RAMBUS Heat Problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rsxm5, Sep 6, 2004.

1. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

One of my older systems is an older Pentium 4 1.8 in an Intel D850GB motherboard. I originally had 2 sticks of 256MB PC800 RAMBUS in the system, and it ran just fine. I recently added another 2 sticks of the same kind of RAM into the system, and since then I have been getting overheat alarms from Intel's Active Monitor (System Zone 2 gets up to about 125 degrees F). I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I can keep this system cool. I have 1 case fan up front, and 2 in the back, and still the only way I can run the system without getting that alarm, is when I use it with the case off. Even then, it still overheats once in awhile, and I blow a big box fan on it, that brings it back down to about 105. I was considering buying a new case, but wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions before I did that.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Have you dusted your cpu fan or checked the intake fan recently to see if it's clogged with dust? Also, check the direction of the airflow, you want in the front and out the back.

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Yeah, I checked that. All the fans are new and clean. Airflow seems ok. I was going to try out some rounded cables to see if that made a difference. Are there any fans that will mount to the heatsinks on the RAMBUS, and blow down on it?