Ram Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by slowexcoupe, Nov 7, 2003.

1. slowexcoupe

slowexcoupe Guest

I have a Dell Dimension 4300 that's about 2 years old. 1.5 ghz pentium 4, 128 mb ram, running windows ME. Lately, it's been freezing up, crashing, and runnning extremely slow when more than two windows are open.

I've been thinking of getting some more ram for this computer, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make. Or should I upgrade to windows XP?

Also, do the new sticks of ram just pop into the socket and your ready to go? I've installed an ethernet card before, but that's as far as it goes. Can I install a 256 mb ram alongside the existing 128 mb?

Thanks in advance for the help. Sorry if I sound like a dummy.

Mike

2. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

I was pretty much in your same situation about a year ago. I had a new Dell with a 1.9 P4 with only 128 Mb of RAM and I was using XP. It was slower that Christmas. Trust me, you do NOT want to upgrade to XP without at least 256 Mb. To answer your question, yes you can fix your problem with one 256 Mb stick, and it is very easy to install--just plug it in. You will notice the difference immediately, it's like a whole new computer. This will give you 384 Mb, which will be plenty for most any application you will ever use, except for real high-end gaming of course. I highly reccommend visiting www.crucial.com. They're website will help you figure out what kind of RAM you'll need and it's usually pretty cheap. I think I paid around $30 for a 256Mb chip. Plus it comes with good instructions. Hope I helped.

3. 6Double5321

6Double5321 Into the blue again, after the money's gone

ME sucks ass. Upgrade to XP and get at least another 128 MB of memory.

4. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

Yes I know it is smart to have more memory when upgrading to XP, but I did throw XP on a computer that I was working on it it only had 128mb. You could tell a huge difference in speed, from ME to XP and only with 128mb of memory. Suprisingly it wasn't slow at all.

In your case, I would say go out and get XP, install it, and if it is slow, I would upgrade your memory. In most cases, it probably will be slow, but just incase it isn't, and you don't use any big programs, you should be fine.

5. slowexcoupe

slowexcoupe Guest

Thanks for the replies guys.

One more question. The Dell website says something about only using ram specially for Dell computers. Is there a problem with using other brands? I'm sure there probably isn't, I just wanted to make sure that there weren't any warranty issues or anything. I doubt it because the computer is already two years old.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

6. sleev

sleev It's sleep, life, and death It's speed, coke, and

I use non-Dell RAM in Dell mobos all the time, no problems yet!

7. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

dell is just bullshit. Lemme guess you also have RD ram?