Random injuries suck

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Elfling, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Had a terrific run going last night, till my left calf decided to spaz out to the point I couldn't walk on it. RICE'd it, I can walk on it today but it's sore as a bitch ><. I have no clue what it did, there was no pop/crackle/snap, it's not the tendon, it just feels like the soleus decided to curl up and die for a while :rofl:

Guess it's upper body night and no cardio for me :ugh:

(And before the cardio hating starts, for anyone who doesn't know <---I'm a chick, and I have a specific ratio of cardio that I like to do as well as lift)

2. jaymode

jaymode New Member

I get that too. Even stretching does not seem to help me. Whats worse are the pains that just appear, when you are not doing anything at all. THat happened to my shoulder last night, I was just sitting there and it started hurting. I figured I would sleep it off, but it got worse.

3. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Pork Chop Sandwiches Extraordinary Member

Sounds like a cramp. Drink some Gatorade or some other sports drink.

4. Elfling

Elfling New Member

I don't think it's an electrolyte or potassium problem given my high in fruits and veggies diet. I think it's probably a combo of increased hill work and needing new running shoes :ugh: which I won't be able to afford for another paycheck or so, wee.

5. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Running shoes have nothing to do with a likelihood to cramp up. If you've been doing more hill work, you've been working your calves more. If you're not properly hydrated and electrolytes are not replenished, you will cramp up more than ever. In your case, it is very unlikely that your diet supplies sufficient electrolytes for how much running it seems you are doing.

6. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Considering I mentioned neither mileage nor conditions I think you're assuming a lot :p It wasn't a cramp, still isn't. The electrolyte hype is over-wrought also imo; gatorade and so on has no place calorically in my diet and never will.

And shoes have a hella lot to do with injuries/strains/etc in running. So does your tendency to pronate or supinate.

7. Socrates

Socrates New Member

8. UncleJohn

UncleJohn "That guy"

vacum cleaners also suck

9. Pork Chop Sandwiches

You're right, bad shoes can facilitate a lot of injuries. But they wouldn't have much to do with cramping unless the shoes were messing up your running form that badly.

Everything I've said in this thread assumes that your injury is a cramp. If it's not, and you started this thread just to say you had an injury, then great.

Plato: :fawk:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.