RAM Upgrade?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by steve3p0, Dec 11, 2005.

1. steve3p0

steve3p0 New Member

Here are CPU-Z screenshots of my system:

[​IMG]

I currently have two sticks of 512mb, using dual channel. As you can see, the stats aren't stellar, and it is quite old (made in 2002).

Everything looks decent, and I have great FPS in games, but the major problem for me is the stuttering. Using and fps monitor, I can see my FPS is always very high (80+ in Dod:source), but games "hickup" every few seconds, when turning corners, looking around, etc. Its especially bad right after a new map loads, but it seems to get somewhat better after a few minutes. It is still very annoying. This is a universal problem, from HL2:Single Player, DoD:Source, BF2, and F.E.A.R. My gut tells me its the ram. It is pretty much the only thing I did not upgrade from my old system, besides my sound card/hard drives/optical drives(they are fairly decent). I noticed that turning down texture quality helps the most, but I didn't buy a 7800gt and an AMD 4000+ to play games on "medium" video settings.

Would I benefit much, if at all, from upgrading to this RAM?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210

Specifications:

Model Brand OCZ
    Model
    OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K
    Type
    184-Pin DDR SDRAM
    Tech Spec
    Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
    Speed
    DDR 400 (PC 3200)
    Cas Latency
    Timing
    2-3-2-5
    Voltage 2.6V
    ECC
    No
    Registered/Unbuffered
    Unbuffered
    Heat Spreader
    Yes

also...whats the difference between pc3200 and pc4000? is pc4000 better? it seems like anything > pc3200 has higher "timings" than pc3200. whats the deal?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  2. altezza2k2

altezza2k2 New Member

the differance between pc3200 and pc4000 is the frequency that the memory operates at. pc3200 runs at 200 mhz or 400 mhz effective (ddr), the pc4000 runs at 250 mhz, 500 mhz ddr. the reason pc4000 has higher timings is because it is able to clock faster. the faster clock more than makes up for the looser timings. the memory you currently own is pretty slow stuff, both in terms of frequency and timing. if youre looking to get some more performance out of your computer, simply upgrading to 2 gigs probably wont do it. i doubt you will see any differance in speed unless you are in actuallity a huge power user who loves to have 50 million things open at once.

i doubt that your stuttering problem is because of your ram, however the ram is definatly not helping the situation. if it was me in your shoes, i would probably get 2x 512 mb pc4000 with tight timings and overclock the crap out of the computer. your processor should be able to hit 2.6+ ghz NO problem. however, if you feel like since your upgrading your memory anyways, you might as well go for 2 gigs, thats not so bad.

as for your stuttering problem, you said you upgraded certain parts, did you do a fresh install of windows after you upgraded? you get all the latest drivers for you hardware? what motherboard are you running?

p.s. newegg has an awesome sale going on right now, i just ordered 2 of these myself for my athlon 64 system
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146396

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  3. sowapowa

sowapowa New Member

re

You could upgrade your ram if you like. From what I've read, BF2 really seems to like 2GB of ram.

Also, if you choose to overclock, you should either run your ram at 200Mhz with tight timings while using a ram divider or run your ram at greater than 230+Mhz with loose timings. I think the higher your frequency - the less the timings matter.

If you want a reasonably priced 2GB set, you might want to look at Gskill ZX. I've read that some people were able to get 250Mhz+ on it.

Btw, PC3200 means rated to run at 200Mhz stock and PC4000 means rated to run at 250Mhz stock. So yes PC4000 is a lot better, but some PC3200 ram can clock to 250Mhz but nothing is guaranteed.

4. steve3p0

steve3p0 New Member

Thanks for the information, and that ram looks pretty slick.

I completely formatted my windows partition, installed XP pro with sp2. My other drives are regularly defragmented. I'm using the latest video drivers from the nvidia website, the latest chipset drivers for my motherboard. This is the motherboard I'm using:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboard/board.php?name=NF4ST-A9

I'm not too keen on overclocking, my cooling system isn't fantastic. I have several case fans, but my machine sits in an unventilated corner of the room. My processor idles at about 38-40 degress (celcius.)

I've heard of people running BF2 on all high settings with an almost identical machine(same processor and video card, 2gb of the ram similar to what I linked in my first post). The stuttering becomes unbearable if I push the settings anywhere past "medium." Same with Half-Life 2. That damn game has been out for a year now and my system still can't fucking run it smoothly.

5. altezza2k2

altezza2k2 New Member

i agree with you that your settup should run that no problem. you might have some other problems going on though besides the ram. if its idling at 40 degrees, what is it at full load? that could be your problem

as for the memory, more memory never hurts and since you should probably update your ram to something with faster timings a the very least, 2 gigs of pc4000 might not be such a bad idea. the ram i linked is an awesome deal from one of the best memory makers out there. cheapest i could find that ram anywhere else is 140 a stick, so i jumped on the offer.

6. steve3p0

steve3p0 New Member

yeah man, that ram looks hot.that $20 MIR for each stick is :bigthumb:

I haven't checked my temps at full load...i guess Ill go load up BF2 and see...

7. steve3p0

steve3p0 New Member

Well I guess I was reading the wrong temperature in "SpeedFan"(the program im using to monitor temps.) After looking at the before/after screenshots(at the bottom) I am now pretty sure the processor temperature is "Temp3", my idle temp is 33c and my "full load"(playing bf2/winamp) is about 39-40c. Other than the hard drives, im not sure what the other temperatures are for. I'm pretty sure nothing inside of my system is on fire so ignore the 127c readings.

"idle":
    [​IMG]

"full load":
    [​IMG]

I'm still experiencing the extreme choppiness/stuttering :wtc:

8. altezza2k2

altezza2k2 New Member