GUN Ran the first batch of .223 on my Dillon

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Jun 26, 2009.

1. I finally got my ass in gear and started loading .223. I've loaded plenty of rifle before, but it was all in the pursuit of great accuracy, so this is the first time I've cranked out bulk rifle ammo on a progressive. I loaded up 50 rounds, and I'm gonna hit the range today with them to see how they work.

A quick question... what's the most efficient way to load rifle on the single stage? Basically I started with a bunch of cases I'd already deprimed and swaged, then I grabbed a handful and checked them for case length. The ones that were too long got trimmed, the ones that weren't were left alone. Then I lubed them and then ran them through the Dillon. Once I'd loaded as many as I wanted, I wiped them off and ran each one through my cartridge gauge to check for headspace issues. Is there a more efficient way to do this?

[​IMG]

2. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Pics of your setup?

I don't know anything about reloading, I just want to see pictures.

3. This is an older pic from when I was loading .45 on it, but I suppose it looks the same.

[​IMG]

4. Styk

Styk Active Member

:rofl:

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I don't think there is a fast easy way to reload 223 on a single stage. Regardless your going to have to touch each case/round 3 times. Only way to speed up the process is to drop $$$ to get a dillon 1050, a bullet feeder, and a auto drive.

I do way too much work myself so I don't know if you want to copy me, although my ammo is very good. I first hand sort through my range brass. The good stuff gets set aside for long range ammo, the ok stuff for short range ammo, and the bad stuff for recycle. Cases get tumbled. Then I lube cases and resize and deprime. During this process I make sure the shoulder is set perfect. Next I guage and trim, chamfer, and deburr if nessasary. All the usasable stuff goes in the tumbler to get all the lube off. Primer pockets are checked, swagged, cleaned. Then it is off to loading. I load with no lube, just don't need it at this point. After loading I guage everything again.

I have since speed up the process by making use of friends 1050 w/ autodrive. We dump cases into the 1050 by the bucket and the machine is completely automated. Dillon power trim and it just chugs through resizing, swagging, trimming. We just need to clean, sort and lube the case before hand or as we go. After we process everything gets tumbled a second time.

I then go though my stuff and chamfer, and deburr the neck, check, clean and chamfer the primer pockets. All these cases are then set aside for loading at a later time. I reload 223 in batches of 1000 on a 650.

6. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Looks pretty clean.

Thanks.

7. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

[y]VtfHuN7MrU0[/y]

That's awesome.

8. Thank you. It sure is easier to reload for pistol stuff. :hs: