Ram slots question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bcr821, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

I posted this in the main forum but it didn't work so i thought i'd try here...

So i have the Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe and it has 4 ram slots. They are as follows: 1A 1B 2A 2B. 1A is closest to the processor and moves outward.

I just bought a new heatsink and fan and it's pretty big. I have 2 pieces of 512 corsair XMS ram. They are pretty tall. If i have the two ram sitcks installed in 1A and 2A (for dual channel) the ram in 1A will hit the heatsink and will prevent it from sitting on the processor correctly.

My questions are:

1) If i put the ram in both 2A and 2B will it recognize the ram and
    2) If i put the ram in 1B and 2B will i still have dual channel?

2. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

1. Yes
    2. Yes, I think so
    3. Nice Av

3. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

ok cool, thanks

the av rocks, someone here made it for me becuase it's my smiley

4. jimbo_jones

jimbo_jones New Member

XDude is correct, but I would like to add that although your question to #1 is yes, you would not be taking advantage of dual channel at that point.
    My rule of thumb is that I use the color coding of the slots to make sure that I am taking advantage of the dual channel.
    Slots of the same color have to be used in order to take advantage of dual channel.

5. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

yes it's correct, it used to be the other way but someone switched it for me and fazzle put it on here and changed the name

6. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

yeah i know, i just can't do it due to the physical size of the ram...but as soon as i bump up to 2gb i'll get it back

is it a huge difference to go dual channel?

7. jimbo_jones

jimbo_jones New Member

It has been so long since the transition to dual channel took place that it might be difficult to dig up articles showing the difference between single and dual channel. The difference is going to depend on the individual system and the application being used. Suffice it to say that it can make a pretty large difference, but not always.