RAM upgrade for my MBP, any advice? Also, a question about the comp locking up. . .

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by niquesuave06, Dec 4, 2007.

1. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I've got a 2.16GHz MBP with 1gb of RAM, but its just not cutting it. . .its incredibly slow when I'm running multiple programs, especially if photoshop is involved :hs:

I'm thinking about upgrading to either 2gb or 4gb of RAM, but Apple's prices seem way too high. Would it be a poor decision to go with non-Apple RAM? Could anyone recommend other brands that I should consider? When it comes down to it, I'll pay however much is necessary to buy the 'right' thing, I just don't want to overpay if I can help it :hs:

As far as the computer locking up. . .I swear this thing will freeze up 3+ times per day, depending on how much I use it (Not usually more than a total of 4-5 hours, at the very most). It almost always happens when something 'animated' occurs. . .such as when I minimize or maximize something. Any idea what could be causing this? I'm still running Tiger, I can't upgrade to Leopard until I buy an external HDD :o

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

3. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

If your MBP is a Core Duo, that means that the maximum is 2 gb. So check if you've got 2x512 or 1x1024. If you have a 1x1024, then you can get a 1 gb stick and you're maxed out. However if you have 2x512, then to max out, you'll need 2x1024, unless 1.5 gb will cut it for you, which it sounds like it might not.

Otherwise, if you've got a C2D, then go all out!

4. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

FYI, anything labeled on newegg as "Mac Memory" might as well be labeled "Regular Memory + 50% markup". It's the same shit, just do some research in the reviews on each chip to see who successfully used it in their Macs.

5. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

:bowdown:

Thanks for all the info. I'd buy that RAM at newegg in a heartbeat, but I checked the specs on my MBP and its a Core Duo :wtc: The only good news is I have 1x1024 currently, so it sounds like I'll only need 1gb of RAM to max it out.

Is there a simple answer as to why the Core Duo maxes out at 2gb of RAM?

I was looking forward to upgrading to 4gb :hs:

6. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

usually it's a limitation of the northbridge; I think CD macs can only handle 2GBs, the first C2D MBPs could only handle 3GB because of an older northbridge, and the santa rosas can handle 4GB.

7. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

8. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

:bigthumb: Awesome, thanks! I'll be ordering that tonight or tomorrow :cool: