Random computer restarts

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zak8022, May 5, 2006.

1. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
    1GB value ram
    nVidia FX 5700 256MB
    250GB Western Digital HD (x2)
    120GB Seagate HD
    500w Diablotek power supply

Ok, now that that is outta the way... my computer is experiencing fairly random restarts. It does seem to happen more during gameplay, but not at the same point in a game or anything like that. It does not matter how long i'm playing... could be 5 minutes, could be after an hour.

I have had other weird problems with this pc in the past. For a while, whenever i plugged or unplugged any usb device, my pc would freeze and i'd have to do a hard restart. Somehow that fixed itself... and hasnt been a problem lately.

I'm experienced with computers and their internals... i built this computer.

Any thoughts, or ideas are welcome.

ibgetanewpsu

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Are you getting any blue screens? Errors in the event log?

3. 7960

7960 New Member

random reboots is power supply...it's easy enough to swap it out with a used one and see if the problem continues. Try that.

4. EvanD

EvanD Active Member

:werd:

5. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

No blue screens.

Unfortunately i dont have a spare psu laying around... what would i need to look for in a new one? I know i've read little bits regarding the 12v rail... but i dont know what is a good rating and whats not.

6. JaJae

JaJae New Member

The FX5700 isn't gonna draw much power. You may want to get a more powerful PSU for future upgradeability. A good budget PSU would be something like an Antec 425-500 watt psu.

7. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Thats what i was thinking... but i do have 3 HDs going... so i wasnt sure how much is too much.

I might just hold out for a new computer all together. There's alot of things i have learned since i built this computer, and its starting to be a little aged.

8. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

random restarts and freezing are also from overheating which you could check out especially since you say it happens during gaming which will put a pretty heavy load on the processor. if neither the power supply or heating turn out to be the problem try getting new RAM