.5 (Formerly Lindows). I have never dealt with a Linux OS before and I have noticed that the computer will randomly reboot at least once per session while running Linspire. Is this normal?

It happens in Linspire often, even if just listening to mp3s and browsing the internet.

I thought it was just Linspire, but while running XP Pro, it just did it again. I was only listening to a mp3 using Media Player 10 and browsing with Firefox.

Might my power supply be going bad? This must a fast enough processor for what I am doing, although it seems to 100% out easily in the Task Manager. Maybe I just need a better processor and motherboard?

Cliffs – Why the random reboot?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ebay == bad idea for computers.

could be bad psu, cpu, memory, mobo... Also could be a poor os install. Did you do it? Chipset drivers installed?

run a memory test and the seagate diagnostics (free). other than that, try a fresh install of XP...

3. karma

Both Windows and Linspire are fresh installs on their respective hard drives. I installed XP from my own disk on a freshly formatted hard drive. I installed Linspire from a CD that I downloaded and burned (with nero) directly from Linspire and checked the MD5 Checksums and everything appeared fine to me.

I just ran SiSoftware Sandra Benckmarking utilities on the CPU and the Memory and they both took the tests well, no problems.

I have ran Sandra's tests several times over the past couple weeks and the computer has not froze or reboot during the CPU or Memory burn.

I also ran another CPU stability test for a few minutes and there was no reboot.

The CPU was running at 100% for most of all of these tests, so I am confident in it given that the computer has only rebooted during internet browsing and not during these tests.

Any other ideas? :dunno:

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you didn't mention if you installed chipset drivers?

could be the network card if it only happens while browsing. I've seen them cause reboots before.

5. karma

I did not install chipset drivers. I did not know I had to.

As far as the network card, this is the second one I have used, and it has rebooted while not on the internet also.

Thanks for your help.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, there's your problem.. You MUST install chipset drivers. It's a mute point now, your xp install is borked. reformat, reinstall, and install the chipset drivers this time :rolleyes:

7. karma

I updated the bios. Stopped using Mozilla and switched to Opera for the browser, and have not had a single problem yet. Knock on wood.

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Generally you don't need to install any chipset drivers on a Linux OS though, so that wouldn't explain random rebooting in Linux.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I agree, but he was very insistant that it wasn't hardware (although I think it is).

besides, Linspire isn't really linux ;)

10. Penguin Man

I've never heard of Linspire :dunno: It definitely sounds like hardware. particularly overheating.

11. karma

Actually, if it came off that way, it wasn't supposed to. I was thinking it was hardware, but I didn't know what. I was starting to wonder how stable "Linux" was though.

I don't think overheating was a problem, I installed an extra cooling fan, the hard drives are in metal enclosures with a dedicated bottom fan and even when leaving the side of the case off, the problem still occurred.

Anyways, not one reboot since updating the bios and switching to Opera. I am really starting to think that the bios update alone solved whatever problem it was.

Thanks so much for your helpful suggestions.

Penguin Man is correct, I only experienced 2 reboots in XP but numerous (~25) in LInspire.

I know that Linspire is not really Linux, but I am taking some baby steps here in my possible migration. I already have burned Suse 9.1 Personal as well to try. I also have Mandrake 10 and Fedora Core 2 (I think 2 not 3), but it seems like a (slight) majority say Suse is the way to go. ;)

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'll throw my vote in for Fedora. It's the best beginners distro, imo.

13. Penguin Man

I think SuSE is the best beginner distro around, but I've never actually tried Fedora out. I'm a big SuSE fan.