Ran on the treadmill for the first time EVER today....2 questions

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Johnny Burners, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Burners

Johnny Burners Indeed...

1) I noticed that anytime I got the speed fast enough on the treadmill where I had to begin running, my heart rate SOARED to the point where I was way over my target rate of 156. I want to run, but it seems anytime start running my heart rate jumps to 170-180. What the hell? Walking just isn't fun.

2)Why in the holy hell do my ankles hurt so fucking much?

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

1) you're out of shape... but a 156bpm heart rate isn't too really high for running. keep running and you will get used to it.

2) you're out of shape... its going to take a while for your bodyparts/joints get used to the motion of running.

make a point to notch the incline up a bit and keep at it.

3. Johnny Burners

Johnny Burners Indeed...

Awesome. Thank you.

4. Elfling

Elfling New Member

What Maine said. Don't sweat the HR, unless you get dizzy/really out of breath in which case back off the speed.

Get good shoes.

5. HardTech

HardTech hungry

it's better for you to run on a flat surface. Like elfling said, get some great shoes and you'll be on your way to a much better body.

Start out slow, but keep at it. That's the most important thing.. you're going to feel like quitting the moment your heart rate goes above normal, but get out there 4 days a week and you'll feel much better by the 3rd week or so

6. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

get good running shoes, and do not over do it at the start. I've been immobilized for like 8 weeks now with a terrible case of shin splints. It fucking sucks ass.

7. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

who cares what the machine says about your heart rate, if you arent feeling like you are dying then keep running.

as for your ankles, that should get better with time, dont overdo anything and get really bad shinsplints

8. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

:werd:

it fucking sucks shit. Did I mention that it fucking sucks, and they never go away.

9. SmartPowders

SmartPowders New Member

Build your tib anterior and that will help. I was the only runner on my team NOT to get shin splints. Everytime I took a shit in college I would do toe lifts to build them. There is no doubt it worked. Get a paper cup, fill it with water, freeze it, tear the top .5" off the cup and rub the SHIT out of those knots with it. It's hard to do it, cause it hurts, but this is the best way to treat them short term. If you can get someone else to do it, while you sqeeze something that won't break, that helps.

Get a good pair of shoes, replace the insoles with something made for running. If you want to try something a little different for 2 weeks, walk the treadmill on an incline at the fastest pace you can walk without your hands on the rails. You'll start with a 5 minute warmup before you get to this. Try to go up in 2.5 minute intervals each session. It's hard as hell, very effective and works your hammie/glute tie-in like a mofo.

10. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Never go away as in never stop hurting or never go away as in medically they are still there? I swear I had them when I was a lot younger and now they don't bother me at all.

11. Elfling

Elfling New Member

If you have shinsplints that "never go away" you need to look into some rest, ice and stretching, and likely take a good look at your running: are you consistently running on the same surface, same incline/decline, etc? Change it up.

12. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

it will heal, but takes a long fucking time.

13. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

i had them when i started walking/running when i started going to the gym, i dont have that pain anymore though

14. Finest

Finest OG #93

Fuck, you got me lifting my toes and tapping the floor now! :bowdown:

15. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

:bigthumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.